X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another failed live upgrade attempt from 9.04

Hi,

Just wanted to add my report of yet another unfortunate experience with 9.04->9.10 network upgrade on a live system. Similar to what others posted here, my system also ended up with the upgrade manager GUI hung and completely unresponsive somewhere 10% into installation of the downloaded packages. After killing its window I was able to sort of force through manual upgrade with several repeated cycles of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' followed by 'dpkg --configure -a' in a console, however, the result was less than satisfactory. I had all sorts of weird problems with that system, so I decided to back up my home directory and reinstall from scratch. Which went perfectly smooth and the Karmic install I am now enjoying looks rather impressive. However, for the sake of others considering upgrade I should say:

UPGRADE TO KARMIC IS UNRELIABLE AND LIKELY TO FAIL!

Stay away from it unless you know what you are doing and are able to fix things that might break apart in the process. At least do not forget to back up all your personal data before proceeding with it. Along with any important settings you might want to save for later perusal, e.g. your /etc directory...

Hope this helps

Re: Another failed live upgrade attempt from 9.04

Originally posted by bamyasi
    Hi,

Just wanted to add my report of yet another unfortunate experience with 9.04->9.10 network upgrade on a live system. Similar to what others posted here, my system also ended up with the upgrade manager GUI hung and completely unresponsive somewhere 10% into installation of the downloaded packages. After killing its window I was able to sort of force through manual upgrade with several repeated cycles of 'apt-get dist-upgrade' followed by 'dpkg --configure -a' in a console, however, the result was less than satisfactory. I had all sorts of weird problems with that system, so I decided to back up my home directory and reinstall from scratch. Which went perfectly smooth and the Karmic install I am now enjoying looks rather impressive. However, for the sake of others considering upgrade I should say:

Stay away from it unless you know what you are doing and are able to fix things that might break apart in the process. At least do not forget to back up all your personal data before proceeding with it. Along with any important settings you might want to save for later perusal, e.g. your /etc directory...

Hope this helps
    Unfortunately you did not learn from other's mistakes. "Similar to what others posted here" tells the story. Nearly every forum I am on including Fedora, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, to name a few, have the same problems. Look before you leap. Had you backed up your home folder and done a full install of 9.10 you would not have the problems. It is nice to let people learn from your mistakes, but, better to tell them how to get past them. Watch the forums and help other people out, that's what it is here for. I apologize if this is not what you wanted to hear.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Hi,
      <snip>
      for the sake of others considering upgrade I should say:

You missed an important few words: For some.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
        Hi,
        <snip>
        for the sake of others considering upgrade I should say:

You missed an important few words: For some.
        --------yesss for some ..........I to have seen a lot of post's conserning upgrade failyear's ..........but this is a suport forum so that's what your going to see .......NOT 200 posts saying--- Hay just wanted to post my upgrade wint fine ----- just about ALL we see hear ar the problems not the satisfied people!!

but just so you know my upgrade frome 9.04 to 9.10 whint perfect.......... I know thats no help sorey hope you had eneything importent backed up

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
        X