Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[SOLVED] 9.04 -> 9.10, KDESudo Segfault during install...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] 9.04 -> 9.10, KDESudo Segfault during install...

EDIT: did the full non-distribution update as described below and then the dist upgrade and it went smoothly. Thanks for the help.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hiya -

Going from 9.04 (with KDE 4.3.1) to 9.10. Allowed update notifier to download all packages, install began. After a good chunk into it, error message pops up saying that KDESudo died with a segmentation fault. Install window dead, system otherwise was still responsive.

I restored my / drive from a partimage backup, so i'm alive and well, and going to try again, but wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. (I didn't even bother trying to boot it, etc.)

The last part of /var/log/dist-upgrade/main.log is included here. (Before restoring the partition, I copied out the entire /var/log directory to another partition, so if you want any other logs from post-crash, let me know.)

Also potentially relevant: before 9.10 hit the repositories, i was being prompted for a lot of upgrades (to KDE and other packages) that i had been putting off. I did not do those updates first, instead choosing the distribution upgrade (hoping to skip over it all). Perhaps I should?

Also, the first time I tried to upgrade, it I didn't have enough free space on /. Needed an addition 161MB. I freed some up:

$ df -h /
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda3 9.9G 7.3G 2.1G 79% /

...but some of the log lines before the crash look (to my totally ignorant eyes) like they might be relating to free space. However, adding the "required" numbers in the log results in a total significantly less than the free space.

Note also that the file referred to as missing (IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py') does exist (as a symlink, but file is readable), at least before the upgrade.

I'll be starting the downloads again, and I'll check here before doing the upgrade just to see if anyone has any quick ideas.

Thanks so much for any theories!

-c

The log fragments, as promised:

--------------------------------

The end of term.log refers to /etc/mime.types a couple times, which is where the updater stopped when the error appeared (I don't recall modifying it):

Unpacking replacement libsensors3 ...
    Preparing to replace libsnmp15 5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu3 (using .../libsnmp15_5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libsnmp15 ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up mime-support (3.46-1ubuntu1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/mime.types'
    ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
    ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : background this process to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** mime.types (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ? 9-23ubuntu7 (using .../libsane_1.0.20-4ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libsane ...
    Preparing to replace libsnmp-base 5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu3 (using .../libsnmp-base_5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu7_all.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libsnmp-base ...
    Preparing to replace libsensors3 1:2.10.7-1 (using .../libsensors3_1%3a2.10.8-1_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libsensors3 ...
    Preparing to replace libsnmp15 5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu3 (using .../libsnmp15_5.4.1~dfsg-12ubuntu7_i386.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement libsnmp15 ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up mime-support (3.46-1ubuntu1) ...

Configuration file `/etc/mime.types'
    ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation.
    ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version.
    What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
    Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
    N or O : keep your currently-installed version
    D : show the differences between the versions
    Z : background this process to examine the situation
    The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** mime.types (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?

[file ends here]
    ------------------------------

The end of main.log:

