X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Several desktop problems in 9.10

I upgraded to 9.10 today from 9.4. Several desktop features disappeared:

1) No minimized window icons. I looked at other forum posts which said to install the Task Manager, but I did that and it's running (I can right click on it and get the preferences dialog), but the taskbar is still empty and I can't click on tasks.

2) The system tray is also blank.

3) None of the mouse buttons do anything on the desktop background.

4) How do I change the wallpaper? I thought it was under System Settings:Appearance or System Settingsesktop, but it isn't. It may be on the desktop-background menu, but I can't get to that.

If I delete the ~/.kde directory and log in, the first time the screen is black and I can see the tray icons, but no minimized windows. The second time I log in, the background is gray and white checks and I can't see either the tray icons nor the minimized windows.

5) Sometimes when I click the K menu or the quick access browser, the window pops up at the top left instead of above the button.

Re: Several desktop problems in 9.10

Looking at your problem, it looks like the window manager is not able to start correctly. The checkered background is the bare bones X Window Manager. This points to a problem either in kdm (the session manager) or the kde-desktop packages. You could try first checking if you have kdm installed. If not, remove the other session manager (usually gdm) and install kdm. If kdm is already installed, check that you're running it and if so, remove, purge and install again.

Comment

Working...
    X