X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 freezes during boot after clean install

Hi,

So basically I want to dual-boot XP & Kubuntu 9.10, but having some issues. I formatted the hard drive, installed Windows on 1 partition, left room for Kubuntu. I popped in the CD with the .iso image I burned, and did the Demo, with option to Install. I do the install and manually partitioned it.

I have 1 hard drive, divided into 4 total partitions (all primary):
    1-XP (NTFS)
    2-/ (ext3)
    3-/home (ext3)
    4-swap

Once I manually partitioned it, I went through the installation process, and it asked me to reboot, I did. That's where it locked up. I shut it down and booted it in recovery mode and found that it locked up after this line:

"skip stopping firewall: ufw (not enabled)"

What's the problem? I've been trying for the past few days to install this...I'm guessing I did something wrong with the partitioning, but what, I'm not exactly sure.

VIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz
    2.80 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
    160 GB HD

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 freezes during boot after clean install

I'm assuming your laptop isn't especially old or of unusual make. If the computer has unusual hardware (wireless, etc.) which can be turned off, try doing so.

Did you verify the integrity of the CD before you installed (look on the CD boot menu)?

It could be an error on the hard drive itself (bad sector, etc.) though it should tell you.

It sounds like you partitioned it correctly. Can you reboot into the CD's rescue mode, run parted on the hard drive device, and post it ? Hints: mount drive as non-root from menu, on the command line type the mount command to see what device is mounted on /temporary (or whatever it uses), then run: parted /dev/[whatever the device was above]

Now type p [enter] to print the partition table and make sure it looks right.

If you haven't discovered the problem, I would recommend just redoing the install (from the installer, delete the partitions you created and recreate them).
    Kubuntu 9.10 i386; Ubuntu 8.04 on Xen; Maemo 5

Comment

I too am having similar trouble with installation of 9.10. I have tried clean installation from a .iso disk I burned (verified the checksum). Initially I had 9.04 running and tried the upgrade via the Package loaded. In both casess the installation seemed to go ok and then at reboot time the system locked up displaying alternately a blank screen and a partial Kubuntu startup screen.

Comment

After upgrading my notebook from 8.04 to 9.10 it has occasionally, on booting, "frozen" in a peculiar manner after starting KDM:

Encrypted volumes are mounted (or something goes wrong and they aren't, according to the last instance; yet I was able to login through the console and ls files in /boot and /), KDM takes the screen, but instead of the login prompt, the "hard drive" icon shows, as though it's bypassing login, then it appears to freeze (but like I said, I was able to switch to a console, then switch back to X, whereafter it "froze" even more (no console switching, but I could Ctrl-Alt-Del and it shut down properly)). Fun fun.
        Kubuntu 9.10 i386; Ubuntu 8.04 on Xen; Maemo 5

Comment

Working...
        X