This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install 9.10 on OLD Compaq?

Is there any way i can install 9.10 on a Compaq Deskpro (Pentium III 256mb Ram 4gb Hard drive)? When i try it gives me a error message and then leaves me in a command prompt.
    Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Re: Install 9.10 on OLD Compaq?

the ram probably isn't enough for the livecd. You can try using the alternate (text-based) install disk. KDE will be a touch slow with that combo, but it should be at least somewhat usable. But the 4gb drive is probably too small. My relatively fresh install with only a few extras added currently takes up over 4gb for system files alone, not counting personal files and settings

Also, more info on the error message might be helpful, as it could possibly be a bad sio or bad burn. But I think the small drive might be the main issue here, with the ram running a close second

Comment

Agreed. You 'might' be able to install the OS 'initially,' if you used the whole HD (no separate /home partition), but you would run out of disk space almost immediately. A 4G HD is just to small.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You might have more joy with crunchbang linux - also built on ubuntu but with openbox. Very nice and fast and even compositing works (I've got an old compaq as well and just installed it on the off chance - what can I say, it is still there...).
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hey right now it runs Debian 5.0 with no problem... but i'll give the crunch bang a try. Also where can i find a text based installer?
          Acer Aspire 5810TZ - Debian Sid (KDE 4.5.3)/Mac OS X 10.6.3<br />*Intel Pentium SU2700 @ 1.3GHz, 3 gig DDR3 RAM, Intel GMA x4500*<br /><br />Custom Desktop - Kubuntu 10.10 (KDE 4.6.1)<br />*2x Dual-Core Intel Xeon @3.2GHz, 3 gig RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT*<br /><br />iPod Touch 4th Gen - iOS 4.1 (Greenpois0n Jailbreak)<br />*

Comment

alternate install cd
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

as toad sead you want the alternate install cd ............check the box hear befor you DL

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by 14tjoyce
                Is there any way i can install 9.10 on a Compaq Deskpro (Pentium III 256mb Ram 4gb Hard drive)? When i try it gives me a error message and then leaves me in a command prompt.
                Our machines have similar specs (see my sig, below), but in few moments of lucidity and foresight I updated my RAM to the max (for this machine) of 512MB and bought 60GB drive from Ebay sometime ago. Stuff just gets bigger, even in the Linux universe.

I love Karmic, and Kubuntu
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Working...
                X