This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic hangs after login

Been using Gnome for a while and have never had a problem I couldn't fix. Loaded Karmic yesturday, did updates today, got the broadcom wireless working. Now when I boot I get to the login screen and login, I see the splash screen and then that's it. It hangs there and won't do anything else except that I can Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose any of those options I wish and after about 3 minutes it'll do what I asked it but won't get past that point. Any ideas? Don't know what other info could be needed.

Dell Studio 1555
    Dual boot with Windows 7(flawless install with Kubuntu)
    Broadcom wireless mini card (Dell branded)
    Intel Core 2 Duo
    64 bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Karmic hangs after login

Good grief, I fixed it myself. Getting a little pissed that no one will offer any assistance on either this or Ubuntu forums. What am I doing to keep folks from offering any help?

Comment

Maybe no one on the forum has a Dell 1555.

If it hangs on the greeter, that's a sure indication of a video problem of some sort. I assume an Intel GPU, but you're going to have to show it to get any help here.

Comment

And, most members on KFN don't post unless they have something to contribute to the issue - they don't tend to post saying "Sorry, but I can't help you on that." or some such.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by mcalhoun
          Good grief, I fixed it myself. Getting a little pissed that no one will offer any assistance on either this or Ubuntu forums. What am I doing to keep folks from offering any help?
          you could perhaps tell how you solved this for some one elce with the same hardware and problem?

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I appreciate the responses. Was beginning to think I had something attached to my profile that offended everyone. I'm not really pissed honestly was trying to invoke some response.

I wish I knew what I did other than booted into safe mode with networking and did an apt-get update, then went back to Windoze 7 and allow it to do a file system check to get in. When KDE was rebooted it came up fully. I'm guessing that it needed some file or something that it pulled through apt.

I didn't think it was that important for another user to have the same pc to know what to do to fix an issue that seemed simple to me but still eluded me.

I now have an issue with the Dell wireless mini card (Broadcom). I can't get it and Bluetooth working at the moment. I loath trying to get a Linux OS to working totally with a pc but I quickly get over it when it does get going. I just can't get my head wrapped totally around the terminal or the kernel. LOL

Comment

Working...
            X