This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't start kde with newer kernels

I've been a happy Linux user for I don't remember how many years and haven't yet run into a problem that research in various forums hasn't solved, but I can't seem to figure this one out so this is my first post.

Since I upgraded to Kubuntu 9.10, I have the login screen loop problem that I am seeing a lot of posts about. I'm able to run with kernel 2.6.28-15 but every time I get a new kernel, I can boot to the login screen, the KDE splash screen comes up and up to 4 icons appear, but then I loop back to the login screen and can't go any further. I've tried all the suggestions I could find on this topic (reinstalling the graphics driver, reinstalling KDE, etc.) all to no avail.

I considered doing a fresh install (I had upgraded from 9,04), burned the 64 bit iso (after md5check etc.). When I boot with the 64 bit Cd I end up with a list of udev errors at an intramfs prompt. Tried the 32 bit iso but I get a similar looping problem. It'll try to load the desktop, black screen, then try to load the desktop again. So I can't do a fresh install.

One thing I've noticed that's new with 9.10 when I boot with the 2.6..28-15 kernel, while the Kubuntu splash screen is up, I get a series of messages about waiting for /dev by uuid=, then there is always at least one fs check before it goes to the login. Don't know if this is related.

I have a via k8m800 Mb, 1.6 gig amd processor, using the on-board graphics card with the open chrome driver. Went with via as they are supposed to be open to working with the open source community.

I'm not sure what info I need to supply to get some help with this issue. Please let me know.

BTW you guys are great. Have always found your suggestions helpful. Thanks

Re: Can't start kde with newer kernels

Something is definitely crashing KDE, but I'm not sure what -- sometimes, an old configuration in KDE's config files can cause those kinds of issues. One of my friends had a similar issue, and I'm trying to remember how we resolved it.

See if you have a log file named $HOME/.xsession-errors, and if you do, see if it contains any errors regarding kdeinit4.
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

Thanks for the reply integr8e.

Here are the relevant bits to the xsession file:

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kconf_update.so
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'idle-hint' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'is-local' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'x11-display' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'display-device' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'remote-host-name' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'session-type' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      Invalid D-BUS member name 'unix-user' found in interface 'org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Session' while parsing introspection
      X Error: XSyncBadAlarm 152
      Extension: 143 (Uknown extension)
      Minor opcode: 11 (Unknown request)
      Resource id: 0x0
      X Error: XSyncBadAlarm 152
      Extension: 143 (Uknown extension)
      Minor opcode: 11 (Unknown request)
      Resource id: 0x0
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/knotify4
      QDBusObjectPath: invalid path ""
      QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QWidget "", which already has a layout
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/Timspwd.pwm.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/tim.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/user-dirs.dirs.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/notes.ics.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/karm.ics.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/contactlist.xml.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/std.ics.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/stdrc.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/1251564327.6401.5NWvt:2,S.desktop not found
      findServiceByDesktopPath: /home/tim/.kde/share/apps/RecentDocuments/1251576021.6401.7YYr9:2,S.desktop not found
      Object::connect: No such signal SystemTray::Manager::jobStateChanged(SystemTray::J ob*)
      Invalid D-BUS interface name 'org.kde.plasma-desktop.PlasmaApp' found while parsing introspection
      deinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kaccess.so
      <unknown program name>(2440)/ kdemain: Xlib XKB extension major= 1 minor= 0
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_nepomukserver.so
      Nepomuk server already running.
      findServiceByDesktopPath: not found
      (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2466): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: cannot register existing type `_PolkitError'

(polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:2466): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_once_init_leave: assertion `initialization_value != 0' failed
      Unable to connect to bluez.
      QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to InterfaceConnectionItem "", which already has a layout
      Calling appendChild() on a null node does nothing.
      DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
      DCOPClient::attachInternal. Attach failed Could not open network socket
      kbuildsycoca running...
      X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
      Major opcode: 20
      Minor opcode: 0
      Resource id: 0x360001c
      Resource id: 0x360025b
      Resource id: 0x3600216
      QLayout "unnamed" added to QWidget "unnamed", which already has a layout
      Resource id: 0x3600451
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_pop3.so
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/firefox
      *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() invoke: No child processes

(npviewer.bin:3114): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/engines/libqtcurve.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
      *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** ERROR: NPP_Destroy() invoke: No child processes
      *** NSPlugin Wrapper *** WARNING/build/buildd/nspluginwrapper-1.2.2/src/npw-wrapper.c:1854):invoke_NPP_Destroy: assertion failed: (rpc_method_invoke_possible(plugin->connection))
      QClipboard::setData: Cannot set X11 selection owner for PRIMARY
      Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
      X Error: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied) 10
      Major opcode: 2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
      Resource id: 0x120001e
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/firefox

