This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no reboot after updates

I was in the process of downoading the latest updates to the kernel while doing something else. I saw the reboot icon on the task bar and so did what it said. Unfortunately, now I can't reboot Kubuntu--all I get is 'sh grub? with a list of commands. I tried reboot and it said there was no kernel. What did I do wrong? Can I salvage this? I'm relatively new to Linux, but have been using both Ubuntu (laptop) and Kubuntu for the last year and actually prefer it to Windows. But I don't know enough about the commands to decide what to do. Any suggestions?

Re: no reboot after updates

Hi and welcome home

Is it possible for you to upload a few screenshots of what you see? (with a digital camera), and please give more details? (single boot,/dual boot/how many partitions or disks, etc). We might be able to help, I am not sure really what went wrong!

Comment

Wow, that was quick! Thanks for responding. Here is some more information. I am using a clean-installed Kubuntu 9.10 (after my upgrade crashed when it got to flash installation) on a dual-partition disk, shared with Windows xp. As the installation was effected using Wubi, Windows xp is the default os. I can't take a screen shot since my digital camera is in the shop, but here's what happens:
      --I turn on the machine and wait;
      --I get a screen asking me to select windows or kubuntu--I choose the latter;
      --I get a DOS-like screen with the title: GNU GRUB version 1.97 beta 4. Below that is the following message: Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word TAB lists possible command lists possible command completions Anywhere the TAB lists possible device/file completions. This is followed by a command line: sh:grub> When I hit the TAB key I get a list of instructions in alphabetical order, starting with badram, boot, cat, charloader, configfile, and a number of others. I tried 'boot' but got a message saying no kernel was loaded.
      I had previously been downloading the kernel bug fixes. I saw the reload icon and pressed it. What I didn't check was the status of the download/update process. I assumed that the icon meant it was safe to reboot. Is it possible that the reload icon comes on before the process of updating is completely finished? If so, then it's possible that I interrupted the process before it was finished. What are the implications of this? I hope you have enough information now, and thanks for your time and effort.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a straight answer. I was hoping someone else would know better. I simply have never used that shell, I know you can list contents, figure out how to boot (if you really know what you are doing), and finally rebuild grub from within Linux once booted. You may want to try sending a PM to Qqmike, our Grub expert, and see if he can help in this thread.

In the meantime, please keep in mind that this is not a dual boot, really. Wubi is a nice way of testing Kubuntu, but quite frankly it doesn't work as nicely as a real install, and in all cases I have seen, folks play with Wubi for a while and later on get a real side by side install (or just wipe out Windows, depending on how committed they are).

Sorry I can't help any better. Cheers!
        Leo

Comment

I just figured this out (booted my Dell Mini from the shell)

Could you please type "ls" in the shell and report here what you see?

Comment

You basically need to follow the directions in the second post here:
            http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325901

In my case, here is what I did (the screenshot example didn't quite boot, but it gives you an example of how to interact)

root=(hd0,0)
            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
            boot

In your case, who knows what's gonna happen, since Wubi uses a virtual partition, but this might help
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
              I just figured this out (booted my Dell Mini from the shell)

Could you please type "ls" in the shell and report here what you see?
              Here's what I get: (loop0) (hd0) (hd05) (hd01) (fd0)

When I type in set, I get one line (among other lines) that says prefix=(hd0,1)/boot/grub
              This followed by root=loop0

Thanks for responding.

Comment

You are welcome! There is a nice general tutorial on repairing grub here (not sure it will help in this case)
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBBl...1&feature=fvwp

I think the loop0 has to do with Wubi loading a file in WIndows as a partition.

For what I read, exactly what I typed above might work for you

root=(hd0,0)
                boot

If that doesn't work, can you try an ls like in my screenshot for each partition? (I thjink you missed some commas in your report)

ls (hd0,0) /
                ls (hd0,1) /
                ls (hd0,5)/

HTH!

Comment

Wubi is a pretty neat concept, but I had the same problem as you after an upgrade, so I just installed Karmic to a partition. I didn't have the patience to research a fix for what I considered a temporary OS solution. I've got to say that Karmic boots up fast.
                  Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by inhiway
                    Wubi is a pretty neat concept, but I had the same problem as you after an upgrade, so I just installed Karmic to a partition. I didn't have the patience to research a fix for what I considered a temporary OS solution. I've got to say that Karmic boots up fast.
                    I fully agree, and meant to make that point above Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                      You are welcome! There is a nice general tutorial on repairing grub here (not sure it will help in this case)
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtBBl...1&feature=fvwp

I think the loop0 has to do with Wubi loading a file in WIndows as a partition.

For what I read, exactly what I typed above might work for you

root=(hd0,0)
                      boot

If that doesn't work, can you try an ls like in my screenshot for each partition? (I thjink you missed some commas in your report)

ls (hd0,0) /
                      ls (hd0,1) /
                      ls (hd0,5)/

HTH!

When I tried this, I got an error message (vmlinuz command) saying there was no such program. I tried this onall combinations of root and linuzroot and got the same result.
                      I see that wubi wasn't the best idea, but for us amateurs it seemed secure enough. I'd like to get back to this Kubuntu, however, as I have several documents there I can't replace and didn't back up.

Comment

well, we still don't have the output of the ls with the added / I suggested above ...

How about we try the next partition:

Code:
                        root=(hd0,1)
                        linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda2
                        boot

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to use the /.
                          ls (hd0,1)/ gives me a long list of titles which are from the windows partition.
                          ls (hd0,5)/ shows ubuntu and ubuntu backup, so that's obviously where kubuntu is.

Now all I have to do is just get there...
                          Thanks again for your interest and help.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek
                            Sorry, I forgot to use the /.
                            ls (hd0,1)/ gives me a long list of titles which are from the windows partition.
                            ls (hd0,5)/ shows ubuntu and ubuntu backup, so that's obviously where kubuntu is.

Now all I have to do is just get there...
                            Thanks again for your interest and help.
                            Excellent, how about

Code:
                            root=(hd0,5)
                            linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda6
                            boot

Comment

I did what you said and got: Error: file not found.
                              Grubby little program!

Comment

Working...
                              X