This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install of 64 bit alternate fails

I'm trying to install Kubuntu 9.10 64 bit from the alternate CD, so I have the ability to not install a boot loader. I have verified the burned CD, it's fine. I'm trying to do a manual install to an existing 20G partition, and I do let the installer format the partition. I did choose a manual install and chose the correct partition: /dev/sda9. It gets formatted, the base code installs fine, but when the real software installs it fails with a message that just says it failed and I can continue or try it again. There's no error code, there's no real useful debugging information. I similarly tried the same process with an ubuntu alternate 64 bit CD and got identical results: installation fails in the same place with no useful debugging information. I've also downloaded LiveCD versions of Kubuntu and Ubuntu 9.10 64 bit and they both run fine for me. How can I get some debugging information (or better yet some help!) to figure out why the installation is failing?

Re: Install of 64 bit alternate fails

You did download the appropriate .iso for your processor type, yes?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just run into a similar problem. It would be interesting to see what processor you have. What is the output of
      Code:
      cat /proc/cpuinfo

Comment

Yes, I downloaded the correct iso. Even if I hadn't, the question is still how to get debugging information from the alternate install CD.

Here is all my /proc/cpuinfo:

processor : 0
        vendor_id : GenuineIntel
        cpu family : 6
        model : 15
        model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
        stepping : 13
        cpu MHz : 2194.707
        cache size : 2048 KB
        physical id : 0
        siblings : 2
        core id : 0
        cpu cores : 2
        apicid : 0
        initial apicid : 0
        fpu : yes
        fpu_exception : yes
        cpuid level : 10
        wp : yes
        flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
        bogomips : 4389.41
        clflush size : 64
        cache_alignment : 64
        address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
        power management:

processor : 1
        vendor_id : GenuineIntel
        cpu family : 6
        model : 15
        model name : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500 @ 2.20GHz
        stepping : 13
        cpu MHz : 2194.707
        cache size : 2048 KB
        physical id : 0
        siblings : 2
        core id : 1
        cpu cores : 2
        apicid : 1
        initial apicid : 1
        fpu : yes
        fpu_exception : yes
        cpuid level : 10
        wp : yes
        flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm
        bogomips : 4388.07
        clflush size : 64
        cache_alignment : 64
        address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
        power management:

Comment

According to this intel info it should be a 64bit processor:

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SLA95

I also have a 64bit cpu and can not run a 64bit linux distro (I tried several distros and all failed). It might be some other component failing the 64bit compatibility.

Have you tried a different distribution?

Comment

Slackware 13.0 64 bit is installed and runs fine. The Kubutu 9.10 64 bit LiveCD runs fine.

My question is still how to get debugging information from the alternate CD to determine why the install from the alternate CD fails.

Comment

I have the exact same cpu (overclocked a touch to 2.4ghz) and im' running 64 bit karmic with no problems. Must be some other hardware incompatibility issues.

Comment

at what point durring the install does it fail, some examples would be,

durring setup (i.e when running the installer but before pressing install)
                pre formating, post format , durring the copy process, durring install of boot loader. ?

if it fails durring install of boot loader you may want to check the advanced section (its right before install starts) and check to see that you are placing the bootloader in the proper partition on the correct hd.

also i really don't see the x86_64 flag. (maybe its an amd only thing?) but if the disk run its prolly a 64-bit processor (other wise you should be told wrong arch.)
                Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

As stated in the original post, the installation proceeds fine through base code installation. It then starts software installation. It gets about 1/2 way through and fails, but the message does not provide any details as to why it failed; the only options are to continue or retry.

Comment

Look at the files in /var/log/installer. Maybe you find something useful.

Comment

I'm not running the LiveCD: I am installing from the alternate CD. So I can't (or at least
                      I don't know how to) open an xterm window to look at any potential logfile. The alternate
                      CD only provides a way to install Kubuntu: it does not provide any way I know of to see
                      and debugging information. That's the point of this thread: how do you get debugging
                      information from the alternate CD when it fails?

Comment

Originally posted by xr200

the installation proceeds fine through base code installation. It then starts software installation. It gets about 1/2 way through and fails
                        This sounds like a "reading the CD" problem. Which could be any of a number of issues -- a bad ISO image (check the md5sum), a bad CD burn (ditto), a dodgy optical drive, etc. etc. You need to do some troubleshooting with that CD -- or just cut to the chase and burn another one. Burn it at the slowest setting available. Maybe try burning on a different drive than the one you first tried.

Comment

I have verified the CD. I have written a new CD at the slowest speed. I verified it.
                          I have 3 optical drives: a SCSI, a EIDE, and a SATA. The install fails in the same place
                          on all 3 drives.

The original question remains: how do you get debugging information when an
                          installation from the alternate CD fails?

Comment

The original question remains: how do you get debugging information when an
                            installation from the alternate CD fails?
                            That's a tough question, so it's easier to answer other questions .....

I have not personally done it, but even though it is a bit dated, it looks like you might find some guidance here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Installer/FAQ

There's a section on starting the installer with debugging enabled. Good luck -- let us know if you figure it out. Once in awhile it happens to someone else.

Comment

I'm not running the LiveCD: I am installing from the alternate CD. So I can't (or at least
                              I don't know how to) open an xterm window to look at any potential logfile. The alternate
                              CD only provides a way to install Kubuntu: it does not provide any way I know of to see
                              and debugging information. That's the point of this thread: how do you get debugging
                              information from the alternate CD when it fails?
                              After the installation stops, you can boot your pc with any livecd mount the root partition of your installation and check the logs.

Comment

Working...
                              X