This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic Koala 9.10, i beleive that's what it's called

i dont know if there something like this already in this forum, sorry, if i doubled it up, if there is one please do direct me, i did the search, but maybe i just didn't search well....

so here's the thing, i requested the cd's i have right now, 1 ubuntu 9.10 and kubuntu 9.10, i dont know if its the same, so i had no problem with installing the ubuntu one with windows, the problem is with the kubuntu.

i tried using the cd to run the demo version first, i also tried it boot loaded with windows, both doesn't work for me...

well, here's what happened on my case....

1. i don't know if this should really have these icons that seems to be loading, but that all i have after the black screen that seems to inform me that it will complete the installation

2. the first time it seemed to work for me, the start up screen appeared (or what ever it is that seems to be the login screen for me) and when i try to log-in, it just accepts "ubuntu" but it just goes back to the page where it has the icons, but when i tried to click on one of the icons, the screen disappeared and then after a few seconds it came back. since i was thinking i made a mistake by clicking the mouse, i just waited. so the icons all appeared then it disappeared and the screen turned black, i thought something else will appear but it just went back to the icons that seems to be loading...

3. tried it again, restarted the computer , but still, i just got the icons that seems to be loading and the screen that turns black when all the icons seemed to have appeared already and then shows up again with the same thing.

I think, it's just going in circles...

I DO NOT KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING, HELP??

`thankS......

~RAMENGIRL26

Re: Karmic Koala 9.10, i beleive that's what it's called

Hi,

Things are definitely not supposed to be that way. But I am a bit confused as to what's really happening, and typically, these things are hard to fix when they happen.

Something you may want to conside is: if you already have Ubuntu running, you can install the "kubuntu-desktop" package, which will bring a kubuntu installation side by side. Then, from the login window, you can choose KDE as a session type, and you will be in Kubuntu.

This has some drawbacks, the major one being the fact that you'll have too much duplicate software (two email clients, etc). But you can clean these things up gradually whenever you have some spare time. We can help you with that. Just ask

Hope this helps!

Comment

You can help us (and yourself) by telling what sort of computer you have.
      Make and type are helpful as well as the type of processor, video card and how much memory.

Ubuntu is a Linux with the gnome desktop, Kubuntu is a Linux with the KDE desktop, see www.kubuntu.org and www.kde.org.
      When Kubuntu starts up it displays a square with 4(?) icons that appear from the left to the right one after the other.
      Once this is done you should be presented with the KDE desktop.

Comment

when you have loged in you screen is black ?

if so try to run (alt+f2 brings up runbox)
        Code:
        plasma-desktop
        if that works then next run 'konsole'

and try sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade in that konsole

that should fetch your updates and get the system up to date (hopefully fixing your plasma issue in the process)
        naturally you will need to be online in order to update..

Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

manufacturer: ECS
          System Model: L7VMMM3
          Processor: AMD Sempron 2200+, MMX, 3Now, ~1.5GHz
          BIOS: ver 07.00T
          Memory : 224MB Ram

my actual memory card size is 256mb but since i only have an onboard video card, i have it shared so 32mb for video

@Teunis
          sorry, i did not include it... hope this helps...
          just tell me if you need something else

@sithlord48
          nope, my screen is not black, it just turns to black from the blue screen with the icons at the center after it looked like it finished loading up the icons after a few seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis

When Kubuntu starts up it displays a square with 4(?) icons that appear from the left to the right one after the other.
            Once this is done you should be presented with the KDE desktop.
            i do see those icons, and after it seemed to finish loading, the screen turn black and after a few seconds, the screen comes up again, loads the icons, and turn black again, it just goes in circle

Comment

Is that really about 256 Mb ram or is it a typo? If not you are below the minimum requirements (which are 256Mb but you are using part of it for the onboard video)

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/910

I would try to get a 1Gb stick, and allocate 256Mb to the onboard video and try again, if at all possible. Otherwise, I would try a lighter version of ubuntu, such as xubuntu, or even lighter as Lubuntu, or perhaps crunchbang.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                Is that really about 256 Mb ram or is it a typo? If not you are below the minimum requirements (which are 256Mb but you are using part of it for the onboard video)
                well, i know the min requirements, would it still not work even just for the demo? i know my specs is not yet enough, so i just plan to see first how it looks and how it feels before i go ahead and upgrade...

Comment

I would think even the demo could have troubles loading, yes.

Comment

Hm, I reckon you want to have a look at crunchbang linux
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

yes you need to have at least 256mb of ram for the os.
                      your issue could be cause by your lack of ram. you may be able to give less ram to the onboard video and see if that helps you log in.
                      but you really should either get more ram or try a lighter version as lmilano suggests.also if memory server correctly your issue can also be caused by a lack of disk space as well.. the first log in will need to create files.. and every log in requires there be some free space...
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Good point, you should check disk size and available space. The live CD doesn't use the

In the end, you have a capable system that is seriously limited by the RAM. Or let me say it in other words: for very little money (at least where I live), you would make your machine quite usable, no matter what OS you install (as long as it's not a recent Windows).

BTW, do you know what integrated graphics you have?

Cheers!

Comment

well, my video card is on-board, i know i use a vga chipset... does that make sense...

the problem here that i have now is, if i do try and use other distros, it would be hard for me to to dload the .iso, coz my speed just reach up to .28mbps and that's the max already...

an old computer, a slow connection, nice combination right?

Comment

You might want to take a look at this:

http://www.slax.org/

KDE, small ISO, very light on the system.

Comment

If you have a download manager who cares about the speed ?

But to expand, crunchbang linux is based on ubuntu (assuming you are already familiar with debian based distros) and uses openbox as a wm, i.e. ideal for computers with little RAM.

More useless info: Ubuntu (and most Debian based distros for that matter) are bloated by default in that all kinds of daemons and modules are loaded at startup, most of which are not even needed. However, in order to maximise your bling to RAM ratio you need a little of dedication/experience/whatever... Not knowing your level of proficiency I will stick to crunchbang - it really is quite a decent attempt at creating a low resource capable distro on ubuntu which is easy enough to use.

If you are a deft hand at all things linux I would of course recommend archlinux - great wiki, total control and maximum bling to RAM ratio
                              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                              X