up-tasks sysklogd mysql-server-core-5.0 libgpod4-nogtk
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,875 DEBUG Install: liblzma0 linux-headers-2.6.31-14 liblash2 geoip-database libqscintilla2-5 dmraid libk3b6 libkrb5support0 libxcb-event1 libgnuinet-java libmagickwand2 libqt4-phonon xorg-docs-core cvs amarok-utils libkrb5-3 plasma-widget-googlecalendar libparted1.8-12 libpolkit-gobject-1-0 python-wadllib libgssapi-krb5-2 ttf-vlgothic libraw1394-11 modemmanager apturl-kde apport-symptoms gnome-doc-utils libcompress-raw-bzip2-perl plasma-widget-networkmanagement ogmrip-mpeg libcupsdriver1 usb-creator-common linux-headers-2.6.31-14-generic libglew1.5 ca-certificates-java libx264-67 libgcj-bc libisccfg50 libgcj10 libitext-java-gcj libmldbm-perl plasma-widget-kubuntu-qa-feedback rhino ibus-qt4 libepub0 libbcmail-java liboggz1 os-prober libbcmail-java-gcj openjdk-6-jre-lib libk5crypto3 libaudid3tag2 policykit-1-gnome libbcprov-java libicu40 libuuid-perl doc-base konq-plugins python-httplib2 vlc-plugin-pulse libqtscript4-network userconfig python-lazr-restfulclient bcmwl-modaliases libjline-java libindicate-qt0 liblastfm0 libaudcore1 libavahi-core6 network-manager liblwres50 icedtea-6-jre-cacao libxcb-atom1 libaccess-bridge-java-jni libvlccore2 ogmrip-dirac openjdk-6-jre-headless libpango-perl policykit-1 libqtscript4-xml libxcb-aux0 libdatrie1 oggz-tools libdrm-radeon1 libboost-regex1.38.0 libgnumail-java usb-creator-kde plasma-widget-kimpanel kipi-plugins gcj-4.4-jre-lib libass3 libindicate3 libdirac0c2a libaccess-bridge-java kubuntu-firefox-installer ogmrip-profiles libatasmart4 gcc-4.4 tcl8.4 libprojectm2 libwvstreams4.6-extras kppp libsgutils2-2 plasma-widget-indicatordisplay libc-dev-bin libfreezethaw-perl ttf-wqy-zenhei ogmrip-ac3 libdirectfb-1.2-0 devicekit-disks apport-kde gcc-4.4-base kwin-style-qtcurve libscim8c2a linux-source-2.6.31 kcm-gtk install-info libgpod4 libqtscript4-gui python-pkg-resources cpp-4.4 kerneloops-daemon konqueror-plugins libgnujaf-java java-common libmagickcore2 xsltproc python-simplejson aften libjpeg-progs nvidia-185-modaliases libffado1 python-oauth libgpac0.4.5 gcj-4.4-base libdvbpsi5 konq-plugins-l10n ttf-kacst libsox1a openjdk-6-jre libisccc50 libtag-extras1 plasma-widget-facebook libgdu0 libqtscript4-uitools libdns50 libcompress-bzip2-perl libqtscript4-sql ogmrip-oggz libgudev-1.0-0 libjs-jquery libnm-glib2 libntfs-3g54 cups-ppdc libogmrip1 libio-compress-perl libisc50 python-launchpadlib libtidy-0.99-0 librarian0 libuniconf4.6 system-config-printer-udev libwxbase2.8-0 libdmraid1.0.0.rc15 python-urwid libitext-java libopenjpeg2 libreadline6 apturl-common libmysqlclient16 python-lazr-uri mplayer-nogui insserv tzdata-java twolame libbind9-50 mountall libwvstreams4.6-base openoffice.org-style-oxygen timidity-daemon libsad2 ghostscript-cups libc-bin libpolkit-backend-1-0 rsyslog libqtscript4-core libbsd0 libeggdbus-1-0 libcupscgi1 default-jre mysql-server-core-5.1 libaudclient2 libeina-svn-03 sreadahead libpoppler5 libtag1-vanilla libwxgtk2.8-0 ogmrip-video-copy default-jre-headless tk8.4 tsconf libaudutil1 libpolkit-agent-1-0 libboost-program-options1.38.0 libsub-name-perl libcupsmime1 yelp byobu samba-common-bin libcupsppdc1 kpartx libprojectm-data linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic libksane0
