X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Display post Kubuntu 9.10 Install

Hello Guys,

After a frustrating good few days of installing,uninstalling and adding packages via apt-get, I have decided to rollback to Kubuntu 9.0.4. This is because I can't get a display after I install Kubuntu 9.10 (within Windows option) and reboot the computer.

I have 2 other OSs already installed which are: Win7 64bit & Vista Ultimate 32bit. 4GB Ram. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3870 (CrossFire).

I found that I didn't have this problem with Kubuntu 9.0.4! I have also tried the upgrade option also from 9.0.4 to 9.10 but it's the same issue.
    I tried adding radeon* packages via apt-get install and have tried adding some other packages which I've been reading on forums etc...but of no avail.

I've tried going to recovery mode chosen during bootup and fix any broken packages etc..but of no use.

Hence please help me! I don't think anyone encountered the exact issue though with 9.10 which is why I'm posting my query.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Please let me know what other info do you guys need to help resolve this issue.

Also, forgot to mention that though I don't see the display, I do hear the music after the KDE display is up like a gentle piano kind of music !

-Bharath

Re: No Display post Kubuntu 9.10 Install

I have the same thing, except that I had a good installation working for weeks. Suddenly, all I could boot to was a blank screen. Seem to be running correctly except I could not see a thing. (I get music. I could enter my password and the would continue to boot up. I could also shut it down.)

I reinstalled and it was okay until I installed the nvidea driver. Now it's back to a blank screen.

This did not help me but it might help you. Boot into rescue mode, go to a prompt, and do a:
    sudo apt-get update
    then a
    sudo apt-get upgrade -f
    It's worth a try.

Comment

That's a video problem. See #2 on the FAQs in my signature.

When you get the black screen, did you try Alt-F1? Sometimes that shows you a tty console where you can log in.

What is the hardware?

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. I did get into the console mode by : ctrl+alt+F1 and logged in and tried apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade,apt-get install xorg.....
        But none of them fixed the issue.
        I'll the Alt+F1 you mentioned but it would be the same as my above combinations isn't it to get to a console login?

My h/w is:

Sytem: Alienware M17 (17'' screen)

Processor: (2x - INTELCore 2Duo T9600 CPU,2800/1066,6M)
        RAM : 4GB
        Video Card:
        M17 ATI RADEON M88 XT 512MB HD3870 MASTER REV. 1
        M17 ATI RADEON M88 XT 512MB HD3870 SLAVE REV. 1
        Above cards with Crossfire.

What else do you require?

Dibl, I've seen your FAQs, especially #2, but am not sure how to go ahead with it as I don't really understand those. I've also tried installing the ATI drivers that I've downloaded from ATI itself for Linux 32bit and Mobility 3000 series. But of no avail.

I just download Kubuntu 9.0.4, burnt the ISO and when I try to install (after using DVD to boot), I get the language option, TimeZone option graphics etc !! That means 9.0.4 had no issues with my laptop but 9.10 has??!!

Thanks again guys.

I'm trying again with 9.10 DVD and will see if I can get anywhere..

Comment

I've created a new 20GB partition just for Kubuntu 9.10 as earlier I was trying to install it into a partition which already has Windows on it. However note that I was able to install,get the display and everything going with 9.0.4 which was installed in the same partition as Windows.

I am trying to install 9.1.0 into that new partition but I keep getting some 'permission denied' issue at the end of installation (installation within Windows). I'm just running into too many issues at this stage.

I will probably rollback to 9.0.4 and upgrade to karmic koala later on when I fully understand the issue and also be ready by downloading all the required drivers for ATI when I'm in 9.0.4 itself.

By the way, do anyone of you know, whether there are any video drivers/packages that have been 'removed' between 9.0.4 to 9.10 due to why I'm able to install and get the display in 9.0.4 but not in 9.10??

Thanks
          Bharath

Comment

Ok, I've gone past the initial issue. I put in the CD(Kubuntu 9.10 iso image) and used F4 options to load safe graphics and continued with the installation. I then got the display and I've also installed the proprietary drivers from my ATI Mobillity from the start menu hardware drivers application.
            I was asked bout Grub(of which I have no idea) update since a new version was found but the local one was modified. I just chose use the local one (if I remember the options correctly).
            The installation finished and asked me to reboot the system. I did that..after my BIOS screen, I saw something like "Grub loading", then I have the OSs, Kubuntu version...something..pae, then the rescue mode, then my other OSs (Win7 & Vista).
            I choose the first option, Kubuntu..pae, I get the tty login, I put in the username & password and that's it. I just get into console. Now how do I get into the GUI? I mean, I can i switch into the GUI mode??

Comment

Working...
            X