X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer takes longer to remove unnecessary packages than to install them

Hi

I've just installed 9.10 Karmic from the Kubuntu DVD (kubuntu-9.10-dvd-amd64.iso).

According to syslog, I finished configuring stuff and the install started at 10:00. All files were copied and everything set up (user account, security updates etc) by 10:10 -- impressively fast!

However, at 10:10 the installer started removing packages -- mostly language packs and fonts -- and this continued until 10:33!

Has anyone else had this problem? It's a little annoying as it seems so pointless. Now, no language packs are installed (not even British English, which I "need")

/var/log/installer/syslog (bzipped).

Re: Installer takes longer to remove unnecessary packages than to install them

It is not a "problem", I think that's the way the installation process is designed and I've watching that happening for the last 4 year worth of upgrades.

I'm not sure, but looks like the way it works is that you actually get all the necessary language support installed no matter which one you select and what is removed at the end is those different from your default appearing as listed in the regional settings. To confirm this theory, does anyone know what happens when say, a German user tries to open a Greek OpenOffice document? If you don't have the Greek fonts, etc, you're not able to view the document. Not sure, never tried.

Comment

Working...
    X