This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest updates break kubuntu boot

My Karmic install has dkms installed and the vbox* and nvidia modules recompile themselves automatically whenever the kernel is upgraded

Comment

In fact, the error message displayed by VirtualBox is

"
      Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

‘/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup’

as root. Users of Ubuntu, Fedora or Mandriva should install the DKMS package first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary."

Comment

Yes, no need to completely reinstall virtualbox. I booted to the -14 kernal. edited the correct vboxdrv entry in rc.2 so it would not load, rebooted to the -15 kernel, ran vboxdrv setup, now everything is OK. Also had to recompile my 190 Nvidia driver kernel because updated installed and update to the 185 driver which reinstalled the 185 driver. I forgot to uninstall it.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
          I really have no idea without studying it, sorry. WAG: Grub4DOS may be passing control to GRUB 2? That's my guess.
          Well fwiw, I did find a way in the Wubi docs to fsck the root.disk file, which is the entire kubuntu installation file . It gave me a file system error which it said there was no way to fix, so I wiped everything and started over, for the third time I think, after kernel panic errors in my last instance. 9.10 / Wubi has not been as stable as 9.04, which is too bad because other than that it is a good improvement over 9.04.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you got it "solved."
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

got the kernel update myself yesterday, still starts up correctly. and on top of that dkms handled the upgrading (or recompiling ) of vbox drivers (non ose if that matters) and the ati driver.

@aiiee idk how many people here will know about the in's and outs of the wubi boot process, i think most of us have it installed on a partition. or as the only os on the machine.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
              X