Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you recover a encrypted home dir?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you recover a encrypted home dir?

Hello,

I'd like to reinstall Karmic. (The current installation is won't boot.) But first I'd like to recover my home dir which is encrypted. I have the password, but have not figured out how to decrypt it.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Re: How do you recover a encrypted home dir?

How did you encrypted your /home/your_dir?, or perhaps you just change the access permission.
    Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

Encryption was an option during installation.

Comment

So, at least once you ever logged in to put your stuffs in there, right? Otherwise, why not reinstall then. But, if it takes to long to boot, just wait for few minutes or more. BTW, what did you have on your machine? I mean; any other kernels.
        Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

Yes, I have a few weeks of stuff in the computer. And I do intend on reinstalling but I'd like to get my files off first. The other kernels have the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wmrobins
            Yes, I have a few weeks of stuff in the computer. And I do intend on reinstalling but I'd like to get my files off first. The other kernels have the same problem.
            When you encrypted your home directory there was a long number sequence you should have written down to access it through terminal. If you don't have it there is no other way then to start over. Sorry.
            Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Well, I got my home dir backed up. Reinstalled Karmic and the new installation got messed up when I installed the nvidea driver. So, at least now I know what messed me up.

Oh Well.

Comment

This may or may not be helpful for your situation:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Comment

Working...
                X