X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ RESOLVED ] Distribution Upgrade v9.10 - Endless Sleep Mode

Greetings Kubuntu-ers,

I have a situation here that may just be a prime candidate for the "OH CRAP!!" record book.

A couple days ago I ran the v9.10 upgrade on a desktop PC. Process went virtually flawless. There was a minor problem with the, hang on while I switch over to get info from that PC... It was the Akonadi server not setting up correctly, if I remember right. The PC is running just fine now.

Yesterday I decided to upgrade my laptop as well. Some specs:
    Toshiba Satellite A130/A135 Series
    Intel CPU: T2080 @ 1.73GHz
    RAM: 512MB

I plugged the laptop into my wireless router vs. trying to do the upgrade through wireless. I was upgrading from v9.04 Kubuntu. I started the process. It went through the upgrade preparation and software channel setting. Then, it started the new package download.

I started the upgrade about 5pm CST yesterday, 11/7. It is now 8:15am CST, 11/8. The download has been sitting at 99% complete since just after 5pm yesterday. I started checking the situation and found that Karmic is in sleep mode, and has been for some 14 hours. Ksysguard is telling me that Karmic is "... waiting for something to happen."

I decided to try to quit the upgrade and got a message that doing so could cause the system to become unstable. I decided not to do that, hoping that over night, something would happen to wake Karmic up. But, that was not to be.

I have complete access to the laptop, obviously. I have come to the conclusion that my only option would be to download v9.10 and burn the ISO to CD and reinstall Kubuntu on the laptop. I don't have anything (data wise) on the laptop that would be of any great loss to me.

If someone knows of a way for me to wake Karmic from its slumber, I would so appreciate knowing the procedure. If not, is the "re-install" going to be my only option?

Any info would be appreciated!

Snoozing in the Mid West, U.S.!

Rick
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Re: [ RESOLVED ] Distribution Upgrade v9.10 - Endless Sleep Mode

Greetings again,

Since it has been over 6 hours without a single reply to my quest here, I took the initiative. I downloaded v9.10, burned the ISO and had it at the ready, just in case.

I quit Karmic and attempted to use KPackageKit to restart the upgrade. It continued to error out on me. The moment of truth came. I rebooted the laptop, hoping that I would see the icon once again and start the upgrade that way. Lo and behold, the laptop booted without a hitch, the icon appeared on my task bar and the laptop is being upgraded to v9.10 as I type. It is 28% complete.

Thank you all for your attention to this situation. It has now been resolved, by me. If I should have any future problems / questions about Kubuntu, I hope to have as much attention in the future as I have had today.

Once again, thank you all!!!

No longer snoozing in the Mid West, U.S.!

Rick

P.S. Isn't this forum monitored at all?
    "Without rules, there would be chaos and with chaos, there would be no peace." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by rick001
      P.S. Isn't this forum monitored at all?
      Extensively. That you didn't get any replies 'today' should not be seen as lack of monitoring or interest. Just look at the total number of posts in this board - 893 so far -, as well as the other sub-boards in 9.10 Karmic Koala and you'll see just how active they are.

I'm glad that you resolved your problem. Isn't that what really counts anyway?
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        -[ snip ]-
        Extensively. That you didn't get any replies 'today' should not be seen as lack of monitoring or interest. Just look at the total number of posts in this board - 893 so far -, as well as the other sub-boards in 9.10 Karmic Koala and you'll see just how active they are.

I'm glad that you resolved your problem. Isn't that what really counts anyway?
        Greetings Snowhog,

Thanks for the reply!

The laptop is now booted into v9.10 Karmic. So far, everything looks okay. I still need to deal with the wireless, it's still wired to my router.

By the way, I like your forum software. I, too, use SMF, for my fan club chapter communications.

Thanks again...

Rick

Comment

I still need to deal with the wireless, it's still wired to my router.
          What wireless card/chip do you have in your PC? Is your router a wireless router? Was you wireless connection working before upgrading to Karmic?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            What wireless card/chip do you have in your PC? Is your router a wireless router? Was you wireless connection working before upgrading to Karmic?
            Greetings Snowhog,

Oh, I don't have an issue with getting the wireless running. I apologize if I gave the impression there was a problem. The laptop is running just fine on wireless after the Karmic upgrade.

The laptop has a built in adapter, I forget the manufacturer off hand. That adapter has always been flaky from the start, even when I had Windoze Vista on the laptop. I have a USB adapter I use, a D-Link. It has always done me good. It's an 802.11n and works with b and g networks too.

My wireless router is a Netgear Super-G router with 4 LAN ports. I have it hardwired to a D-Link wired router in a different location in the house. I have a WinXP PC and a Linux PC wired to the Netgear, using a KVM switch between the 2. The laptop sits comfortably in the kitchen.

I do have one minor issue with Karmic, however. I lost sound on both the PC and the laptop. After some tinkering, the other day, I did get sound for a while on the PC, but it's gone again and I cannot remember the steps I took to get the sound back. It's no real big deal, just bums me out that Karmic changed things that don't work as before. And Snowhog, here's a kicker! I lost sound on my WinXP PC the other day too! Go figure.

Anyway, other than the lack of sound, I have now issues with the upgrades at the moment. Thanks for asking though.

Kubuntu-ing x2 in the Mid West, U.S.!

Rick

Comment

Working...
            X