This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Live CD 9.10

Is it possible to install Kubuntu 9.10 using a live CD (with Kubuntu 9.04 already installed) and for the installation to wipe out 9.04 and install 9.10 freshly clean? Just curious. Thanks.
    The cyber-world is a whole different world indeed.

Re: Live CD 9.10

Sure, why not? However, your user account will be wiped out, unless you have it in a separate partition (which I personally think is a vastly superior way to run things). That's simply normal for a clean install, when the system files and user account files are kept on the same partition. You can set up a two partition system (three, actually, as you should put a swap partition in front of everything, then have your OS partition, then your user account partition) using GParted (available in the packages if you don't already have it).

You might want simply to try the "network upgrade" (what you get when you fire up K-Menu > system settings > add/remove software > software updates, and are offered an OS update and take the offer). It takes some real time to download all the stuff needed, but little effort, as your computer will manage the whole process.

This option failed on my desktop (what I got was a boot to a terminal, which I couldn't see how to get out of), so I simply did a fresh install, and got things working fast. However, on my netbook, this option worked just fine, with the result that I did NOT have to reinstall my application programs, etc. (which generally are installed in the OS system files partition on two partition setups, which I have on both my computers). On my desktop I did have to install this stuff (and I have a fair amount of it - but with carefully kept notes it's not a huge job to do this).

Here's a great general resource re: Karmic upgrades -
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ka...grades/Kubuntu

Hope this helps clarify your options.

Comment

Ah yes, I remember reading about your situation. I'm glad it all worked out (more or less, but solved hehe). Thank you for your answer. And now that we're at it, I'd like to ask another question: a pal of mine installed Kubuntu 9.04 and it always boots up on a textual-interface, and can't seem to fix it (go to http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106988.0 to learn more). That's why I asked about using a live CD to install.

However, I believe it's more than possible to access files and programs on command line. So how do I achieve all of the things you mentioned (accessing upgrade, connecting to internet wirelessly etc) with command line? Thanks in advance!

Comment

Simple. You become a command-line-whiz (CLW). Aren't you glad you asked? (And you're really asking the wrong person, as a CLW I am NOT.)

GUIs were invented to make things happen easier, with fewer errors, and less learning. Working solely on the command line interface (CLI), while very powerful (and fun, *I* think), will quickly make you appreciate this statement.

What must be done is for one to learn the needed CLI commands. You can get virtually anything you need from some clever Googling.

* For example, I regularly install upgrades to my OS, given that the system tray upgrade notifier widget is telling to do so, not by using the widget, but by entering
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        at the CLI. I get better results, quicker, plus a lot of mind-numbing detail. Just personal experience, and preference.

* See http://www.codecoffee.com/tipsforlinux/index-linux.html for quick entry into a lot of interesting CLI stuff (but keep reading...there's more below).

If you approach the matter thoughtfully, you probably won't do yourself any damage working for a while on the command line, but you will do well to take careful notes, and cut and paste some examples of your adventures into some document for later consultation. I keep a non-trivial number of note-collections on various things, including Linux, Kubutu, and associated CLI commands, along with notes about installation and upgrade, etc. I learn something, I write it down. Life is busy. I'm not going to remember in a month.

So, aside from Google (where you'll find a ton of helpful people, blogs, website, etc.), here are some dandy resources I've found:

1. You might want to quickly cruise through https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/index.html - especially "Advanced Topics" - https://help.ubuntu.com/9.10/advance...s/C/index.html

2. Fire up your favorite package manager (I like Synaptic), and from it install package "bash-doc". Mine gets installed in /usr/share/doc/bash/. The material in this concerns more than mere CLI commands. It'll get you into some command scripting, which can be very useful and fun and educational.

There are a number of things to explore here, including -

* /usr/share/doc/bash/README.abs-guide <== load this into a text editor; the referenced tutorial may interest you.

* In this same /usr/share/doc/bash dir are some compressed files which appear to contain some useful reference material. Try this:
        Code:
        sudo ark file:///usr/share/doc/bash/README.commands.gz
        - This will allow you to uncompress this README file, which begins:
        Code:
          This is a jumping-off reference point for new users who may be
          completely unfamiliar with Linux commands. It does not contain all
          the information you need about using the Linux console, but instead
          just gives you enough information to get started finding the
          information you need.
        - promising, yes? I plan to spend a little time with this myself, right now.

* There are other *.gz files in this same dir which appear to merit similar exploration.

* See also the /examples folder, where there is much to learn.

So, while I'm not knowledgeable enough to have specific answers for you, I do have a pretty good idea where they may be found.

I hope this is helpful. Best of luck on your adventure.

t.

Comment

Yes. I am very thankful for all your help and wisdom. And best of luck to you as well! Thanks again : )

Comment

Originally posted by Daisuke
            Yes. I am very thankful for all your help and wisdom. And best of luck to you as well! Thanks again : )
            Wisdom? Me? About Linux?

Stay away from airports, folks, 'cause there's pigs on the wing for sure, now!

(But, thanks anyway. Made my day!_

t.

Comment

Working...
            X