Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[solved] [sort of] "X server startup timeout" when kdm is starting...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] [sort of] "X server startup timeout" when kdm is starting...

Hi - did a good 9.04 -> 9.10 upgrade, still sorting out a couple of minor kinks.

Seems like startup is slower recently (not sure if i'm imagining things) but investigating the logs shows the following when filtering for "kdm":

2009-11-19 15:48:51 mymachine kdm[1162] X server startup timeout, terminating
    2009-11-19 15:49:06 mymachine kdm[1162] X server termination timeout, killing
    2009-11-19 15:49:06 mymachine kdm[1162] X server died during startup
    2009-11-19 15:49:06 mymachine kdm[1162] Failed to start X server. Starting failsafe X server.

...perhaps a recent update somehow messed up my X config? It seemed snappy after the upgrade, but slower in the last week or so. I'm sorry i'm an X beginner; I'd post helpful log files or configs ahead of time but I'm not sure what would be useful... Of course i'll be happy to provide whatever may be relevant. (e.g. one of the X.org logs?)

Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop... from lspci:

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]

Here is xorg.conf:

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "DontZap" "True"
    EndSection

#Option "DRI" "off"
    Any help is much appreciated. If this is a case where i just need to go through a "so you're having problems with your X configs" tutorial, feel free to say so; i posted instead of doing that because the problem cropped up recently (after several years without problems). Thanks!

-c

Re: "X server startup timeout" when kdm is starting...

Same here. In my case I installed the latest nvidia driver which made it work better, but many times I have to reboot like twice until X starts.

Comment

Hmmm... I guess my current best guess is "9.10 upgrade messed up the xorg.conf config" and i'll work from that assumption for a little while and see if it yields any insight. Any thoughts from anyone are welcome...

Thanks,
      -c

Comment

Here's a boot chart PNG (attached). It looks like Xorg is starting no less than 4 times.

However, I see in /var/log/kdm.log:

error setting MTRR (base = 0xd0000000, size = 0x02000000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)
        ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
        ...which seems to be the last thing a given X.org process logs before dying.

I've googled around for that and haven't found too much useful info about it. I will be trying to copy /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc, as per one person's suggestion, and will try adding an option to xorg.conf (not sure where?):
        Option "mtrr" "false"
        Some seem to think that the mtrr error is not actually what may be causing X to fail to start up. It also seems to be related to window managers somehow.

~/.xsession-errors has all kinds of stuff in it. I'll post a clean version of that after i start up one more time.

While in /var/log i ran this:

grep -r fail Xorg.*
        and I see:

Xorg.1.logEE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
        Xorg.1.log.oldEE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
        Xorg.2.logEE) RADEON(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed. Disabling DRI.
        Xorg.failsafe.log:_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/caseylinux:0
        Xorg.failsafe.log:_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerList eners: failed to open listener for inet6
        Xorg.failsafe.log++) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log", Time: Sat Nov 21 16:05:29 2009
        Xorg.failsafe.log++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe"
        Xorg.failsafe.logII) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed...Tried again without customized values.
        Xorg.failsafe.log.old:_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/caseylinux:0
        Xorg.failsafe.log.old:_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServer Listeners: failed to open listener for inet6
        Xorg.failsafe.log.old++) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log", Time: Sat Nov 21 16:05:26 2009
        Xorg.failsafe.log.old++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe"
        Xorg.failsafe.log.oldII) VESA(0): VBESetVBEMode failed...Tried again without customized values.
        ...none of which seems like it would cause Xorg to die or fail... there's the DRI thing, but it sounds as if that was accounted for by the driver.

-c

Comment

Hi - forgot to post the bootchart, but i'll skip it and .xession-errors (which are numerous but apparently unrelated) unless requested.

I figured one thing out, at least: i should have mentioned that i have auto-login configured. It logs in but goes to the "locked" screen. I have found (at least three times, so far) that if i tap the shift key to bring up the login window (which is invisible in auto "locked" (screen saver) mode, so i need to do that to log in after startup), it seems to cause this problem.

