This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic upgrade problem

I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 on my Toshiba laptop. Now the video is trash, totally unusable but the touchpad pointer works.

I rebooted on kernel 2.6.28.11 and the video display works fine but the touchpad pointer will not work.

I would appreciate help in getting a working system.

Re: Karmic upgrade problem

Originally posted by Zebadeous

I upgraded from 9.04 to 9.10 on my Toshiba laptop. Now the video is trash, totally unusable but the touchpad pointer works.

I rebooted on kernel 2.6.28.11 and the video display works fine but the touchpad pointer will not work.

I would appreciate help in getting a working system.
    Sounds like a hundred other people I have read lately. The main solution seems to be backup your home folder and install 9.10 from scratch. There are problems updating because the computer finds too many files with the same name and different versions or required files missing that have the same name as an old file and tries to use that making broken packages. I realize you mighy want to save some settings and there are ways to do that, but, if they are not compatible with your new kernel you will be compounding the problems.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Thanks for your comment Bob. However, I have the same problem when I boot from the CD.

Comment

were you using a speshal vid driver in 9.04 ...(IE: installed by you) if so it will nead reinsalled.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

if i remember correctly the upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 didn't work for a lot of people (myself included) fresh install is nice (since it was an excuse for me to convert my disks to ext4)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
            were you using a speshal vid driver in 9.04 ...(IE: installed by you) if so it will nead reinsalled.
            Thanks Vinny, but no special drivers. I can can boot on the 9.04 kernel and the graphics work ok (but not the touchpad).

Comment

Working...
            X