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,875 DEBUG Upgrade: bluez-gnome libqt4-scripttools bluez-gstreamer libnspr4-dev gpac kdelibs5-data mtools libbz2-1.0 libpostproc51 libsane libarchive1 python-twisted-web audacious-plugins-extra splix krdc hal esound-common libdca0 kwalletmanager wvdial xfonts-base python2.5-minimal libqt4-sql libqt4-help konqueror-nsplugins libapm1 python-packagekit xserver-xorg-video-rendition logrotate base-files libexpat1 libglu1-mesa xserver-xorg-video-vesa libgtk2.0-bin libid3-3.8.3c2a xserver-xorg-video-sis gparted grub udev python-launchpad-bugs liblrdf0 kdemultimedia-kio-plugins kdenetwork-dbg libclass-accessor-perl libc6-dev libuuid1 libgksu2-0 wpasupplicant blender python-xapian libstartup-notification0 libdevmapper1.02.1 genisoimage libss2 libgnomecanvas2-0 libgmp3c2 jackd xsane-common x11-session-utils libiec61883-0 mawk libqt4-sql-sqlite libofa0 python-gtk2 libpolkit2 libsasl2-2 login libpangomm-1.4-1 libqt4-script libgcrypt11 kmag libkdepim4 libatk1.0-0 bzip2 xfonts-75dpi ltrace hplip-data libqt4-test xserver-xorg-video-i740 qt4-qtconfig libfftw3-3 libpcsclite1 libpci3 libdbi-perl launchpad-integration python-kde4 libdjvulibre21 gvfs-backends language-selector-qt libxres1 libakonadiprivate1 libnotify1 kmplayer-base firefox-3.0-branding brltty libvisual-0.4-0 libdrm-intel1 hicolor-icon-theme esound-clients libxrender1 kdepim-runtime-data fglrx-modaliases libice6 libperl5.10 libsqlite3-0 python-vte emacs22-common liblircclient0 ogmrip xserver-xorg locales libcups2 libbinio1ldbl tzdata libloudmouth1-0 xserver-xorg-video-neomagic libhyphen0 grep libnss3-dev kdepim-wizards libeet1 python-usb libxine1-ffmpeg libxplc0.3.13 libgeoip1 libgnome2-0 lockfile-progs libnm-util1 libwnck22 phonon kubuntu-konqueror-shortcuts plasma-scriptengines libwnck-common libgphoto2-2 libqzion0 python-twisted-lore bluetooth libwxbase2.6-0 ruby1.8 libkcddb4 bluez-utils wireless-crda kubuntu-default-settings libgl1-mesa-glx exiv2 openssh-server kdepim-runtime-libs4 python-gtkhtml2 ttf-dejavu-extra xserver-xorg-video-geode plasma-dataengines-workspace wodim python-qt4-dbus python-twisted-words e2fslibs xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion foomatic-filters libqt4-qt3support libaudiofile0 kdebase-bin libgtk2-perl ifupdown hpijs libdb4.7 python-twisted libbrlapi0.5 xserver-xorg-video-trident sitecopy xserver-xorg-video-intel grub-common reiserfsprogs libmng1 xdg-user-dirs libncurses5 libkwineffects1 procps python-central libsoup2.4-1 librsvg2-common gettext-base python2.6-minimal notification-daemon perl-modules libdbus-qt-1-1c2 hostname update-motd python-gdbm libapparmor1 passwd apt-xapian-index update-manager-kde libqt4-network coreutils ardour libgsf-1-114 ca-certificates iputils-tracepath libsmokeqt4-2 gconf2-common libvte-common libxml2-utils python-sip4 xserver-xorg-video-apm libxi6 thunderbird libglib-perl bsdmainutils libpam-modules mplayer-skins libjasper1 libjpeg62 libpackagekit-glib11 libv4l-0 libaspell15 xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse kamera dolphin libio-compress-base-perl kdebase-runtime-dbg libsdl-image1.2 mysql-common python-glade2 libopenal1 finger cups-driver-gutenprint x11-apps python-apport packagekit-backend-apt libpcre3 dictionaries-common imagemagick-doc iso-codes libquicktime1 gettext libkexiv2-7 liblua5.1-0 xserver-xorg-video-savage flac xserver-xorg-input-evdev mysql-client-5.0 gsfonts kdepim-kresources liboil0.3 plasma-widgets-workspace libkonq5 audacious libqt4-xmlpatterns dhcp3-common libpackagekit-qt11 apt libkpgp4 ktorrent gnupg-agent libxine1-misc-plugins sysv-rc kuser libexif12 uuid-runtime x11-common libx11-data systemsettings plasma-widget-quickaccess marble-data libpolkit-qt0 whiptail linux-libc-dev libkorundum4-ruby1.8 kdebase-data python-twisted-runner nvidia-173-modaliases ksystemlog dnsmasq-base libxcb-shm0 libpvm3 xserver-xorg-video-fbdev libthai-data libbonobo2-0 libxau6 libdjvulibre-text libtheora0 libpolkit-dbus2 libgutenprint2 at libcairo-perl cpp libmysqlclient15off initramfs-tools python-crypto gamin mkvtoolnix libxine1 partimage kaddressbook libpython2.6 firefox-3.5-branding bc unzip bogofilter debconf-i18n libbonoboui2-common libsamplerate0 foomatic-db-gutenprint libsasl2-modules libpng12-0 libesd-alsa0 libhunspell-1.2-0 