This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is different about grub?

When I setup someones computer to try Linux I normally dual boot using windows boot manager as windows has to be reinstalled so much it is easier to do that so I don't have to play around changing the boot loader back to linux each time as windows seems to think it is the only one. Now this always worked before but I can't get it to work with 9.10 by putting grub on the root partition.
    This works with my Linux setup using the original grub by chainloading (?) the beginning of the partition and installing grub in the root partition of each other Linux. I have 8.04 9.04 and 9.10 all booting from the 8.04 grub.
    I read about installing the original grub back in but how do you do that when it won't boot?

Re: What is different about grub?

Originally posted by nevillef

I read about installing the original grub back in but how do you do that when it won't boot?
    If you boot a Live CD (*buntu or otherwise), and assuming an internet connection, you should be able to first "apt-get update && apt-get install grub", which will install legacy grub in your running Live CD session, and then use grub to get the grub prompt, verify the geometry of your hard disk drive, and run grub setup on the partition where you want it.

More: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

Comment

Working...
    X