This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solved - Proper kernel removal

2.6.31-020631-generic has caused me nothing but grief.
    2.6.31-15-generic works fine.

So, what are the correct steps to remove the default kernel, drop back to the desired kernel, and clean up GRUB?

As always, thanks for your assistance
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Re: Solved - Proper kernel removal

Sometimes you just have to jump in I guess.

Removing the current kernel through synaptic took care of it all. Now my machine runs a little slower but at least it boots up reliably now.
    Kubuntu 11.10<br />KDE 4.7.3<br />Athlon XP 2000<br />512 MB RAM<br />ATI 64MB Video<br />~11 year old system still kicking :&gt

Comment

I'm not sure where the 2.6.31-020631-generic came from. I don't see it in the repositories.
      But yes, as you discovered, you can remove it and its associated files with synaptic.
      You may need to run 'sudo update-initramfs -u' and 'sudo update-grub' afterwards to complete the switch to the other kernel.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Related:
        HOWTO: Removing unnecessary entries from the grub menu list, Rog131
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3082556.0

As for synaptic, with GRUB 2, after removing or installing kernels, synaptic is supposed to automatically run update-grub. That's the theory, anyway.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
        X