X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now my DELL laptop boots into GRUB menu

Hi guys!
    I clean installed Kubuntu 9.10 into my Dell laptop for two weeks ago, using Virtual CloneDrive so that I didn't have to burn any CD or use usb memory stick. I usually do dual booting Windows Vista/Kubuntu. All went well until now. I applied some bug-fix updates last night before I switched off the computer, and this morning after I selected Kubuntu during the booting, the computer boots into GRUB 1.97~beta4 menu. I have no idea about how to continue.

I will appreciate some help. I am new to linux/Kubuntu.

Re: Now my DELL laptop boots into GRUB menu

Your options:

Burn a Super Grub Disk live CD.
    Use it to boot into your Kubuntu.
    Open Konsole.
    sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/menu.lst

SGD download (CDROM):
    http://www.supergrubdisk.org/index.php?pid=5

Re-boot and see if that fixes your boot menu.

And/or, re-install GRUB 2.
    Two choices:
    Boot into Kubuntu using SGD live CD and issue at Konsole
    sudo grub-install
    Or,
    use a live Kubuntu CD to re-install GRUB 2
    using this how-to, SECTION 3 Fixing Things:
    GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

(GRUB 1.97~beta4 => you are using "GRUB 2")
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi!
      I followed the instructions. I downloaded and burned super_grub_disk_0.9799.iso, from Mirror #0, but it didn't work. So I downloaded sgd_0.9662.iso from Mirror #1 and got the same thing. There is a lot of software there about sgd. That is why I chose randomly.
      Here is how I did and what I got:
      Boot with the SGD cd and then choose GRUB => MBR & !LINUX! (1) AUTO ;-)
      Hit <enter> button
      I see this on the screen:

Booting 'GRUB => MBR & !LINUX! (1) AUTO ;-)'
      findf /grub/stage1 /boot/grub/stage1
      Error 15: File not found
      Press any key to continue ..._

I get the same error whether I use super_grub_disk_0.9799 or
      sgd_0.9662 cd to boot the system.

I press any key and the computer starts again so that I have the possibility to
      choose between Windows and Kubuntu. If I choose Kubuntu, I find myself in
      grub menu again, sh:grub> _

I appreciate your help.

Comment

You might try GNU/LINUX > Fix MBR (or Fix GRUB). It will re-install the old GRUB Legacy and boot you into Kubuntu (or, it should; it did for me).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I tried
          GNU/LINUX then
          FIX BOOT OF LINUX (GRUB)

and either I get the same error (error 15 or the computer start immediately into Windows/Kubuntu choice.

Comment

I'm not in a position right now to check it, but SGD has an option for installing GRUB into the PC, from scratch, into the Kubuntu partition and into the MBR. I'm pretty sure it was Fix Boot ? (I had this same problem not too long ago, and SGD fixed it, re-installing the old GRUB so I could get into Kubuntu and re-install the new GRUB 2.) SGD has instructions up front. Error 15 indicates that, well, a file is not there! Something is seriously damaged. More troubling is that you tried from a live CD to re-install GRUB 2 and that did not fix it for you--THAT is disconcerting. That's all the ideas I have on this, sorry. Basically, you have to find a way to re-install the bootloader.

Comment

"...or the computer start immediately into Windows/Kubuntu choice."

Maybe that indicates that SGD fixed it? Once in Kubuntu, you can then use the GRUB 2 methods (in my Guide) to fix anything.

Comment

Is there a possibility to find (download) grub2.iso so that man can burn it into a cd and use this cd in order to boot the Kubuntu. I do not know if this way can help.

Comment

Working...
                X