This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mounting Partition Inside /home?

One member was asking long time ago on how to mount a partition inside the home directory.
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107671.0

Suppose you have two drives, one having three partitions, "/", "/home" & "swap". The other drive has two other partitions.

If I want to mount one of those partitions as my "Video" folder in "/home", I should mount that partition during installation for example as "/home/username/Video".

After successfully being able to mount it, I discovered that I need root privileges to be able to write to it.
    Tried to play with the "fstab" with no avail. Any ideas how to mount it under "/home" & be able to write to it as if it was any other folder inside "/home" ?

Re: Mounting Partition Inside /home?

If you mounted it successfully all you need to do is grant permissions to write to it - here's a pretty good readme on fstab -

http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/fstab.html

Hope this helps -
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Comment

You could do it by taking possession of the directory with chown.

Comment

Originally posted by ichaos
        You could do it by taking possession of the directory with chown.
        That's what I did when I was mounting partitions in the home drive.

After a while, I ended up just making symlinks to the partition inside the home directory instead.

mm0
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

For linux native (POSIX) filesystems (ext, xfs, jfs,...) use chown to change ownerships (or chmod to change permissions)...for non-native filesystems (fat, ntfs) you have to define ownerships/permissions when mounting (via /etc/fstab)

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0

I ended up just making symlinks to the partition inside the home directory instead.
            That's what I do, too. It seems best to let the drives and partitions be owned by root. Make a directory (folder) on the partition, chown it to the user, and symlink it into the user's /home/user folder. That keeps the chaos to a minimum.

Comment

Working...
            X