This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install [solved]

I have 9.10 running OK from my live CD (md5sum checked OK), but when I select "install" at the boot screen the program seems to progress for a few minutes but the screen then turns black with no further activity.

I then decided to run 9.10 from the CD and then choose the "Install Kubuntu 9.10" option from the System menu (IIRC). That seemed to work, and I chose "Manual" to preserve my 9.04 Home partition (about 55G in size). During the "Copying Files" process I got a warning that my /home wasn't big enough, though no recommended minimum was specified. When I chose to continue anyway, I got an error (55, I think it was), reporting that either the HD or the CD was faulty.

I reinstalled 9.04 on the same HD with no problems (I'm using it now). Surely 50G is large enough for /home, and 21G for / , aren't they, in 9.10?

I'm going to see if I saved the .iso, and (if I did) reburn a CD and try again. Any suggestions?
    -- Werdigo49
    Registered Linux User #291592
    Kubuntu Xenial Xerus (16.04)

Re: Can't install

Originally posted by werdigo49
    I have 9.10 running OK from my live CD (md5sum checked OK), but when I select "install" at the boot screen the program seems to progress for a few minutes but the screen then turns black with no further activity.
    I'm going to see if I saved the .iso, and (if I did) reburn a CD and try again. Any suggestions?
    Strange as I find 10.04 to work just the opposite. I get black screen as you get when I try the "Try before.." menu option, and "install.." option boots to livecd. I then have to click the install icon to ge the install to work.

I don't think you have to burn another cd, I think its something else. Did you use the "verity cd" option from the menu to see if it passes?
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
      Strange as I find 10.04 to work just the opposite. I get black screen as you get when I try the "Try before.." menu option, and "install.." option boots to livecd. I then have to click the install icon to ge the install to work.

I don't think you have to burn another cd, I think its something else. Did you use the "verity cd" option from the menu to see if it passes?
      Nope... thanks for the suggestion; I'll try that next!
      -- Werdigo49

Comment

The size of your partitions is ample.
        But only when there's enough free space...

I've run into this message during a 9.04 - 9.10 upgrade on a netbook with a 5GB \, probably to accommodate a bunch of temp files I had to increase the available free space to5GB before it would work.
        Afterwards I re shrunk the \ partition to the original 5GB.
        In case you were doing a format on the \ the 21GB should be way more than enough, I can't say much about your \home.

Comment

Thanks, Teunis... but this time she installed fine. I checked the CD for errors (none), then tried "Install Kubuntu" from the boot menu and again got the black-screen freeze. After rebooting, I ran from the live CD, chose "Install Kubuntu 9.10" from one of the menu options, and had NO warnings this time!

No idea what was different, but I'm now posting this from my new 9.10 installation. Now I'm off to install my favorite programs...
          -- Werdigo49

Comment

Working...
          X