Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kdm abnormality after upgrading to 4.3.4?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdm abnormality after upgrading to 4.3.4?

I upgraded to Kde 4.3.4 from 4.3.3 this morning using
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade

Everything seems to go as it normally does, and the kernel was upgraded to Linux ubuntu 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Normally whenever the kernel upgrades, I need to re-install the Nvidia drivers using the

sudo sh ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-190.42-pkg2.run

Afterwards , grub2 seemed to work OK, but when it was time for kdm to start up it just beeped and I could not even use Alt F3 etc to get to a command line. I tried selecting older kernels and various recover modes and got the same results. I needed a boot disk to get into the system. I removed the xserver using apt-get remove xserver-xorg and rebooted which got me back to a prompt where I installed the xserver.

After all was done and working I tried using kdm and it all happened again.

I tried several things but in the end it seemed to be related to kdm - if I used gdm it works OK but with kdm it beeps almost constantly and would not allow me to go any further. The last time I just used the live cd ( fix system) and ran dpkg-reconfigure gdm to select gdm and all was well again. I don't have the knowledge to properly diagnose what is going on, but if someone else should have a simlar problem, you may want to check if it's related to kdm.

One thing that did upset me was when the system was in "low graphics mode" I could select console long on but could not get to the continue button which was off the screen, I read somewhere "Alt A" might work but apparently I was wrong about that too.

Re: kdm abnormality after upgrading to 4.3.4?

I 'upgraded?' to 4.3.4 last night and all seemed well. This morning kwin crashed and
    I got to a console and restarted the computer. Since then kdm starts up in a resolution
    that is unusable. If I ctrl alt f1 and then ctrl alt f7 kdm is at the right resolution. After
    login desktop effects are disabled and I cannot enable them. I've tried a couple of things
    to force kdm to start at the right resolution but no luck. I wouldn't think kwin crash would
    affect kdm so I'm thinking something broke from recent updates. Desktop effects is affecting
    more than one user so I don't know what to think! I'm so confused. At least it still functions
    until I find the fix or more updates come along.

bob

Comment

I was having the same problem and so are others as discussed here:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=8429972

So looks like something is messed with the new KDM 4.3.4

I fixed mine by setting it to use gdm instead of kdm.

From the terminal:
      "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm"
      then select gdm
      reboot.

Computer 1 (nvidia): was able to login using recovery mode and do this easily
      Computer 2 (intel): recovery mode didn't even work and kept giving me a black screen after it tried to start in low graphics mode. The xorg error was about not finding the "i810" driver. easily logged in via ssh to fix.

I feel really sorry for non-command line people when this sort of thing happens.

Hope this helps someone.

Comment

Because everything was kinda working I waited to see if
        any further updates came along and they did. Kernel update
        this morning and all is well. I ended up having to edit
        menu.lst myself but think I caused that issue myself.

bob

Comment

This may be related to another bug that is causing kdm to attempt to start twice, resulting in the "Low Graphics" error. You might try the following, which has worked here:

Code:
          cd /etc/init
          sudo mv failsafe-x.conf failsafe-x.conf-disable
          cd /etc/init.d
          sudo mv failsafe-x failsafe-x-disable
          Then reboot and see if this helps.

Edit: P.S. If you find you need to use GDM, then to shut down from kde, choose logout, and then shut down from the gdm screen.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by gsking123
            -[ snip ]-

From the terminal:
            "sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm"
            then select gdm
            reboot.

-[ snip ]-

Hope this helps someone.
            Greetings gsking123,

I got to this thread and thought: .o0(Yes! Here's the fix!)

Alas, it didn't work. I performed the above command and found that gdm was not install. Sooo... I installed it and made it default. I re-booted thinking: .o0(Now this thing will boot into my preferred resolution.) It didn't, it still goes to the highest resolution this new monitor can handle, 1600x900. I prefer 1024x768, always have and always will.

When I go to System settings/Display, it shows my preferred resolution as default, but does not boot into it. My laptop always boots into 1024x768, but not this PC, and has never. I always have had to change the resolution.

Way back, when I tinkered with FreeBSD, I remember a config file I had to edit to make my preferred resolution default, but I cannot remember the file name. Does Ubuntu / Kubuntu use a similar config file for this?

I am somewhat comfortable with the command line. After all, I started out with MS-DOG and an OS called OS-9 that blew MS-DOG out of the universe. (NOTE: OS-9, not to be confused with Apple's Mac OS9.)

I do not get the "Low graphics" error. I just do not get my preferred resolution upon booting.

Squinting at 1600x900 in the Mid-West, U.S.A. -_-

Rick
            "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

I do not get the "Low graphics" error. I just do not get my preferred resolution upon booting.
              See if this thread helps:
              https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Res...in%20xorg.conf

I kept my CoCo running for over 10 years. Guess why?
              an OS called OS-9 that blew MS-DOG out of the universe.
              And still does.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                -[ snip ]-

I kept my CoCo running for over 10 years. Guess why?
                an OS called OS-9 that blew MS-DOG out of the universe.
                And still does.
                Greetings Doc,

I went back to the kdm manager. For whatever weird reason, I had no restart or shutdown buttons with gdm. Go figure. I needed to do a re-boot after a few updates. Didn't fix my resolution problem either.

