This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved Ubuntu 9.10 and Kubuntu working together

I had ubuntu 9.04 and Kubuntu working perfectly.. If I wanted to change from one to the other I would Log Out and make a choice from the sessions drop down menu. When I upgraded from ubuntu 9.04 t0 9.1o I still have the letters KDE shown in the Sessions drop down menu but when choosing KDE it just goes back to the Log In Screen. I am at my wits end. I went to synaptic and Kubuntu is installed. I tried re-installing it. My friend diid the same process as I and his Kubuntu works great. He also has Xcfe (sic) and works also. Please help. If you need more info please let me know. I will respond as fast as I can.
    hank You
    Merry Christmas
    Happy Hanuka
    Email me of replies reb68@bellsouth.net
    0%
    Please post and I will check the list
    0%
    When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 and Kubuntu working together

I assume you can login to gnome? If so, please do. Then open the home directory in gnome and select view/hidden files. You will see lots of folders many of which will be prefixed by "."

You will find a folder called .kde. Right click on it and select rename. Call it .kde.old or something similar. Then logout of gnome and try a kde login again.

Any joy?

Comment

I did as you said and it still returned me to the login screen. I checked and it built another .kde file
      When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." Frederic Bastiat

Comment

Before the upgrade did you use KDE in earnest? If so, it will make sense to delete the new .kde file and reinstate the old one by renaming it.

Then do a search in your package manager (presumably synaptic) for kde core. Is there anything that looks like it ought to be installed that hasn't been?

Comment

Yes I used Kubuntu equal to ubuntu. I liked it and used it a lot.

Comment

So you could do with keeping the .kde file as it was originally as it contains more than just configuration data.

Comment

It Contains: cache-dick-desktop/env/share/socket-dick-desktop/tmp-dick-desktop
              I did a search for ".kde" and came up with 87 files.

Comment

This is the startupconfig file from .kde. I have seen that ther is no locale language or country in this file or in the startupconfigkeys. thay have the #line referring to it. When I first started to work this out I fille in the locale "en" and the country "us" and it booted up but I have not been able to duplicate it.
                ------------------------------------------------------
                #! /bin/sh
                # kcminputrc Mouse cursorTheme 'Oxygen_Black'
                kcminputrc_mouse_cursortheme="oxy-white"
                # kcminputrc Mouse cursorSize ''
                kcminputrc_mouse_cursorsize=""
                # ksplashrc KSplash Theme Default
                ksplashrc_ksplash_theme="Default"
                # ksplashrc KSplash Engine KSplashX
                ksplashrc_ksplash_engine="KSplashX"
                # kcmfonts General forceFontDPI 0
                kcmfonts_general_forcefontdpi="0"
                # kdeglobals Locale Language '' # trigger requesting languages from KLocale
                kdeglobals_locale_language=""
                # kdeglobals Locale Country ''
                kdeglobals_locale_country="us"
                klocale_languages=en_US
                -------------------------------------------------
                There must ba a file that sets them but I am at a loss.

Comment

if you reinstall the kubuntu-desktop package does that fix it , assuming it missed a part of kde durring upgrade
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I went to synaptic and removed kubuntu-desktop and then reinstalled it. the language and country were not filled in. I had manually changed the files and added th "en" and "en_US" before removing and reinstalling. Now that are gone again,

Comment

nice since you have it working can you please mark this post solved so others can learn from this problem.

thanks Sith.

Comment

I said that the language and country are gone from the file. I still have not been able to oen Kubuntu. That is my main problem. See the first post.
                        I wish it were solved. I appreciate all the help I am getting and hope that sooner or later someone will have an idea to solve it.

Comment

The only thing different between my PC and my buddy's is the hardware. We eliminated Keyboard and Monitor. We downloaded a new driver for my Video card that was built into the motherboard. That solved the problem and I now can use Kubuntu again. Thank you all for trying to help. I appreciate it.
                          How do I mark it solve so it does not cause problems with future postings?

Comment

modify the subject of the first post

Comment

Working...
                            X