This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No X

Hi, I've been just a happy user for some time now - until I decided to install Karmic Koala to my old Toshiba laptop - Satellite A10.

I use an exterrnal LCD screen, and a wireless keyboard/mouse over a keyboard/mouse/monitor divider.

This works with no problem in XP.

When I try booting into Kubuntu this happens:

The Grub menu appears on the external screen, and I can use the external keyboard to choose what OS to use.

If I choose one of the Kubuntu kernels, after some time I get a graphical login screen.

At this point the external keyboard does not work. I can log in using the laptop keyboard.

Then, if I try starting X, I get a load of messages that makes no sense to me.

Among what I see on the screen is:

Code:
    Please enable agpgart
    Failed to initialize kernel memory manager.
    AGP GART support is either not available cannot be used. Make sure your kernel has agpgart support or has the agpgart module loaded.
    Couldn't allocate video memory.
    Fatal server error:
    AddScreen/ScreebInit failed for driver 0

ddxSigGiveup: Closing log
    giving up.
    xinit: No such file or directory (errno 2): unable to connect to X server
    xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
    Ther may be something before this, it just happes to fast to fill the screen.

I'm lost as to what to do here.

Re: No X

For the keyboard problem, try unplugging the keyboard from the USB port and plugging it back in.

Sorry but the rest is beyond me
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

So kdm appears on the external monitor but the external keyboard doesn't work?

Try restarting hal by changing to the cli (press CTRL+Alt+F3), logging yourself in and typing

Code:
      sudo /etc/init.d/hal restart
      Hopefully you won't get any error messages. To change back to kdm - hopefully with the external keyboard - press CTRL+Alt+F7

Note:
      I haven't googled your error messages, but you may want to try
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by toad
        Try restarting hal by changing to the cli (press CTRL+Shift+F3), logging yourself in and typing
        Unless this is something new on Karmic, I'm guessing you mean Ctrl+Alt+F3?
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ooops! Geriatric moment of mine, will edit. Thanks, Telengard.

Also:

Perhaps it would be a good idea to start kdm again before going back to X:

Code:
          sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
          Might have to do that once or twice before typing CTR-Alt+F7
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

So kdm appears on the external monitor but the external keyboard doesn't work?

No, I can't get beyond the command line prompt.

If I choose one of the old kernels, the external keyboard/mouse does work, but no graphic interface, just command line. That should be no kdm, right?

If I choose the karmic koala one, the latest, no exsternal keyboard/mouse, but I can use the external screen.

Is the graphicial interface still first X and then kdm - kde?

Comment

Hm. Did you restart hal and kdm or did you experience problems along the line?

If you did, what exactly worked and what didn't work?

Could you - directly after X failing, run the following command:

Code:
              cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
              Please post the contents. It is going to be a long file, so use the forum code tags. Proviso - I think this is the right file but not running 10/10 I cannot guarantee it 100%.

Comment

Code:
                cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
                That will probably exceed Konsole's scroll-back buffer by a lot. If you really need to see the entire log, why not simply attach the file to the post?
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Together we are unbeatable

Comment

Together we are unbeatable
                    Glad you see it that way
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thakns for all the input - when I Googled some of the messages, I found that a lot of things could be the cause. Display settings most probable.

Then I found that while I could log into older kernels, there was some problem with the file system.

So, I decided that a full install from CD was the fastest and safest way.

So, now I have an almost ok Kubuntu installation. Just some screen resolution issues, that I will explore a little, and post a question under the proper section if it is beyond my reach.

Short version - bad upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA
                        Short version - bad upgrade.
                        Some have good luck with upgrades to new versions, some don't. I'm one who has had bad luck with upgrades to new versions. When I want the newest release of Kubuntu I backup my data, wipe out the old partition, and install from scratch.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                        X