Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 fails to reboot after upgrade.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 fails to reboot after upgrade.

Searching forums failed to find a solution.

init: ureadahead main process (2146) terminated with status 5
    mountall start/spawned, process 2147
    mountall:/proc: unable to mount: Device or resource busy
    mountall:/proc/self/mount info: No such file or directory
    mountall: root filesystem isn't mounted
    init: mountall main process (2147) terminated with status 1
    General error mounting filesystems
    A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try

root@steve723-ASUS-Eee-PC-netbook:`#

Can any one help please?

Re: Upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 fails to reboot after upgrade.

Originally posted by steve723
    CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try[/i]
    Did you try the Ctrl+D to terminate the shell and 'retry' the boot process?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

yes. I get exactly the same message.

I have been doing some research. I am thinking this is probaly a policy problem with HAL or something.
      Unfortunately the xserver won't start. I suspect it's related to the mounting problem since it can't make the temp/lock.

Does anyone know how to run dolphin without the xserver part?

Comment

Hay steve723

nice to see you'r name agin

so how did the upgrade go besides not being abel to get back in now............did it seam to go well ......were thare eney errors ?

just how did you upgrade ....net ... reinstall....?

when you get droped to a matenence shell try
        Code:
        dpkg-reconfigure -a
        may or maynot nead sudo ....I think the mantenince shell is root.

if as in you'r PM you think it's a UUID prob fire up the livecd and use
        Code:
        sudo blkid
        to see the UUID's of the drives and compare to /etc/fstab

and /boot/grub/grub.cfg if runing grub2 or the /boot/grub/menu.lst were used to

and I dought you have net at the matenence shell but if you do (run apt-get update and see if it get's hits or just ignore's) you could try
        Code:
        sudo apt-get -f install
        and
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        you cant run dolphin withought X but thars vi or vim as it is now.

and of corse you can use the cd to examin and edit your files.

as you can see I still cant spell...........LOL........and it's nice to see a familear name from my linux past.....

O and welcome to the Kubuntu forums and hope to see ya around

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hello vinney. I tried some of what you said.

First as I said above it It gives up during the boot and goes to a root maintenance shell. I am starting to think it maybe several configuration settings file. I already fixed grub menu list and now It still won't mount correctly during boot but know I can get most of the mount points to work right with mount -a. /home and /boot still don't mount. They did at boot but as read only. Obviously kubuntu's upgrade auto config for upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10, is badly broken for certain models of computers. I am using a model 901 ASUS Eee PC. That's a netbook.

dpkg-reconfigure -a

DbDriver "config": could not open /var/cach/dbconf/config.dat

I don't have a live cd for 9.10, I used the upgrade technic.

I'll post more after I eat. I also want to try something I just thought of that might make reconfigure work.

I am current downloading Karmic netbook version. I am hoping that will install correctly on my ASUS Eee PC 901.

Comment

I am trying to install the netbook version now. When I completed setting up the partions it said my /home needed fsck run on it. How can I get to a terminal to run it?

It's running the installed version now. The wireless is broken! How do I run Firefox? I got it installed, but I can't get it to run! This new KDE version needs work before the final version.

Comment

yes the kubuntu netbook is a bit bugey yet........or was the last time I tryed it!

the UNR (ubuntu netbook remix) is a bit better ...........but I think it's prity mutch just ubuntu with a launcher shell on top of it.

the last time I played with it I installed the UNR it worked ok but the launcer shell was a little lagey(slow) so I disabeld it (thars a option in system menu some ware to do this ) then it was just ubuntu ......I then added the kubuntu-desktop package and loged out and then in to KDE

apon loging in to KDE I was pesented with the UNR launcher shell BUT with the KDE apps and Icons .......pressing ctrl esc (Ithink that still worked ) eney way I pulled up the prosestable and saw at the top the launchr runing away......killing it got me the KDE desktop back.

of corse I killed that after a wile and just reinstalled strate kubuntu 9.10

this was the test subject and the post was after all the ubuve and installing 9.10
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3109283.0

did you ever get FSCK run on the drives ? I would do that from a live cd befor I whent to far.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

[quote=vinnywright

did you ever get FSCK run on the drives ? I would do that from a live cd befor I whent to far.

VINNY
                [/quote]

After I finished installing, I rebooted and while booting kubuntu saw that fsck needed to be run so it automatically ran FSCK and then rebooted. The network manager is broken for wireless, but the wired part works. It won't record my gateway's password, so it can't establish a secure connection to the router part of my AT&T gateway.

Comment

ya the networkmanager has some trouble using encripted networks for some pepole.

a lot of pepole say WICD works better (it's in the repos but you will nead a wierd conection as you must remove the curent network manager) and after instaling go to K>systemsetings>advanced>hardware and move it to the top of the list in network managment backend.

you may want to look over this as you may not have a wierd conection after removing the curent network manager

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

I just applied some bug fixes from ubutu and now the wireless works! I think this is the best distro I have used of all my linux history. I think the ubuntu and Kubuntu developers must read these forums, so they know what the community wants fixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X