konqueror libx11-6 acpi-support kdebase-workspace-dbg libxfont1 libqt3-mt cpp-4.3 k3b-data libsoup-gnome2.4-1 findutils libiw29 dc mencoder module-init-tools gtk2-engines-pixbuf libgs8 tcpdump libgcc1 redland-utils libwxgtk2.6-0 ubufox kdebase-workspace-wallpapers plasma-widget-ktorrent ed policykit libcurl3 pm-utils libxcb-render0 ubuntu-standard libgweather-common libts-0.0-0 libkleo4 libsnmp15 apport dosfstools libsox-fmt-alsa dnsutils kontact libmp4v2-0 plasma-dataengines-addons gpgv kde-style-qtcurve bash ffmpeg xulrunner-1.9.1 libxcb-shape0 binutils-static python-problem-report xserver-xorg-video-sisusb libpcap0.8 xkb-data anacron xserver-xorg-input-kbd kdebase-runtime ttf-liberation alsa-utils sudo libasound2 libgstreamer0.10-0 klibc-utils libhal-storage1 acpid libglib2.0-0 kdewallpapers mplayer libxxf86vm1 libmpcdec3 min12xxw python-cupshelpers xserver-xorg-video-mach64 libkonqsidebarplugin4 libsm6 linux-headers-generic cups-client xserver-xorg-video-voodoo usplash-theme-ubuntu libplrpc-perl quassel-data libavcodec52 gnupg knotes gimp-help-en update-notifier-common x264 libspectre1 libavahi-common-data kdesudo libglibmm-2.4-1c2a traceroute kdebase-workspace-bin libjack0 libsmbclient libneon27 libtasn1-3 kubuntu-artwork-usplash obex-data-server libgraphviz4 pxljr vorbis-tools lsb-release libgnutls26 toshset libxmu6 kwave libogg0 libqtcore4 libudev0 mlocate ttf-dejavu libdbus-glib-1-2 unattended-upgrades libxcursor1 inputattach mime-support python-twisted-mail libplasma3 dbus-x11 libid3tag0 libxext6 winbind cdrdao kopete iputils-arping libfs6 libtiff4 apmd cron python-minimal gcc-4.3 libgnomevfs2-extra soundkonverter libxpm4 libmimelib4 ncurses-base kmplayer linux-sound-base konqueror-plugin-searchbar software-properties-gtk debconf libxapian15 libck-connector0 xserver-xorg-video-openchrome kdeplasma-addons-dbg libdc1394-22 libavahi-client3 xserver-xorg-video-ark libgtkhtml2-0 libvisual-0.4-plugins ksysguardd python-launchpad-integration libpam-gnome-keyring kdelibs5 hplip-gui libkeyutils1 libattr1 hplip amarok netbase apt-utils libxcb-render-util0 openssl-blacklist plasma-widget-lancelot emacs22-bin-common libxcb1 libpciaccess0 kde-zeroconf libusplash0 librsvg2-2 command-not-found-data libknotificationitem1 system-config-printer-kde libieee1284-3 libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0 x11-xserver-utils kdebase-runtime-data libpango1.0-0 libncursesw5 xserver-xorg-video-r128 libsoprano4 python-dbus kdepasswd libsepol1 libmeanwhile1 libsox-fmt-base avahi-autoipd libwww-perl perl-base command-not-found libavahi-common3 libqt4-sql-mysql libxrandr2 libflac++6 khelpcenter4 libnl1 bogofilter-bdb libshout3 libx86-1 libwbclient0 apparmor libcairomm-1.0-1 kdelibs-dbg kdepimlibs-dbg libmp3lame0 python-twisted-names kbd apturl libboost-regex1.34.1 libgnome2-vfs-perl libdvdread4 ttf-kochi-gothic linux-source libswscale0 libfreetype6 memtest86+ pinentry-qt4 gcj-4.3-base sox python-openssl dhcp3-client libltdl7 ethtool plasma-wallpapers-addons qt-x11-free-dbg xserver-xorg-video-s3 libffi5 libkabcommon4 libexiv2-5 libxklavier15 screen libcompress-raw-zlib-perl ttf-kochi-mincho dragonplayer gcc-4.3-base libqca2-plugin-ossl libselinux1 libgconf2-4 libgtkhtml3.14-19 libbluetooth3 emacs samba-common ncftp ssl-cert libssl0.9.8 libkdecorations4 libxaw7 xserver-xorg-input-wacom dpkg imagemagick foomatic-db libio-compress-zlib-perl binutils plasma-scriptengine-javascript libpulse0 console-terminus readline-common libkontactinterfaces4 libfluidsynth1 libdbus-1-3 libgtk2.0-common kdepim-strigi-plugins libstreams0 mesa-utils kfind libcurl3-gnutls pnm2ppa ucf libavahi-compat-libdnssd1 libnss3-1d gdebi-core diff libgnome2-perl libdv4 libopenobex1 libavformat52 libical0 libavdevice52 kdegraphics-strigi-plugins timidity xserver-xorg-video-tdfx