This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Network Setup?

I've been using 8.04 and have loved it. I have tried each release since 8.10 and have had various problems.
    I really want to update my system to 9.10, but based on my previous experience, I loaded it on a test box first.
    Everything appears to work great, except it will not allow me to manually connect to my network.
    I have applied the correct name and IP address (same as the previous 8.04 on this test box). Also added my office network DNS servers and everything *appears* to be accepted. Before I replaced the old system, I printed out the ifconfig info just so I could be sure they were identical.
    There are no error messages and yet any attempt to browse to Yahoo, Google, etc. shows it cannot find those servers.
    I tested it with a DSL connection and DHCP works fine. It is only a manual setup that doesn't appear to work properly.
    I can understand something totally new not working. But network connection is critical and manual setup has been working for a long time. What did they do to change it?

Re: Manual Network Setup?

Good news and bad news.
    Bad news is that Network Manager just won't work properly on this system. Don't know why.

Good news is that I found a manual solution on the bottom of this page:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3104277.0

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Comment

Your problem is almost certainly a DNS issue. I have a "Howto" here that will explain how to modify your resolv.conf file.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

I'm kind of curious if anyone else is having problems with network-manager. It was buggy in Jaunty and I removed it. I have my connection configured as auto with dhcp and static with my router as dns server and it lets me switch between the two without any kind of reboot in 9.10. I never had to touch the interfaces file in Karmic. It remembers my last setting so I only need to reset it if I go from home to office. I can't test wireless until I install native. So far so good unless the wireless is still broken.
        linux && bash = "the future"

Comment

I'm kind of curious if anyone else is having problems with network-manager
          I have the same problem, it is also DNS problem. I got used to it since Intrepid. It was last year in November when I thought that is was so serious that it would be solved in a week or so and I did connection manually. Now a year after I tried Live CD of Karmic and the problem was still there.
          I can live with it, but I remember me switching from Ubuntu Gutsy to Kubuntu Gutsy the first day I saw it just because I was not able to save network settings.
          I was sad to see, that SLAX (of course with Kde 3) had last month no problem with my network and connected by itself.
          And I do not understand developers at all.
          Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

For those, who still have the problem with DNS the simple solution:
            Make a file resolv.conf in home directory and write to it for example with Kate your DNS servers
            Code:
            nameserver 213.46.172.36
            nameserver 213.46.172.37
            Then run this shell command to copy it to /etc directory
            Code:
            $ sudo cp resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
            Immediately after this network is working. Click a geared wheel in the system tray to finish installation and then install wicd from repository.
            I did it for Intrepid and Jaunty and I hope it will work for ever.

Updated:
            How to recognize DNS problem: Network manager claims, that network works, you can reach local computers but you cannot reach Internet sites. When you move a mouse over network icon you see a window with ip address, but there are not DNS servers, even if they were correctly manually filled in in the network manager dialog.
            How to install wicd: Install Synaptic first and then install wicd using Synaptic. During wicd installation you will be informed that current network manager will be uninstalled. Let it uninstall.
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

The Windows Network Setup Wizard, provided on computers running Windows XP, is a convenient way to setup your network. Sometimes though, you need to setup things manually.

In cases where you can't use the Network Setup Wizard, you'll be using the Network Connection Wizard.

* Please start by reviewing Networking Your Computers, if you haven't already.
              * From Settings, open Network Connections. Find the network connection that you'll be using. The most common one is called Local Area Connection. Right click on the appropriate connection, and choose Properties. Make sure the following network components are installed, in the network items list.
              o Client for Microsoft Networks.
              o File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.
              o Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
              * Make sure that the Internet Connection Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) (pre-SP2), or Windows Firewall / Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) (SP2) service is running - Started and Automatic.
              * Configure your firewall setup, including installing any third party firewalls, after you run the wizard.
              ======================================

second mortgage articles
              champion action tech sports bra

Comment

Working...
              X