X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mount of filesystem failed

Hi Folks,

OK - machine - Toshiba NB200 - previously running 9.10 Ubuntu, had also replaced with 9.10 Netbook remix. Ran fine with those.

Installed Kubuntu 9.10 desktop, transfering the filesystems to ext4 and reformatting; and after installing, it failed to boot with the message...
    Code:
    Mount of filesystem failed.
    A maintenance shell will now be started.
    CONTROL-D will terminate this shell and re-try
    ...at which point I find myself at a root prompt.

I tried the same with Ubuntu 9.10 desktop and the same happened.

I can manually mount the /home partition with no problem.

The only thing that is on my mind is maybe the ext4 filesystem is causing a problem? I've used the kubuntu 9.10 install on a Toshiba A10 and that is perfectly happy.

Unless someone comes up with some other ideas, my next attempt will be to reinstall 9.10 kubuntu with ext3 filesystems, because I can't find any solutions in my searches.

Re: mount of filesystem failed

Try running fsck manually on your (unmounted) /home partition from the maintenance (root) shell:
    Code:
    fsck <device>
    (replace <device> with the actual device [something like /dev/sda2] of your /home partition)

If that doesn't work, posting the contents of /etc/fstab and the output of 'sudo blkid', may help.

Comment

Hi,

It didn't work. I went back to ext3 and it is working happily with Kubuntu, so I'm happy to not tinker any further.

Michelle.

Comment

if can you post both your fstab and output of 'sudo blkid' as kubicle suggests , would greatly help in finding the reason for the error.
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Even after it has been rebuilt and has ext3 on it now? If it will help, I'll do it.

Comment

Working...
          X