(firefox:3241): GLib-WARNING **: g_set_prgname() called multiple times
      LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/tim/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so [/home/tim/.mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_smb.so
      "/usr/bin/dolphin(3302)" Error in thread 140639249409872 : "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
      "/usr/bin/dolphin(3302)" Error in thread 140639249409872 : "Unsupported operation (2)": "Invalid model"
      "/usr/bin/dolphin(3302)" Error in thread 140639249409872 : "Invalid iterator."
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_smb.so
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_file.so

###Many repeats of the above###

###Then pages of messages nearly identical to the above###

kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/kio_thumbnail.so
      kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_kate.so

The whole file was some 2.6 Mb. Most of it was repeating dolphin errors and alsa errors, but I don't have alsa installed. ... is where I took out lines that called out things that loaded successfully. Hope you can help me decipher this.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the help

Comment

Originally posted by Maldon
        Merry Christmas and thanks for the help
        Thanks, and you too!

I don't see anything that appears to be a crash, try starting the X-server from the command line and see if that produces anything useful:
        Code:
        $ sudo -s
        Password:
        # /etc/init.d/kdm stop
        # exit
        $ startx
        EDIT: 12/24/2009
        ... if that doesn't work, this may:
        Code:
        startkde 1> kdee.txt 2> kder.txt
        (source: http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewto...pid=7141#p7141)

That will log the standard output to kdee.txt and the error to kder.txt.
        Asus G1S-X3:
        Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

I think maybe no errors as I booted up using 2.6.28-15.
          I'm going to restart with my newer kernel and try your suggestions if I can get to the command line.
          Might take a bit.

Comment

Interesting.

Booted with the 2.6.31-16 kernel. Went to console:
            startx brought up the kde splash which lit up 2 icons, partially lit 2 more, then froze solid.

Rebooted the same kernel. startkde 1>(etc.) didn't seem to do any thing but I got the following in kdee.txt

$DISPLAY is not set or cannot connect to the X server.
            Nothing in kder.txt

Copied the new xsessions file so i could find it when I rebooted with a working kernel. After much of the same messages as above, I noticed the following at the end of the file:

kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
            kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
            kglobalaccel: Fatal IO error: client killed
            Qt-subapplication: Fatal IO error: client killed
            kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
            kdeinit4: Exit.
            kwin: Fatal IO error: client killed
            Hangup
            GOT SIGHUP
            klauncher: Exiting on signal 15
            klauncher: Exiting on signal 1
            kdeinit4: Fatal IO error: client killed
            kdeinit4: sending SIGHUP to children.
            kded4: Fatal IO error: client killed
            Could not connect to D-Bus server: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoServer: Failed to connect to socket /tmp/dbus-UuUavfatiY: Connection refused
            startkde: Shutting down...
            kdeinit4_wrapper: Warning: connect(/home/tim/.kde/socket-Opus/kdeinit4__0) failed: : No such file or directory
            Error: Can not contact kdeinit4!
            startkde: Running shutdown scripts...
            xprop: unable to open display ':0'
            xprop: unable to open display ':0'
            startkde: Done.
            kdeinit4: sending SIGTERM to children.
            kdeinit4: Exit.
            Does any of that help?

Comment

Have to log off till after the eggnog.
              will check back on Sat.
              Thanks

Comment

Sounds good -- I'm patient

Anyway, I found several possible fixes in the following links:
                1. http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newb...70258&forum=12
                2. http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-q.../msg29528.html
                3. http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=79504

They range from upgrading KDE, to adding "NoAccel" "true" to your /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file, to renaming your $HOME/.kde file, to (referencing a link I didn't add) saying essentially, "tough luck, it's your video driver -- use another." I've had success in the past by simply renaming my $HOME/.kde file.

First, make sure you're running the latest version of KDE (4.3.4), and if you are and cannot log in, try renaming your $HOME/.kde file to something like $HOME/.kde.bak and log back in -- KDE will create a new file with the default settings and attempt to use it. If that fails, add Option "NoAccel" "true" to your /etc/X11/Xorg.conf file under the "Device" section and restart KDM:
                Code:
                $ sudo /etc/init.d/kdm restart
                If none of those work, try switching to the Vesa driver and see if that works; if it does, the problem is likely your video driver, and unless you're happy running Vesa, I would suggest sticking with an older kernel until the issue with your video driver is resolved.
                Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Re: Can't start kde with newer kernels solved

Took a while to get back to this. Sorry

Set Driver "vesa" in xorg.conf and can boot fine with the newer kernels.

Also tried doing a fresh ubuntu install on a spare partition I had lying around and had no problems booting with the same kernel and the openchrome driver.

I have to conclude this is a problem with the way kde and openchrome work together. This seems to have been reported elsewhere. Will wait for a fix down the road.

Meanwhile I'm going to try running gnome for a while. Been meaning to check it out again for some time anyway so this is an opportunity.

Thanks for all the suggestions and research integr8e!

Comment

Working...
                  X