This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LiveCD install and Grub2 placement

yep, agree to that, too: the symlinks to kernel & initrd will also do the trick.
    cd /
    ls -al
    shows you they are always there, pointing to latest kernel.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Success! The change in my JJ menu.lst to:
      root (hd0,1)
      after having run:
      sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda2
      did the trick. I opted for the Karmic menu item in the JJ Grub Menu and was taken to the Karmic Grub2 menu!

Thanks everyone.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That confirms you have a solid installation of GRUB 2 (in that partition).
        It's a basic principle of GRUB: it will always chainload itself (from GRUB 1 to GRUB 2 and vice versa; or from GRUB x to GRUB x).

The other methods above should also work (Vinny's GRUB 2-in-MBR and verndog's symlinks).

That bug I posted applies to multiple drives, so you should also be OK putting GRUB 2 in the MBR of your one and only drive and do as Vinny does (GRUB 2 all the way).

Good!
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

WWWWEEEEEeeeeeeeeee

new you'd get it Snowhog!!

and A HAPPY NEW YEAR to all my linux frends.........................

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Happy New Year, Vinny!

Comment

And what a great group of GEEKS we are still hacking away at the keybord at this time of night on new years.

8) 8)

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                That confirms you have a solid installation of GRUB 2 (in that partition).
                It's a basic principle of GRUB: it will always chainload itself (from GRUB 1 to GRUB 2 and vice versa; or from GRUB x to GRUB x).
                Thank you Mike, and all the others who chimed in. Really appreciated. Now, I need to 'learn myself' Grub 2 management. I want the Grub 2 menu to not show 'all' the kernels from my Kubuntu Jaunty and Ubuntu Jaunty installs. Instead, I want the Grub 2 menu to just have links to their Grub menu.lst files.

From Grub 2 Basics - Ubuntu Forums
                Building a Totally Customized Menu: Ok, admit you are a control freak and you want to see only what you build yourself - customized titles, no "memtest86+" and no extra kernels. Here is how you do it:
                Run sudo update-grub to get the current available kernels.
                Copy the desired "menuentry" listings from /boot/grub/grub.cfg to /etc/grub.d/40_custom The entry begins with the line starting with "menuentry" and ends with a line containing "}".
                Add any other "menuentry" items you wish to see on the boot menu.
                Edit the titles of the "menuentry" line if desired (between the quotation symbols). Do not change the lines following the "menuentry" line. Each entry should start with a "menuentry" line and end with a "}" on the last line.
                Remove the executable bit from /etc/grub.d/10_linux, /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ and /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
                Removing the executable bit from any file in /etc/grub.d will exclude the file from being included in grub updates.

Code:
                sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/10_linux /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober
                Run "sudo update-grub"
                The updated /boot/grub/grub.cfg file should now contain only sections for "00_header", "05_debian_theme" and "40_custom".
                The grub.cfg file will not be updated with the addition of a new kernel. To add a new kernel, make "10_linux" executable, run "sudo update-grub" to refresh the available kernels, and repeat these instructions.
                Need to find out if I can put the chainloader stanzas in the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file to accomplish this goal.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

my brain is fried right now; had a few beers/wines here
                  but, yes, you can build a 4x_custom boot script that incorporates the chainloader command. Dave shows about every config for grub.cfg you can think of.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                    I pointed out those system links meney moons ago with a diferent post on grub but got smacked down for it......
                    I'd be curious as to why?! What's the argument against?
                    And besides, there's nothing that can't be fixed or undone via a LiveCD.
                    Isn't that what part of linux is for...to experiment

I have, at looking at my clock, 1/2 hour to go for the New Year. I think I will go and sleep and wake up in the next decade,

Happy New Year 2010 to all ! KDE has been an interesting ride !
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                    X