X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knoppix-like bootfrom ...

Hi

there is a start up option in knoppix, bootfrom=<disk_to_boot_from> (first you have to set up a partition/directory and you use go bootto=<disk_to_boot_from>), used to what it says which I love because it avoids the wear and noise from the DVD/CD player, in fact it frees it for whatever else you may need it

Last time I checked (k)ubuntu it needed a whole partition for itself instead just a directory (a bit like Windows assuming they are the only OS ;-))

I tried finding kubuntu's cheat codes to see if it has the functionality

Is it there?

Thank you
    lbrtchx

Re: knoppix-like bootfrom ...

I'm not sure exactly. I recall using boot "fromhd" (or something like that) once when setting Knoppix up on live flash drive.
    The closest thing I've come close to working with in Kubuntu would be "boot from iso."

See my how-to, in Reply #1 of this:
    GRUB 2: A Guide for Users
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
    Reply #1:
    Boot From ISO -- use of GRUB 2 loopback
    Boot your Kubuntu Live CD ISO from your flashdrive

and maybe these:

HOWTO: Booting LiveCD ISOs from USB flash drive with Grub2, by JustRon.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1288604

Booting LiveCD from HD ISO
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1295506

Boot an iso via Grub 2
    http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2009/0...iso-via-grub2/

MultiBoot USB with Grub2 (boot directly from iso files)
    http://www.panticz.de/MultiBootUSB
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

You want to set up a partition on a hard disk just to boot the Live CD faster? I don't think you'll gain anything aabove installing the system itself, after all you've gone to the hassle of creating a partition, why can't you create another one for swap and go ahead and install the OS?

If you want to boot and use regularly Linux without repartitioning, I see a few alternatives.

You can install Kubuntu on an existing Windows filesystem using Wubi. Wubi creates a huge file in your Windows file system that will be treated as your Linux disk when you boot Linux, but otherwise will not interfere with Windows in any way.

Warning, some features like suspend/resume/hibernate do not work. And the system will have a tad slower disk access times due to the double indirection. But otherwise it will behave like the real thing.

Or, if you're just looking for a faster boot, you could boot from a USB flash drive.

Comment

Well actually, I don't like the idea of totally relying on a regular installation, because you may have to work on a number of different computers. Most of which you don't own and their BIOS may not allow you to boot from USB pen drives at once and/or you couldn't change the boot sequence.

Most computers would however boot from a CD drive if they find an OS there. If this is possible I like to continue loading kubuntu or knoppix from a USB pen drive or the microdrive. It may take a few trials and guesses but it works

The safest I can assume is going with the fromhd (or ISO) option and all my stuff I reset from a microdrive

As you have explained to me you can do that with kubuntu to. I will try and post here my experience

Thank you
        lbrtchx

Comment

I don't think you can boot any *buntu directly from the ISO image. I'm aware of other Debians that are able to use a "fromiso" boot option, but I have not seen or heard that you can do that with *buntu.

However, if you can spare 1GB on the back end of a USB stick, keeping the rest of it for general data storage, then you can do this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107512.0

and have a bootable Kubuntu stick when you want it.

Comment

Albretch Mueller is right. It is often "the thing to do." And that may be why GRUB 2 accommodates "boot from iso."

Yes, you can boot K/Ubuntu from an iso file. The iso file can be on your hard drive or on flash drive. My how-to does it for flash drive. The links I posted show you other options, like from hard drive. A few details, but it is all there. If you read through the links, you'll come across various misc tips from readers' posts as well.

Albretch: please note that this is new, I'm new at GRUB 2, I only did the how-to I linked to (in reply #1 of my GRUB 2 Guide), and that's all I know about it so far. I took it far enough to see that it works. Fact is, the work you have to do to put the bootable iso on flash drive is about equal to what it takes to set it up as a live OS on flash drive. The work is in the linux statement--specifically the unusual kernel options. You get those kernel options by trial and error, by copying, borrowing, stealing, guessing, whatever it takes to make it go.

Good luck. If you care to report any feedback, I'm sure we would be interested, and it might inspire others to give the new GRUB 2 a spin with such.

Tech note: Some users have been booting K/Ubuntu from iso using only GRUB Legacy and some creative kernel statements (and kernel options). GRUB 2 makes it a bit easier. GRUB 2 is available through repos with 9.10 now.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

btw, when I said in my first post above "I'm not sure exactly," that was improperly worded. I meant I'm not sure exactly what Albretch is trying to do or looking for. I AM sure that you can boot K/Ubuntu from iso (especially easy using GRUB 2) as I have done it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Comment

Working...
              X