libavc1394-0 libmagic1 libcompress-zlib-perl libkdcraw7 libqt4-opengl emacsen-common gconf2 libkonq5-templates python-gobject kde-printer-applet cups konsole poppler-utils kdebase-plasma libgcj9-0 libgphoto2-port0 apport-qt python-cups xfonts-100dpi libmtp8 mozilla-mplayer libtag1c2a libqt4-dbg hunspell-en-us libruby1.8 wamerican libxcb-xv0 libxvmc1 plasma-widget-folderview kdepim-runtime libgsf-1-common korganizer libsmokekde4-2 libenca0 screen-profiles kate kdelibs5-dbg kpackagekit libgnome2-common libqt4-ruby1.8 libsdl1.2debian alsa-base ubuntu-minimal xserver-xorg-video-i128 libavahi-glib1 ktimetracker gksu kubuntu-docs software-properties-kde libbonobo2-common plasma-scriptengine-ruby python-twisted-bin libcwidget3 libedit2 gwenview vlc-nox fraqtive xserver-xorg-video-nv libgnome-keyring0 make zlib1g kvkbd okular language-pack-kde-en ntfs-3g libpolkit-grant2 libcomerr2 gdebi-kde mdetect libxml-sax-perl xserver-xorg-video-vmware acpi kdebase-runtime-bin-kde4 libqt4-svg libimlib2 nvidia-180-modaliases k3b libxine1-console libgcj-common util-linux libmodplug0c2 kdebase-workspace-data libcupsimage2 libqt4-designer mp3gain libgnomevfs2-common file konversation strigi-daemon xserver-xorg-video-all plasma-runners-addons pciutils net-tools libksieve4 ufw vlc libc6-i686 python2.6 python2.5 plasma-scriptengine-qedje linux-generic hpijs-ppds libgtop2-7 lame libxfixes3 dbus libgail18 groff-base sane-utils libtalloc1 ksnapshot gnome-icon-theme libpam-ck-connector libcanberra0 jockey-common parted libilmbase6 python-newt ksysguard kmail xserver-xorg-video-ati transcode-doc libaa1 libslang2 libqt4-dbus libxine1-bin libelf1 xorg python-gst0.10 nvidia-common psmisc kdebase-runtime-data-common libvorbis0a ttf-freefont gnome-keyring mount libifp4 liblcms1 linux-image-generic libphonon4 libgtk2.0-0 libreadline5 xserver-xorg-video-v4l libpoppler-qt4-3 akregator libxmuu1 xsane libstrigihtmlgui0 console-setup libgtop2-common libtar man-db libatk1.0-data python-libxml2 libmjpegtools-1.9 libgtkmm-2.4-1c2a xserver-xorg-video-chips emacs22-gtk kmix libgp11-0 busybox-initramfs libvorbisenc2 libgpod-common xserver-xorg-video-cirrus kdeplasma-addons gnome-mount consolekit libqedje0 w3m libtunepimp5 sed plasma-scriptengine-python vim-tiny mjpegtools cupsddk kdm xserver-common libnewt0.52 avahi-utils initscripts liblaunchpad-integration1 libdrm2 jockey-kde libklibc libmsn0.1 libxine1-x phonon-backend-xine libtdb1 sg3-utils binfmt-support libijs-0.35 gzip openssh-client linux-firmware libkipi6 libqt4-webkit libkopete4 libxcomposite1 libpam-runtime libpango1.0-common kdepim-groupware akonadi-server strigi-client tasksel-data apt-transport-https iproute adept libxvidcore4 libstdc++6 manpages gdb libqt4-gui klipper libgpg-error0 liblualib50 e2fsprogs shared-mime-info sysvinit-utils bluez ftp ktorrent-data python-twisted-core wireless-tools rdesktop libnspr4-0d libqt4-xml upstart bluez-cups gvfs popularity-contest laptop-mode-tools adobe-flashplugin bind9-host wget update-notifier-kde oxygen-cursor-theme firefox zip xserver-xorg-input-mouse ogmrip-doc libidn11 hdparm lynx-cur python-debian libhal1 language-selector-common libxml2 gtk2-engines-qtcurve python vim-common less dmidecode libqtgui4 kubuntu-desktop libokularcore1 python-gconf liblancelot0 libxxf86dga1 kdebase-workspace-kgreet-plugins libglib2.0-data python-support libavahi-qt3-1 libsdl1.2debian-alsa soprano-daemon iputils-ping amarok-common libgvfscommon0 libqt4-core libhtml-parser-perl libgnomecanvas2-common kmousetool usplash printer-applet libgnome2-canvas-perl tasksel libenchant1c2a ttf-sazanami-gothic bogofilter-common gawk dmsetup python-software-properties libsnmp-base libopenexr6 kdelibs-bin libept0 libblkid1 libqca2 install-package libgomp1 ttf-thai-tlwg libdbd-mysql-perl libthai0 libdb4.6 raptor-utils