This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Karmic amd64 for intel core 2 duo P8700 not working

I tried to install kubuntu for amd64 on a samsung p560 park laptop with 4 GB ram. Processor specs are
    cat /proc/cpuinfo
    Code:
    processor    : 0      
    vendor_id    : GenuineIntel 
    cpu family   : 6      
    model      : 23      
    model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU   P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    stepping    : 10                       
    cpu MHz     : 800.000                    
    cache size   : 3072 KB                    
    physical id   : 0                       
    siblings    : 2                       
    core id     : 0                       
    cpu cores    : 2                       
    apicid     : 0                       
    initial apicid : 0                       
    fdiv_bug    : no                       
    hlt_bug     : no                       
    f00f_bug    : no                       
    coma_bug    : no                       
    fpu       : yes                      
    fpu_exception  : yes                      
    cpuid level   : 13                       
    wp       : yes                      
    flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
     sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16
     xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority                                      
    bogomips    : 5053.84                                                
    clflush size  : 64                                                   
    power management:                                                    

processor    : 1
    vendor_id    : GenuineIntel
    cpu family   : 6      
    model      : 23     
    model name   : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU   P8700 @ 2.53GHz
    stepping    : 10                       
    cpu MHz     : 800.000                    
    cache size   : 3072 KB
    physical id   : 0
    siblings    : 2
    core id     : 1
    cpu cores    : 2
    apicid     : 1
    initial apicid : 1
    fdiv_bug    : no
    hlt_bug     : no
    f00f_bug    : no
    coma_bug    : no
    fpu       : yes
    fpu_exception  : yes
    cpuid level   : 13
    wp       : yes
    flags      : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse
     sse2 ss ht tm pbe lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 
    xtpr pdcm sse4_1 xsave lahf_lm ida tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority
    bogomips    : 5053.95
    clflush size  : 64
    power management:
    The live cd kept rebooting. I managed to install kubuntu from the alternative cd but never managed to read any
    outputs to /var/log/messages because there were none. Also other distros failed to install the amd64 version.

Does anybody know why?

I just installed karmic i386. The pae enabled kernel detects all 4GB ram. Are there any disadvantages using the i386 version compared with the amd64 version of kubuntu?

Re: Karmic amd64 for intel core 2 duo P8700 not working

The AMD64 .iso is for 64-bit CPUs. According to the output of /proc/cpuinfo you do not have a 64-bit processor. That would explain why the LiveCD kept rebooting and would not install. The correct .iso is the i386. The Alternate (i386 as well) with the PAE support, which you got to work, is the correct .iso. The PAE gives you access to the 4GB of RAM.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply.
      I just thought all intel core 2 processors are 64 bit.

Comment

You're welcome. Just because a processor has two cores does not make it a 64-bit processor.

Comment

That is probably right but intel claims this processor is a 64bit chip acording to

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37006

Comment

The CPU is 64-bit. However, it is possible that the BIOS and/or motherboard design do not support full 64-bit addressing.

Comment

Hmm. Your CPU is reported (by Intel) as: Instruction Set 64-bit and mine as: Instruction Set 32-bit (and I know mine is a 32-bit CPU). Your /proc/cpuinfo and mine are nearly identical, so much so, that I believed that your CPU was in fact not 64-bit. The behavior you described trying to boot the AMD64 LiveCD tended to support that belief, and so, my comment.

You also said "Also other distros failed to install the amd64 version." Did you verify that the downloaded .iso file was good - md5 check? Was the burn of the LiveCD good - again, md5 checked out? If either, or both, failed the md5 check, then you just had a bad download/burn and that would account for the trouble you experienced.

Comment

Hey Snowhog, it looks like that in about another 5.7 online days Dibl will be passing 10,000 posts! Looks like we need to hold a posting party!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

(Shhssss. Don't say anything - wouldn't want dibl to find out - but the post count is only four-digits, so when he hits 10,000, the count will show 1.)

Well, I don't know that to be true, but wouldn't it be a shock if it was/does?!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    (Shhssss. Don't say anything - wouldn't want dibl to find out - but the post count is only four-digits, so when he hits 10,000, the count will show 1.)
                    Snowhog, that is just cruel, cruel, cruel!

Well, probably it's good that the counter does not distinguish between useful posts, and all those other ones, huh?

Comment

I doubt that your count would drop much if useless posts were deducted! 8)
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

To add some more info:

lspci gives:
                        Code:
                        00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
                        00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
                        00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
                        00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
                        00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
                        00:1a.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
                        00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
                        00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
                        00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
                        00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
                        00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
                        00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
                        00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
                        00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
                        00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
                        00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
                        00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
                        00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
                        01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9600M GS] (rev a1)
                        02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
                        06:09.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev ba)
                        06:09.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 21)
                        06:09.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev ff)
                        I searched, I did not find the above listed components would make the installation of a amd64 version impossible. I also installed a new BIOS version (10 LU). Again without success.

Comment

I've seen this kind of post once in a great while -- I think that hardware platform is probably not able to run a 64-bit OS. The CPU is able to support 64-bit, of course, as per the Intel specs. The only specs on a Samsung P560 Park that I could find indicate that it should support a 64-bit OS, but I noticed that there are multiple versions (the one I found had a P8600).

If you are into mysteries, you can install a package called "hardinfo" and run it to get a lot of hardware information out of your system. There's another one called "hwinfo" if I'm remembering correctly. Then you can use the output to research the bits and pieces -- I would start with the chipset. For example when you google the Intel Mobile 4 Series Chipset, you start turning up technical information like this:

http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/datasheet/320122.pdf

If you read it, you will find there are some versions that clearly do support 64-bit operation, and other versions that are very, very, quiet on that topic, leading me to suspect they don't support 64-bit.

On the other hand, if you just want a functioning Linux system ASAP, I would advise you to go ahead and install the 32-bit with a PAE-enabled kernel and get on with life. You will not suffer anything on performance, unless you were planning on using your laptop to encode DVDs.

Comment

Your lspci listing looked familiar, so I re-examined mine:
                            jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$ lspci
                            00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
                            00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
                            00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
                            00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
                            00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
                            00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
                            00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
                            00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
                            00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
                            00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 4 (rev 03)
                            00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 5 (rev 03)
                            00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
                            00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
                            00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
                            00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
                            00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
                            00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
                            00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
                            00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
                            00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
                            05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
                            07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8055 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 13)
                            09:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller (rev 05)
                            09:03.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 22)
                            09:03.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 12)
                            jerry@Sonyvgnfw140e:~$
                            which is on a Sony VAIO FGN-140E/H running an amd64 KK 9.10, which runs very well, I should add.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                              You also said "Also other distros failed to install the amd64 version." Did you verify that the downloaded .iso file was good - md5 check? Was the burn of the LiveCD good - again, md5 checked out? If either, or both, failed the md5 check, then you just had a bad download/burn and that would account for the trouble you experienced.
                              Yes I did check the md5 of the downloaded .iso and the data on the burned cds were also verified. I the meanwhile I tried the amd64 versions of (k)ubuntu, gentoo, debian testing, fedora 12 and opensuse 11.2. None of them worked. While loading the kernel (or modules) the system reboots.

I checked the chipset. It is an Intel PM45 Express chipset. That is a 64bit hardware according to Intel (Thanks dibl for the document).

I would like to get an amd64 linux running on the notebook. I only occasionally encode dvds and have only little use of heavy numbers crunching. But as far as I found out it should be possible to run 64bit code on this machine. I will do further research and will definitely appreciate some more guidance.

Comment

Working...
                              X