This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on SATA disks?

There have been reports in the past about difficulties installing Kubuntu on SATA disks. I need to replace my disk and am not sure what to do.

I have a primary SATA disk and a secondary IDE one. I have Windows on the primary, SATA disk and Kubuntu on the secondary, IDE disk. At Kubuntu installation, it refused to write the Grub data to the primary disk, so I am obliged to go thru F12 to designate the Linux disk when I boot.

My question is: Can one install Windows and Linux on a dual-SATA disk system without unusual difficulties? In particular, will it write Grub to the 1st disk?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Re: Kubuntu on SATA disks?

Can't see why this should be a problem - my system is all SATA and runs flawlessly. Mind you I'm not dual booting (I run Windows using VirtualBox) but again I can't see why dual booting should be any issue on SATA.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Great! Thanks for your fast reply.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Absolutely no problems at all using SATA in any way or sense, one or more drives, multi-boot Linux OSs. Sometimes when you have a mixture of SATA and IDE drives on the same machine ... sometimes the Linux installer may get confused about what the drives are called (the naming: sdx's). But that's easily solved, too, and it almost always involves placing GRUB correctly (always solvable, no problems). (In GRUB Legacy 0.97: the geometry command always tells the true story about your drives. In GRUB 2: the ls command tells the story; along with it's fancy os-prober utility.)

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for your encouraging replies, both.

Quarkslot, would you recommend Virtualbox for running Windows? I've tried VMware, but I find the result kind of sluggish. Maybe my hardware. I use it for running games. Myst 2 Exile works fine, but Myst 3 Uru does not.

Thanks again. I'll go ahead and replace my disks. (One has problems, the other is too small.)

Comment

My Kubuntu has been on SATA disks since 6.10.

I don't think the problem has ever been the disk, but I think sometimes the BIOS and/or the presence of PATA drives on the same system has been a cause of trouble. I depends on your motherboard and BIOS -- you might need to change the SATA mode to "legacy IDE", rather than "AHCI", to install Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by joneall
              Thanks for your encouraging replies, both.

Quarkslot, would you recommend Virtualbox for running Windows? I've tried VMware, but I find the result kind of sluggish. Maybe my hardware. I use it for running games. Myst 2 Exile works fine, but Myst 3 Uru does not.

Thanks again. I'll go ahead and replace my disks. (One has problems, the other is too small.)
              Windows performance on Virtualbox is very good and it does support 3D acceleration through Guest Additions however from what I understand I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for games (I've not tried myself). Best thing is to have a go!
              Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
              X