This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9.10 upgrade from 8.04 crashed during configuration

All of the files downloaded but the config & install crashed about 2/3's of the way through. Won't boot on any kernel, message 'Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I have a couple of hours invested in this upgrade already.

Is there a way to get this box up and running without doing a clean install?
    - enfield

Re: 9.10 upgrade from 8.04 crashed during configuration

Originally posted by enfield
    All of the files downloaded but the config & install crashed about 2/3's of the way through. Won't boot on any kernel, message 'Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

Sorry, I doubt it. The problem is there are too many things changed from one version to the next. Do a search on any forum for any Linux distribution and you will find the same problems when people try to upgrade rather than do a clean install after backing up their home folders. From Ubuntu to Redhat and everwhere in between they all have the same problems. Even the Kernels are updated irregularly and you never know when something becomes incompatible. Hope you have things backed up.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Thanks for the depressing info.
      - enfield

Comment

What this user is saying does make sense with a single exception. Generally it is not from one version to the next that causes something like you had. The issue you had was as a result of trying to go from 8.04 to 9.10 few version jumps which is a big no no! Instead you should have gone from: 8.04 --> 9.04 ---> 9.10 since you skipped two major releases. The upgrades do fail time to time even with single skips [as seen even here: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3108215.0] but less often because mostly it is tested to go one version higher.

Originally posted by bobcollard
        Originally posted by enfield

Sorry, I doubt it. The problem is there are too many things changed from one version to the next. Do a search on any forum for any Linux distribution and you will find the same problems when people try to upgrade rather than do a clean install after backing up their home folders. From Ubuntu to Redhat and everwhere in between they all have the same problems. Even the Kernels are updated irregularly and you never know when something becomes incompatible. Hope you have things backed up.

Comment

This very same subject is discussed on the Ubuntu forums.
          Read the entire topic.

You have to wait until 10.04 gets released before it will work properly
          Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
          X