I still have my CoCos, all 4 of them. 2 CoCo 3s one CoCo 2 and a CoCo 1. I did have the CoCo 3 out a while back, just to reminisce, but packed it away again. I first started C programming on my CoCo. Had 3 windows open, one for edit, one for compile and one for test. It was cool!

I really liked OS-9, there was so much you could do that could not be done, that I know of, with MS-DOG. Try modifying a file descriptor, directly on disk, without the use of an editor, with MS-DOG. I did that so many times on my CoCo's HD!

Well, gotta run...

Reminiscing in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
                "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

It seems there is a patch now to fix the kdm problem.
                  The problem is caused by ubuntu startup scripts expecting to see gdm. When gdm fails to start, the startup scripts automatically start a failsafe-x session, along with kdm trying to start normally.
                  The patch is here:
                  http://launchpadlibrarian.net/365043...-upstart.patch

It works here, almost. There is still another problem - even after the fix, I am getting text on both tty1 and tty8, which should not exist. Trying to start in rescue mode still fails, due to the text on tty8 overwriting the screen. But the bootup problem is temporarily resolved with this patch.

For those not familiar with patching software:

First, if you followed my workaround, then you will need to:
                  Code:
                  sudo mv /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf-disable /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf
                  sudo mv /etc/init.d/failsafe-x-disable /etc/init.d/failsafe-x
                  Download the text from the link above, and save it as failsafe-upstart.patch
                  Then:
                  Code:
                  sudo cp failsafe-upstart.patch /etc/init
                  cd /etc/init
                  sudo cp failsafe-x.conf failsafe-x.conf-backup
                  sudo patch <failsafe-upstart.patch
                   name of file to patch: failsafe-x.conf
                  That should do it.

Comment

-[ snip ]-
                    Then:
                    Code:
                    sudo cp failsafe-upstart.patch /etc/init
                    cd /etc/init
                    sudo cp failsafe-x.conf failsafe-x.conf-backup
                    sudo patch <failsafe-upstart.patch
                     name of file to patch: failsafe-x.conf
                    That should do it.
                    Greetings Doc,

Well, all went well until I got to the "patch" command. I received this error message:
                    sudo: patch: command not found
                    I searched through Adept and found nothing remotely related to patching files. Any ideas?

Stuck in the patch in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
                    &quot;Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace.&quot; - Me

Comment

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install patch
                      is how I got it.

If that doesn't work, you can install the change manually.
                      Backup your failsafe-x.conf file, and then edit it using sudo.
                      Delete the bottom line in the file that says, "exec /etc/gdm/failsafeXServer".
                      After the word "task", on a new line, insert this:
                      Code:
                      script
                          if [ ! -f /etc/X11/default-display-manager -o "$(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null)" = "/usr/sbin/gdm" ]; then
                              /etc/gdm/failsafeXServer
                          fi
                      end script

This may all be irrelevant now or in the near future. There has been a lot of activity regarding bug # 491483 on Launchpad, and evidently new packages with the fix have been uploaded. Not sure when these will make it into the normal updates.

Comment

Code:
                        sudo apt-get install patch
                        is how I got it.
                        -[ snip ]-
                        This may all be irrelevant now or in the near future. There has been a lot of activity regarding bug # 491483 on Launchpad, and evidently new packages with the fix have been uploaded. Not sure when these will make it into the normal updates.
                        Greetings Doc,

I got and installed patch. I patched the file per your previous instructions and the patch work like a champ. Thank you!

I do believe things are starting to look up for this old PC. Now I just need to tackle the resolution "glitch" and all will be well.

I seem to remember doing some patch work with OS-9, way back in the day.

Looking up and all I see are snow clouds in the Mid-West, U.S.A.

Rick
                        &quot;Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace.&quot; - Me

Comment

Per the bug discussion on Launchpad, today's update includes a fixed gdm package, which solves this issue. I reverted to the pre-patched version of /etc/init/failsafe-x.conf, and the new gdm package seems to fix the whole mess.

Comment

So you guys know. You can always use startx from the console. When you get that error pop up click ok then on the next pop up select exit to console login. Login and use the command startx. You do not need a login manager to start xorg. Saves a lot of fiddling around while waiting for a patch. Whenever xorg won't start use the command line startx if it does not work you will get a message in the console giving you the error.

Comment

You can always use startx from the console.
                              True. But if you trace through all of the scripts it executes, you find that in Ubuntu and its variants, it winds up starting gdm or kdm or whatever is listed in /etc/X11/default-display-manager . The same thing is accomplished by:
                              Code:
                              sudo service kdm start
                              or gdm or whatever, from the text console. So startx won't get you out of problems, unless you bypass the scripts and go straight to xterm or whatever (like the old days).

Comment

Working...
                              X