This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

super out did myself

Oh boy where to start. had issues with xp and flushed with reinstall . So then of course windows wipes out grub. after much effort with supergrub . I was able to boot into Kubuntu. the first time i ran supergrub right

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg it found windows made no grub file and then still only booted to win. I finally figured out how to use
    sudo grub-install
    hd0,4 is where kubuntu sits. I put in hd0,0 which hosed xp. then i put in hd0,4 and now linux boots every time . ask me to chose esc to view menu. when i do theres no xp options . I fixed the XP boot sector now i can boot into both.

The catch here is Grub doesn't see the Xp partition. as far as kubuntu and supergrub are concerned it seems to think grub is just fine.

the output i get never mentions XP
    it has every version of the kernel and the mem test but only if i hit esc.
    ooh around fiesty or gutsy i had to edit the grub file manually . Any ideas?

Re: super out did myself

Grub 2 is new, and there is not a lot of expertise anywhere (we all are trying to learn it). So, I think that means you are doomed to make a study of this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

and find the place to edit your menu to add Win, and then run the update to grub.cfg.

Comment

The only tools we are give are these:

> Boot into Kubuntu and try again:
      sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
      If that works, great.
      If not,
      > try a complete re-install of GRUB 2:
      sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
      where sdX = your first BIOS boot drive (e.g., sda, sdb, sdc).
      If that works, great.
      If not,
      > Make a special custom entry in grub. cfg, (e.g., 41_Windows custom entry).
      See the guide:
      GRUB 2: A Guide for Users
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
      The custom entry can look like this (remember, GRUB 2 counts partitions starting at 1):

# Windows XP on sda1 (= (hd0,1))
      menuentry “Windows XP on sda1, by chainloader” {
      set root=(hd0,1)
      chainloader +1
      }

As for seeing the boot menu upon boot-up, see Section 5 (Grub 2 Files & Options) of David's guide:
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
      (I'd read it for you, but it gives me a headache every time )

That's it. That's what we got.
      Let us know how this goes.

EDIT, added:

-- After making a special custom entry (a script file in /etc/grub.d), you must then run
      sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

-- If sudo grub-install should fail, always try again using --recheck.
      Example:
      sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sda
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

OT ... hey dibl, the word "doomed" appears to be correlated to links to my various how-to's! I calculated the linear correlation coefficient to be 0.975. That makes searching the forum for my stuff much easier: simply search on the word "doomed."

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

starwolf@Powertoynix:~/Documents$ sudo grub-install /dev/sda
          Searching for GRUB installation directory ... found: /boot/grub
          Installing GRUB to /dev/sda as (hd0)...
          Installation finished. No error reported.
          This is the contents of the device map /boot/grub/device.map.
          Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
          fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.

(fd0) /dev/fd0
          (hd0) /dev/sda
          starwolf@Powertoynix:~/Documents$ sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
          Generating grub.cfg ...
          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-12-generic
          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-12-generic
          Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-11-generic
          Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-11-generic
          Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
          Found Microsoft Windows XP Professional on /dev/sda1
          done
          let see if we find it now :--)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
            OT ... hey dibl, the word "doomed" appears to be correlated to links to my various how-to's! I calculated the linear correlation coefficient to be 0.975. That makes searching the forum for my stuff much easier: simply search on the word "doomed."

Like death and taxes, I think problems booting one's computer are pretty inevitable. Yes, I think we are all "doomed" to read your stuff, Qqmike, sooner or later!

Comment

Yeah, but where do _I_ go to read some stuff, too!? Where is that Manual written by the grub-dev insiders who really know how this works! When you think about it, that old GRUB Legacy Manual--which at times seems a bit slim--is actually quite a solid piece of work. At least, usually, it gives you the basics and a few clues to take it from where it leaves off. I've said it before, and it sure seems to be true: With GRUB 2, it's simple: grub-install and grub-mkconfig, editing contents of /etc/default/grub and /etc/grub.d, and it's all automatic for you. EXCEPT, we really rely on the reliability (not a redundancy, btw) of os-prober and those other two commands to work well as they should.

Comment

well for now looks like im stuck using supergrub to boot windows
                or default in to kubuntu bummer but its easier that losing 15 mere hours of good sleep lol

Comment

Hmmm .... Not sure here. Your setup is simple enough (one hard drive). I wonder if somehow that floppy drive is in the way and if Windows doesn't want to boot from the HD which is second in line (the first being the floppy). Maybe a better grub.cfg entry for Windows might work. I've seen one around--one that works but doesn't make sense. I'll try to find one. Of course, GRUB legacy would boot this PC, I think.

Comment

menuentry "Windows (on /dev/sda1)" {
                    insmod ntfs
                    set root=(hd0,1)
                    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 1eb0f35fb0f33c39
                    chainloader +1
                    }

There's one.
                    In place of 1eb0f35fb0f33c39, use your own Windows partition UUID.

You might try it as a "custom" entry (see my GUIDE about making such); and run sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                    after making the edit (to the files in /etc/grub.d).

Comment

tried i have 25-xp 41_XP 50xp all in same directory

its weird as i stated in kubuntu the congfig check sees xp just wont boot to it
                      theres a grub 2 option in my list its the only non kubuntu option. I can edit the grub it says. its weird that you have to use the esc key just to get the menu options. I have never seen rub act that way. is there a command form the grub menu i can drop to that would help on boot?

Comment

"ts weird as i stated in kubuntu the congfig check sees xp just wont boot to it "
                        That's what I was referring to above:

As for seeing the boot menu upon boot-up, see Section 5 (Grub 2 Files & Options) of David's guide:
                        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
                        (I'd read it for you, but it gives me a headache every time )

The GRUB 2 option you see -- that's the Chainload to GRUB 2, right? If so, you can select it and try it; it should work.

Comment

Working...
                        X