This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphics driver

Upgraded 9.04 to 9.10 Installed ati graphics driver (fglrx) reboot...black screen. Tried re-installing 9.10 several times then ati driver with Jockey or the ati download. Still black screen. I,m using an ati Radeon HD 3450. Reading the forum there seems to be a problem with some ati and nvidia drivers. Is there an issue with xServer or the kernel ? Can anyone recommend a graphics card that is compatible with 9.10 enhanced graphics.

Re: Graphics driver

Hi,
    ATI's support for linux is, at best, poor and for some cards non existent. I changed to an nvidia 9200gt 3 weeks ago and I'm glad I did. Works well with nvidia 185 driver which kubuntu puts in automagically.
    HTH
    geordie

Comment

I have the same problem except with a nvidea board. It worked for a couple of weeks then an update knocked it out. Using an older kernal did not help. Using an older nvidea driver also did not help. I can reinstall but the default driver is unusable.

Comment

Originally posted by gs
        Upgraded 9.04 to 9.10 Installed ati graphics driver (fglrx) reboot...black screen. Tried re-installing 9.10 several times then ati driver with Jockey or the ati download. Still black screen. I,m using an ati Radeon HD 3450. Reading the forum there seems to be a problem with some ati and nvidia drivers. Is there an issue with xServer or the kernel ? Can anyone recommend a graphics card that is compatible with 9.10 enhanced graphics.
        try the latest driver from amd.com. run sudo ati-config --initial -f after it installs, then reboot.
        # make install --not-war

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I've tried the ati download russlar, no improvement Just have to plod on with 9.04 and see what happens at Christmas

Comment

Working...
          X