xserver-xorg-video-s3virge x11-xkb-utils libcap2 xserver-xorg-input-all libgweather1 kdebase-dbg libcairo2 libmarble4 xserver-xorg-input-synaptics libgamin0 ttf-sazanami-mincho libcelt0 gimp libapparmor-perl info libgcj9-jar libvorbisfile3 hal-info libbonoboui2-0 gimp-data lshw kdelibs4c2a libstreamanalyzer0 libxml++2.6-2 kdepimlibs5 kdelibs-data ttf-dejavu-core ocrad lsof transcode unrar language-pack-en gnome-app-install smbfs ttf-opensymbol libxml-simple-perl libtext-wrapi18n-perl librdf0 ncurses-bin nvidia-96-modaliases quassel libpq5 xserver-xorg-video-mga libgcr0 speedcrunch packagekit update-manager-core avahi-daemon libfribidi0 ghostscript xfonts-scalable perl libwmf0.2-7 libavfilter0 dash gimp-help-common bluez-alsa libgnomeui-common libpixman-1-0 libmpfr1ldbl icedax libqt4-assistant aptitude pdftk xserver-xorg-video-radeon libgail-common libfreebob0 mktemp bash-completion libnss-mdns compiz-wrapper liblua50 libaudio2 xserver-xorg-core libneon27-gnutls libvlc2 libc6 audacious-plugins language-pack-en-base lftp hal-cups-utils python-cairo libao2 iptables gcc plasma-widgets-addons libgnomevfs2-0 synaptic krfb libpoppler-glib4 python-qt4 strace language-pack-kde-en-base ijsgutenprint apparmor-utils libavutil49 lynx foo2zjs libsensors3 mobile-broadband-provider-info python-twisted-conch libflac8 libpam0g libgimp2.0 adduser openprinting-ppds openssl ntpdate libstrigiqtdbusclient0 bsdutils python-apt vlc-data ubuntu-keyring libldap-2.4-2 libsndfile1 kdebase-workspace-libs4+5 libgnomecanvasmm-2.6-1c2a eject libvte9 lsb-base libsearchclient0 kde-icons-oxygen cpio smbclient cups-common okular-extra-backends libschroedinger-1.0-0 cups-bsd libgpm2 libgnomeui-0 rsync firefox-3.0 firefox-3.5 usbutils kde-window-manager friendly-recovery kdepimlibs-data ark pvm libsvga1 system-config-printer-common libgsm1 xinit ghostscript-x tar xserver-xorg-video-tseng xinput plasma-scriptengine-webkit libdaemon0 app-install-data libraptor1 foomatic-db-engine libsexy2 libgl1-mesa-dri
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,876 DEBUG cache aufs_rw_dir: /tmp/
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,876 DEBUG Free space on /: 2388889600
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,877 DEBUG Dir /usr mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,877 DEBUG Dir /var mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,877 DEBUG Dir /boot mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,877 DEBUG Dir /var/cache/apt/archives mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,878 DEBUG Dir /tmp mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,878 DEBUG Dir /home mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,878 DEBUG Dir /tmp mounted on /
    2009-11-01 16:14:26,878 DEBUG fs_free contains: '{'/var': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/tmp': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/usr': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/boot': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/home': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>, '/var/cache/apt/archives': <DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>}'
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,028 DEBUG linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic (new-install) added with 15728640 to boot space