If i wait until the mouse pointer appears, give it a few more seconds, and just generally be patient before i start hitting "shift", it seems to not do the multiple-X-startup-failure routines. If I am impatient and tap shift a lot as it's starting up, i get the four-X-startups behavior.

So perhaps X is not ready for keyboard input that early in the morning. :-)

The irony is that my slow startup, which originally prompted this investigation, is not helped either way (both about 105s with all the KDE loading, etc.) I think it's the fsck on the FAT32 partitions that's slowing things down.

So i'll call this "solved", in a sense, unless further problems crop up, and if anyone has any other thoughts, feel free to reply.

Thanks,
          -c

Comment

Re: [solved] [sort of] "X server startup timeout" when kdm is starting...

Anyone think this is worth a bug post? I guess it may be...

Comment

This appears to be a problem with kdm being started before the video drivers. As a result, it is being started multiple times. There are several threads related to this problem. I filed a bug report on this (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/485033) but so far it's just sitting in limbo. There are quite a few users having troubles similar to this; it's fair to say that the startup sequence in karmic is major messed up, at least on some installations. If you have the gnome desktop installed, you might want to try switching to gdm instead of kdm -- that seems to have solved the problem here.
              We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. As my workaround, i'm satisfied with not pressing any keys until it's ready, which seems to solve it, but it's good to know that i can try gdm if i need to. What you describe here and in the bug report sounds plausible (to my half-educated ears) as a cause of what happens to me; either way, sounds like the booting is still in flux. Hopefully it'll be sorted out a little more for the LTS release... just for completeness, i include with this post an example boot chart of my multiple-startups... thanks, -c

P.s. boot chart too big to attach, so see: http://www.mediafire.com/?y4zjltytz10

Comment

FYI - The issue does appear to be fixed in lucid, at least in its present state. Other things are unstable, so I wouldn't recommend switching to lucid at this point for a production system.
                  We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Nice.

Comment

I tried switching to GDM with bad results. After login a small terminal window on white background appears on screen, so I've had to switch back to KDM.

I usually have to restart 2-3 times until I can get into KDE. As I'm writing this, the system has upgraded some packages. I'll write back if it solves anything...

Comment

Have you checked things out with bootchart? There's probably a better/smarter way, but for a naive like me it was a handy way to visualize what processes are doing what when... good for getting leads, anyway. I installed packages "bootchart" and "pybootchartgui", and it automatically worked from there (e.g. no kernel options needed, as some tutorials suggest). After boot (and after some time for the PNG generation to take place), see /var/log/bootchart/blah.png

You've looked in /var/log/kdm.log?

-c

Comment

Hmm, in /var/log/kdm.log I notice this (I'm using nvidia 190.42, dkms didn't give any errors when installing the module):

Code:
                          ++) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log", Time: Wed Nov 25 21:48:12 2009               
                          (++) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe"                          
                          error setting MTRR (base = 0xd5000000, size = 0x00e00000, type = 1) Invalid argument (22)        
                          (EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
                          and this:

Code:
                          (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"                               
                           ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log                                        
                          debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog                              
                          debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)                    
                          debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline                               
                          debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline                             
                          debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)                           
                          debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype                               
                          /etc/gdm/failsafeXServer: line 124: /var/log/gdm/failsafe.log: No such file or directory         
                          Warning: Cannot write to /var/log/gdm/failsafe.log                           
                          xinit /etc/gdm/failsafeXinit /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe -- /usr/bin/X -br -once -config /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe -logfile /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log
                          I haven't checked with bootchart, I'll look into it later.

Comment

OK, so I don't know if there has been any update targetting these, but I've been using my comp for 4 consecutive days without booting problems. So I guess it's solved right now.

Comment

Working...
                            X