X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would backing up home save my software?

Hello,

As I read through the various threads in this forum and I see that many Kubuntu veterans recommend backing up the home directory and installing the newest version of Kubuntu instead of upgrading.

I need Apache,MySQL,PHP installed on my computer for work. I install them using the directions I found on kubuntuguide.org.

If I do a clean install I will loose all my site settings and I will have to find and install all the extensions again.

Is there a way to avoid this? Ubuntu server admins must face this problem on a regular basis. So I am hoping that someone has come up with a semi painless procedure. Could you kindly share the solution?

Many thanks for reading my post.

Re: Would backing up home save my software?

I always prefer an install over an upgrade. It's always a lot cleaner and old config files don't confuse things.

I usually begin by backing up my data and files in my home account to more than one location (CD, DVD, USB).

Then I do a clean install, install my tools (QtCreator, PostgreSQL, etc...), then my data files, documents, emails, etc.

Your tools: Apache, MySQL, PHP, etc. are all in the repository. All you have to do is modify the configs and supply your data and files.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
    X