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,563 DEBUG dir '/var/cache/apt/archives' needs '1241187506.0' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (2388889600.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,564 DEBUG dir '/usr' needs '603283456.0' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (1147702094.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,564 DEBUG dir '/usr' needs '52428800' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (544418638.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,564 DEBUG dir '/boot' needs '15728640' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (491989838.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,564 DEBUG dir '/tmp' needs '5242880' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (476261198.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,564 DEBUG dir '/' needs '10485760' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (471018318.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:14:27,565 DEBUG dir '/tmp' needs '0.0' of '<DistUpgradeCache.FreeSpace object at 0xa17b66c>' (460532558.000000)
    2009-11-01 16:15:00,282 DEBUG disabling apt cron job (0755)
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,137 DEBUG enabling apport
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,167 DEBUG plugins for condition 'StartUpgrade' are '&#91;]'
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,168 DEBUG plugins for condition 'karmicStartUpgrade' are '&#91;]'
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,168 DEBUG plugins for condition 'from_jauntyStartUpgrade' are '&#91;]'
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,168 DEBUG quirks: running StartUpgrade
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,169 DEBUG check if patch '_usr_sbin_install-docs.268d21f1f1ed5f7a19fffef645ac4d52' needs to be applied
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,169 DEBUG skipping 'README' (no '.')
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,170 DEBUG check if patch '_usr_sbin_install-docs.3533d3b8e8f08f78c95550a7edcbe316' needs to be applied
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,188 DEBUG killing update-notifier
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,205 DEBUG killing kblueplugd kbluetooth4
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,223 DEBUG killing gnome-screensaver
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,241 INFO cache.commit()
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,593 DEBUG fork pid is: 0
    2009-11-01 19:11:14,619 DEBUG fork pid is: 10832
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,464 DEBUG got a conffile-prompt from dpkg for file: '/etc/mime.types'
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,549 ERROR IOError in cache.commit(): '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py''. Retrying (currentTry: 0)
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,550 INFO cache.commit()
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,931 DEBUG fork pid is: 0
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,932 DEBUG fork pid is: 1406
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,933 DEBUG got a conffile-prompt from dpkg for file: '/etc/mime.types'
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,935 ERROR IOError in cache.commit(): '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py''. Retrying (currentTry: 1)
    2009-11-01 19:21:22,935 INFO cache.commit()
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,559 DEBUG fork pid is: 0
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,582 DEBUG fork pid is: 1410
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,582 DEBUG got a conffile-prompt from dpkg for file: '/etc/mime.types'
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,584 ERROR IOError in cache.commit(): '[Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py''. Retrying (currentTry: 2)
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,584 ERROR giving up on fetching after maximum retries
    2009-11-01 19:21:23,728 ERROR not handled exception in KDE frontend:
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/karmic", line 7, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 132, in main
    if app.run():

