X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Deleted Bootmgr

Originally posted by Qqmike
    OMG, had I known this involved RAID, I would not have jumped in. I have no clue about RAID (other than its textbook definition), I've seen nothing good about it (except in server environments), and don't see why it is even needed for desktop PCs. However, it does have its advocates, notably, lately, this user case:
    RAID, Intel Matrix FakeRAID, installing with GRUB 2, user case (by abigsky, Reply #9):
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg201558
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...7472#msg207472
    hi, mike;

I would agree with you, perhaps if none of us post anything on this topic, who else is gonna do?

Hope you enjoy your time !
    Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

Hello,

Well Qqmike thanks anyhow. Although I have no solution yet I wanna thank you for your support and your clear remarks and your patience. About a year ago you also were a great help !! Thanks.

Tawee, I do not understand why you chimed in, in this thread. There was no constructive contribution from your side. Only remarks that were not true or off topic or not direct towards me (or a solution for me). When I directly asked you a question you did not even answer. So do not bother the next time.

If I'll find a solution I will let you know Qqmike. I'll start reading the links in your previous reply soon. I'll also have to try understand RAID and the need for it.

Remmelt

Comment

Originally posted by Remmelt

Tawee, I do not understand why you chimed in, in this thread. There was no constructive contribution from your side. Only remarks that were not true or off topic or not direct towards me (or a solution for me). When I directly asked you a question you did not even answer. So do not bother the next time.

I think any people can get into any thread, perhaps to post any thing that may be useful to other ones, not only for any specific one . When one could not explain the problem clearly whether he did know what he had done or not, thanks to active members who want to help solve problems. Whilst, some one still stuck to the same problem forever. I would still be around..... to see the result and post any comments when necessary.
        Linux tawee2009 2.6.31-14-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16 14:04:26 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux - Desktop@Office<br /><br />Acer Aspire 3810TZ : Dual Boots : Vista/Kubuntu9.10

Comment

Tawee,

My final remark to you: If I was not clear than you should have said that. But, again, your reply is vague and again is not a clear or usefull reply to my remarkt. But please do not bother. I rest my case.........

Remmelt

Comment

This may help clarify your situation:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106012.0

Comment

Thanks dibl There's something tangible and constructive.
              Remmelt: that bug report shows how slow GRUB 2 can be on re-booting a multidisk/multiboot PC. How much more so with RAID? and that is the question.

Still following this with you. Gonna have a look at dibl's link now.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I remember I used to register to LVM newsgroup of Redhat (but now quit, never make use of it) but I don't know whether Ubuntu has these similar features or not.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ware-raid.html

Comment

Hi,

Looks like I need to reconfigure my hard-drives and throw out the RAID stuff. That means, I presume, that I need to go back to the slave and master principle ?

Gosh, what have I done

Remmelt

Comment

You could set up a software RAID in Linux, if you really want it. But I'd research it carefully -- everything I've seen on the topic says (a) it won't improve average disk I/O performance, if that's what you're after, and (b) with multiple drives on your system, there are other ways to ensure data security if it's just a personal computer (not a server).

If you're after maximum performance in a RAID configuration, I believe you need true hardware RAID, such as with a 3Ware controller, where there's a Linux driver available.

Personally, I choose to pay a bit more for the faster SATA hard drive models (WD Raptor) and get the performance that way.

I don't think "master" and "slave" are applicable to the SATA world -- the SATA controller chip figures that out for you, and your BIOS lets you set the boot sequence.

Comment

yes, what dibl said;
                      and, remember, worst case is that you may have to reset which drive boots first (in BIOS) if that GRUB 2 bug causes boot times too slow to accept (and it may not come into play for you); "they" are supposed to be applying a fix to the bug any day now;

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Woooooooops

Just found out that my 2 drives are not setup as a RAID. I confused a SATA card for that.

Sorry, sorry.

So, back to square one

Remmelt

Comment

Hi again,

I managed to get rid of the long booting time (about 30 minutes !!). Cause I was thinking about my RAID stuff (which I do not have ) I went into BIOS. In BIOS you can switch the onboard ATA/RAID control on or off. I now switched if off and that did the trick for me.

So first problem solved.

Remmelt

Comment

Whew ... good! Even with the dual boot and our new friend GRUB 2, the boot time is good now, huh? If so, that's great.

Comment

Hi Qqmike,

The booting time is back to normal now. However I am still not able to install Windows.

But to celebrate I installed the KDE desktop and I love it.

Bye,

Remmelt

Comment

Working...
                              X