This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I rename a partition?

I think this should be simple but having looked around the forum I can't see the exact problem. Basically after having had KDE4.4 not work too well I decided to re-install Karmic and freshen up KDE 4.3 on my primary hard drive sda. I made a silly error I have a Backup partition on a second drive sdb and when installing KK again made a mistake in typing in the mount point. So instead of typing /backup-data I typed /backup-date.
    So now my backup data appears in Dolphin (for example) under /backup-date which has mucked up all the file addresses.
    Is there an easy way to rename the .sdb1 partition to /backup-data without reloading everything? I tried renaming the partition with Partition Magic and changing the /sdb1 fstab entry but it still appeared incorrectly. Can someone indicate how to get the labels right? I hope so. Thanks in advance.

Re: How do I rename a partition?

If your referring to Label a partition use tune2fs like so:
    tune2fs -L BACKSUPS /dev/sdaX
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Re: How do I rename a partition?

Maybe you only need to edit the fstab entry that refers to backup-date and change it to backup-data? Make sure the backup-data directory exists, of course, and reboot.

Comment

Re: How do I rename a partition? (SOLVED)

Thanks "barbolani"; that did the trick! When I edited the fstab file earlier I forgot to create a new directory /backup-data for the partition so (when I rebooted) it mounted on the old directory, which, having made the correct fstab entries, I've now deleted.

Comment

Working...
        X