Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED!] Kubuntu install wont boot to desktop! Stuck in terminal mode. HELP!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED!] Kubuntu install wont boot to desktop! Stuck in terminal mode. HELP!

Back again, this time with an older computer fresh install problem.
    I have WinXP on it's own HDD. On a second HDD I had older versions of Ubuntu & some extra NTFS for WinXP. So, I decided to install Kubuntu 9.10 64bit over all of this second HDD. Used the 3.3GB DVD install version of Kubuntu 9.10 & selected the second HDD to erase it entirely & install Kubuntu on it.

After restarting I get to the GRUB screen & it doesn't say Kubuntu but Ubuntu with a kernel selection along with WinXP @ the bottom. XP boots fine. Booted with 1st selection, the Kubuntu boot-up screen comes up but then goes to black & looks like the terminal. Says Ubuntu 9.10 tty1 & prompts for user name, then password. Then says to run as administrator...

Huh? Help! What's wrong?

Re: Kubuntu install wont boot to desktop! Stuck in terminal mode. HELP!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=978295

I found a post @ ubuntuforums & tried startx after typing user name & password. This failed saying screens were found but none that had usable configuration.

Comment

Since you get dropped to a terminal, did you get any test before you reached the terminal?

Have you tried to edit grub on the fly and remove quiet to see if any errors messages appear.

Also check /var/logs, and xsesssion error files in your home folder.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks for your response.
        Originally posted by verndog
        Since you get dropped to a terminal, did you get any test before you reached the terminal?
        It takes a while before it gets to Ubuntu 9.10 tty1 & prompts for user name, then password.

Have you tried to edit grub on the fly and remove quiet to see if any errors messages appear.
        I'm not sure how to do this.

Can I move to /var/logs in the terminal then read xsesssion? I'll try this.
        I did try booting from the Live DVD & it fails just the same; never getting to the desktop.

Comment

This is really weird but when I just booted to try these things you mentioned it booted up normally. Previously I did an update in a safe boot mode, then installed a newer GRUB. I restarted instead of shutting down then booting if that makes any difference. Go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by DERG

I get to the GRUB screen & it doesn't say Kubuntu but Ubuntu
            This is a non-issue -- the kernels are all named "ubuntu" even if used for Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc. etc.

with a kernel selection along with WinXP @ the bottom. XP boots fine.
            This sounds like the Grub boot menu was built and installed correctly -- no worries.

Booted with 1st selection, the Kubuntu boot-up screen comes up but then goes to black & looks like the terminal. Says Ubuntu 9.10 tty1 & prompts for user name, then password.
            This is caused by lack of a video driver or incorrect video configuration. (Actually it's an old-fashioned normal login screen for the command line interface to unix). When the K Display Manager (KDM) tried to run, it croaked due to lack of a configured video drive, and the fallback is the tty terminal.

So, we'll need to see what the graphics chip is.
            Code:
            lspci
            will list the devices and if you post the output we'll see what the graphics chip is, along with the audio and other useful things to know.

Comment

My previous post; This is really weird but when I just booted to try these things you mentioned it booted up normally. Previously I did an update in a safe boot mode, then installed a newer GRUB. I restarted instead of shutting down then booting if that makes any difference. Go figure!
              My computer uses a nVidia video card which may have been the issue as it acted like it ran out of memory. Maybe the update & change of GRUB in the safe mode repaired that but it is working now. I did have to update to the v185 of the video driver to get a full screen. It did re-boot okay.
              Thanks

Comment

I did try booting from the Live DVD & it fails just the same; never getting to the desktop.
                (1) When grub menu appears, select the OS of choice then type 'e', and your brought inside the title menu. Its all editable, so go to the 'linux' line and at the end you can delete out or add what you do/don't want for this session. then Ctrl+x will boot that OS.

(2) /var/log can be viewed this way. "K > Applications > System > System Logs Viewer"
                Boot Info Script

Comment

Re: [SOLVED!] Kubuntu install wont boot to desktop! Stuck in terminal mode. HELP!

Thanks for your help. I'm sure you noticed that everything is working now. It must of corrected itself when I updated in Generic Recovery Mode, then re-wrote the GRUB.

(2) /var/log can be viewed this way. "K > Applications > System > System Logs Viewer"

I'm sure you can tell I'm not very familiar with these things. With the problem I was having the system acted like it was booting but then would go into a terminal, black screen & all that said Ubuntu 9.10 tty1. It then propped for user name & password. So, that's is as far as it would go; no Desktop.
                  Are you saying I can navigate to "K > Applications > System > System Logs Viewer" from there because this looks like something I would to do once reaching the Desktop? This would be good to know. Thanks.

Comment

Dear verndog and DERG,

how do you exactly "rewrite" GRUB? What should I "write" after typing "e"?

GNU GRUB version 1.97~beta4

insmod ntfs
                    set root=(hd0,2)
                    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set b096519596515cc2
                    loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
                    set root=(loop0)
                    linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic-pae root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
                    initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic-pae

Originally posted by verndog

(1) When grub menu appears, select the OS of choice then type 'e', and your brought inside the title menu. Its all editable, so go to the 'linux' line and at the end you can delete out or add what you do/don't want for this session. then Ctrl+x will boot that OS.

As I mentioned in my OP, my graphic card is 1.5GB NVIDIA Quadro® FX 4800, and I truly believe this it the reason causing so much problem

Thanks,
                    shadowh

Comment

Originally posted by shadowh
                      how do you exactly "rewrite" GRUB? What should I "write" after typing "e"?

insmod ntfs
                      set root=(hd0,2)
                      search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set b096519596515cc2
                      loopback loop0 /ubuntu/disks/root.disk
                      set root=(loop0)
                      linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-20-generic-pae root=/dev/sda2 loop=/ubuntu/disks/root.disk ro quiet splash
                      initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-20-generic-pae
                      I suggest to remove the "quiet"(now marked in red), so you see more text messages. Try that first and then if you see nothing apparent, edit grub again and add "nomodeset" at the end of the "linux" line.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                      X