This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest updates break kubuntu boot

aiiee, here's a how-to on GRUB 2, but I wouldn't spend too much time reading it just yet (maybe just scan the Table of Contents). Thing is, you have Wubi, and I have no clue how that works; how you get "inside" the Wubi thing to make surgical corrections. But, anyway, I'm not sure that this is GRUB's fault, but ... fwiw ...

GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

fuggit. I'm restoring from backup and making sure I don't have any funky repositories checked in kpackageupdate. If it happens again, I'll worry about it then.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
        aiiee, here's a how-to on GRUB 2, but I wouldn't spend too much time reading it just yet (maybe just scan the Table of Contents). Thing is, you have Wubi, and I have no clue how that works; how you get "inside" the Wubi thing to make surgical corrections. But, anyway, I'm not sure that this is GRUB's fault, but ... fwiw ...

GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
        thank you! Not much help on the wubi site that I can find. Windows Boot Loader calls wubildr.mbr, and [big black box here] grub2 is called. feh. This shouldn't have happened.

Comment

[REDACTED]

Comment

Ok, from your most excellent guide which I threw away once, yet managed to read the second time it was handed me, I find the following example entry for grub.cfg:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_Linux ###
            menuentry "Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS, kernel 2.6.24-24-generic" {
            set root=(hd1,2)
            linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.24-24-generic root=UUID=0df17bc5-0056-4ef7-bfca-251194b6eb44 ro quiet splash
            initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-24-generic
            }
            ### END /etc/grub.d/10_Linux ###

so, if the update to the kernel did not rewrite this properly, then grub won't be able to find a kernel, which is what appears to be happening. This is what I will look at next.

Comment

(aside ... IF you could get booted into Kubuntu and run sudo update-grub, that would automatically update the boot menu (/boot/grub/grub.cfg) to the latest kernels; but ... as I say, the Wubi thing is greek to me; another command for doing the same thing is sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg, again run from inside Kubuntu)
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by tnorris
                OK, here goes. I'm about to reboot...Hopefully I'll be back in a few minutes. <crosses fingers>

Edit: All went well. No problems to report here.
                I got notified today, too, and the new kernel updated and runs just fine.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thx qqmike. The wubi documentation is a bit confusing. The wubi documentation refers to 'grub4dos' being used. I guess that is instead of grub2? I think I will wait until I finish my backup to get into the os and poke around. I was at a grub command line before and it sure looked like grub2. very confusing. I'm pretty sure I'll be trying your grub-update suggestion soon enough.

Comment

sounds like you might need a grub4dos tutorial ... should be plenty of those around (google)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                      sounds like you might need a grub4dos tutorial ... should be plenty of those around (google)
                      yes, but the problem is, what is being used, grub4dos or grub2? The wubi documentation looks like it hasnt been updated since 8.10...

Comment

I really have no idea without studying it, sorry. WAG: Grub4DOS may be passing control to GRUB 2? That's my guess.

Comment

A different problem with the updates. Does anyone else have virtualbox installed? On boot to the -15 kernel I get a bunch of error messages about the vbox drivers and "Performance Counters", the it goes to a CLI Login, with a flashing screen, but won't take a login. I can reboot to the -14 kernel OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                            A different problem with the updates. Does anyone else have virtualbox installed? On boot to the -15 kernel I get a bunch of error messages about the vbox drivers and "Performance Counters", the it goes to a CLI Login, with a flashing screen, but won't take a login. I can reboot to the -14 kernel OK.
                            That's what I learned to dislike about VitualBox -- the need to recompile the kernel headers when it is installed. Since it is installed specifically for the existing headers subsequent upgrades to a newer kernel fail to boot IF VirtualBox can't recognise the new headers and trigger a recompile. In that case perhaps it would be easier to run the previous kernel, make a backup of your guest OS files, remove VirtualBox, reboot into the new kernel (if it will) and then reinstall VirtualBox, which will rebuild the headers for the new kernel, then reinstall your guest OS files.
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

That's why I like VMPlayer. When a new kernel is installed, it 'recognizes' this and rebuilds the modules it uses when you launch it.
                              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                                yes I have vbox and the -15 kernel .............the first time I rebooted after installing the -15 kernel and all the rest of the 32 or so updates my wireless wouldent work and I got the (one or more devices on your system are no longer pluged in would you like kde to permenentley forget about them) this is allwase the sound and is allwase a duplacet entry after a kernel upgrade and is safe to click yes forget it.....but I dident

a second boot and the duplacet sound entrey was gone but wirless still a no go.

a therd boot and all was well and I'm on the new kernel now .......at no time did vbox give me eney trouble and I just fired up the 9.10 .ISO with it and it's working ok.

vbox-3.0.8 KDE-4.3.3 kernal-2.6.31-15-generic

VINNY
                                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                                16GB RAM
                                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                                X