This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

disabling cups?

Hi - ashamed that i couldn't figure this out through googling here and in general, i humbly ask:

What's the best way to disable cups? I don't want to uninstall it, i just want to flip the metaphoric "start cups on startup" switch. Some day, if i ever need to print from my computer, i'd like to be able to flip it back on, and i'd like updates and bug fixes to be pulled in as per usual along the way.

update-rc.d ? What would the command be, exactly?

Thanks a lot!
    -c

Re: disabling cups?

What are you hoping to accomplish? If you don't print anything, CUPS is not going to use any resources. If you have no printer installed, then there's nothing for CUPS to print to, so it's not going to do anything.

Comment

You can take a look at KMenu > System Settings > Advanced > System Services, and see if it will let you "turn off" the CUPS daemon, by highlighting the line and clicking the "Stop the Service" button. Don't look for a huge performance boost ......

Comment

Ooops, I had misinterpreted a bootchart and thought cups was starting up all kinds of subsidiary processes... upon looking again, i see that it only takes a couple seconds (faster startup time was my main objective in disabling it.) Even so, i wouldn't mind disabling it... i've had this laptop 5 years and have never printed anything, so a couple seconds kinda adds up... :-) I seem to remember seeing cupsd using a tiny bit of cpu here and there, but i may have imagined that...

I don't see it listed in Service Manager... ?

Thanks for any other ideas (update-rc.d?) , and i won't worry about it too much. :-)
        -c

Comment

Not Service Manager.

System Services

Comment

Hmmm... i go to system settings, click the "Advanced" tab, yeah? I see Service Manager, but no System Services icon... ? I'm missing something i think... :-)

Thanks!
            -c

Comment

OK. Sorry, I must apologize. Debian with KDE4 has a "System Services" dialog, but Kubuntu 9.10 does not.

OK. mumble mumble mumble .......

If you open KMenu > System > Monitor > Process Table, you can find cupsd way down the list of root owned processes. On my system, it is eighth from the bottom. You can kill it from this window.

But, as far as preventing it from starting in the first place, I'm still looking for the capability to do that.

Comment

Hey no sweat; yeah i can kill the process no problem, but if you have any thoughts on the startup thing, i'm all ears, thank you.

In fact, if you know of any tutorial/FAQ about the startup sequence of Kubuntu (from kernel options and modules to init.d scripts to rc.local to X configs to KDE level startups and wherever else stuff is triggered) I'd love to read up on that. I often get a little lost in that stuff.

E.g. I tried in vain to figure out how to disable bluetooth (bluetoothd makes a LED blink constantly on my laptop). I ended up just "stop"ing the service in rc.local on startup because messing with the init scripts (e.g. moving out /etc/rc4.d/S25bluetooth and then update-rc.d) didn't seem to have any effect on it (i.e. it still loaded). Instead of doing similar (probably update-messing-with) hacking with cups, i thought i'd ask first. :-)

Thanks again,
                -c

Comment

It appears that the "Autostart" dialog in System Settings > Advanced is limited to KDE packages. So, to prevent cupsd from starting, you'll have to go upstream into the Linux startup sequence, prior to KDE login, I think.

One experiment that might be useful would be to (a) choose the "console login" off the "greeter" screen menu, and then see if cupsd is running at that point, or not, and then (b) you can try a Recovery Console login, as root, and see if cupsd is running there. If you can narrow down where cupsd is being launched, maybe you can find the file where you can comment it out.

Comment

Ok, thanks very much for the tips, i'll look into it more if i remain inspired. :-)

Comment

The quickest way to control startup system services is to merely rename the services in /etc/rc2.d. Find the service, rename it so that it starts with a "K" instead of "S". (must be done with root privileges). See the README file in that directory.

Comment

Ah, thanks. I saw that a given link exists in many of the rc directories, but didn't know which one(s) mattered the most. I'll give it a shot. -c

Comment

Working...
                        X