This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

install lower version of ubuntu into a newer version

I wonder if I can install the old version of (K)ubuntu into the newer one; ie., install jaunty into karmic, no matter how karmic is upgraded from the previous jaunty or installing the fresh one. If the karmic installed is from upgraded jaunty, I can select boot options to boot from either of them (J or K). But, if for the fresh karmic; I can not select the option (No J or kernel versions to select).

If this is possible, the other distros should be applied, similarly.

tawee

Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Re: install lower version of ubuntu into a newer version

If I follow what you are asking, you want to have both jaunty and karmic in the same partition, and be able to choose which one at boot time. The answer is no, you cannot do this, because the different versions use different scripts and configuration files, as well as differenty configured kernels in some cases.
    I don't think you can downgrade an installation, either, meaning you cannot revert from karmic to jaunty. The reason is similar -- configuration files get changed when going from one version to another, and typically an older version of a package will not be able to understand how the newer version's configuration file is set up. I suppose you could try it, but many things are going to break, and it might not be bootable.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
      ...... asking, you want to have both jaunty and karmic in the same partition,......
      I don't think we could install the older onto the newer on the same partition. As you mentioned that scripts, extra files etc., will be conflicted on different kernels, one is operational but the others not. What I mean is to install the older one as though it were the newer one, select new partition which already prepared. And get things done....

Boot options may be given to grub boot loader to decide how things should be going on. I can't imagine, just to ask whether any one experienced this matter.
      Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

I'm still not sure I follow, but if you mean have different versions (jaunty, karmic) installed on different partitions, yes, you can do that. You can have as many versions of as many systems as you have bootable partitions, and the grub update script should find them all. I have jaunty, karmic, lucid, sidux, and opensuse all on my system, each one in its own partition.
        The only tricky part is that when you install a system on another partition, you need to tell it NOT to install the boot loader. Otherwise, it will take over booting the disk. After installing, you must then return to your original system and run 'sudo update-grub'. Then your boot menu will list all of the systems and their options (that can become a very long list).
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
          ........ You can have as many versions of as many systems as you have bootable partitions, and the grub update script should find them all. I have jaunty, karmic, lucid, sidux, and opensuse all on my system, each one in its own partition.
          The only tricky part is that when you install a system on another partition, you need to tell it NOT to install the boot loader. Otherwise, it will take over booting the disk. After installing, you must then return to your original system and run 'sudo update-grub'. Then your boot menu will list all of the systems and their options (that can become a very long list).
          Thanks doctor,

I would take a trial... to install my local linux 'LinuxTLE' Version 9.0 : made in Thailand by NECTEC which is based on Ubuntu 7.10

Comment

Working...
          X