This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] can't start kde

I upgraded from Jaunty Jackalope to Karmic Koala via the prompt from adept.
    All seemed to go well, but when i boot i get an Ubuntu login, which leads to a counsole screen.

if i type > xterm& I get: $DISPLAY not found
    if i type > startkde I get: $DISPLAY not set or cannot connect to X server
    if i type > startx: I get: No devices detected
    and no screens found

I tried a bunch of stuff like installing xinit again and purging and reconfiguring xorg.

I notice that in /etc/X11 there is a file xorg.conf.dist-upgrade-200911111819
    in addition to xorg.conf. Is this a problem?

any ideas? thanks! I am totally stuck

Re: can't start kde

Had the same issue. I tried configuring startx to handle it instead of kdm, and got an error referencing the nvidia module (for my graphics card... if that isn't obvious. Of course, my fakeraid is also nvidia, so i was just spelling it out). After the apt-get for my nvidia drivers, kdm started right up, ^_^. Try it, man... depending on what gfx card you have... please let me know if it works, or throw the error message at me if you try using startx. (if you don't know, it should work out of box, if it doesn't try update-alternatives --config x-session-manager, and select the startkde entry, kk?)

Comment

At your login screen in the bottom left corner there should be a button for selecting desktops. Choose KDE, then, login.
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Well, the issue I had was that there wasn't even an actual login splash, it booted into console only, although it said kdm was running.
        (Oh, and again, if it isn't obvious, and you have this issue, make sure you run modprobe nvidia after getting the drivers, >_<... i just wasn't sure I'd have to mention that part. Sorry.)

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragn
          Well, the issue I had was that there wasn't even an actual login splash, it booted into console only, although it said kdm was running.
          (Oh, and again, if it isn't obvious, and you have this issue, make sure you run modprobe nvidia after getting the drivers, >_<... i just wasn't sure I'd have to mention that part. Sorry.)
          Might try this URL in Forum: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107577.0
          Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

OK, got it, not exactly sure how, but it is fixed. Got the tip from:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forum/index...3202#msg203202

I did "sudo apt-get install envyng-core" then started envy in text mode "sudo envyng -t" as recomended. Seems envyng is a tool that gets the correct GPU drivers after examining your system. Since I don't have a video card, just using the onboard video from my ASUS M3N78 PRO Motherboard, and since the blue Kubuntu logo with the progress bar appeared before I got thrown into a text only console screen (no mouse of course), i didn't see how i could have an NVIDIA driver problem.

BUT, envyng came up, i started X, it said i had kdm running, i then reran envyng and checked "Install NVIDIA Drivers", and it came up with a dialog box saying one driver was compatible and recommended. So i installed it, then restarted and presto. KDE desktop appeared

Plus it gave me a NVIDIA control ap which was easy to use to set the resolution. Great, cuz with 9.04 I was having screen resolution problems.

Checked my motherboard manual and indeed the onboard GPU is NVIDIA series 8. Ha. Thanks everybody, a nice solution, Silly

Comment

Working...
            X