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1590, in run
    return self.fullUpgrade()

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1564, in fullUpgrade
    if not self.doDistUpgrade():

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1049, in doDistUpgrade
    "%s" % e)

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeViewKDE.py", line 696, in error
    loadUi("dialog_error.ui", dialogue)

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeViewKDE.py", line 59, in loadUi
    uic.loadUi(file, parent)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/__init__.py", line 112, in loadUi

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/Loader/loader.py", line 8, in __init__

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py", line 87, in __init__

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/objcreator.py", line 43, in __init__

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py'

2009-11-01 19:21:23,728 DEBUG running apport_crash()
    2009-11-01 19:21:27,365 DEBUG enabling apt cron job
    2009-11-01 19:21:30,016 ERROR IOError in cache.commit(): '[Errno 5] Input/output error'. Retrying (currentTry: 2)
    2009-11-01 19:21:30,017 ERROR giving up on fetching after maximum retries
    2009-11-01 19:21:30,026 ERROR not handled exception in KDE frontend:
    Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/karmic", line 7, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeMain.py", line 132, in main
    if app.run():

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1590, in run
    return self.fullUpgrade()

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1564, in fullUpgrade
    if not self.doDistUpgrade():

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeController.py", line 1049, in doDistUpgrade
    "%s" % e)

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeViewKDE.py", line 696, in error
    loadUi("dialog_error.ui", dialogue)

File "/tmp/tmpGy0zA0/DistUpgradeViewKDE.py", line 59, in loadUi
    uic.loadUi(file, parent)

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/__init__.py", line 112, in loadUi

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/Loader/loader.py", line 8, in __init__

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/uiparser.py", line 87, in __init__

File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/PyQt4/uic/objcreator.py", line 43, in __init__

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/usr/share/python-qt4/widget-plugins/kde4.py'

2009-11-01 19:21:30,027 DEBUG running apport_crash()
    2009-11-01 19:21:30,218 DEBUG enabling apt cron job

[file ends here]

Re: 9.04 -&gt; 9.10, KDESudo Segfault during install...

Net slow for now (roommates :-) )... i'm going to attempt again soon, but again, any brainstorms before then are most welcome. Thanks! -c

Comment

Hmmm... just did another many-hour download. This time, it didn't even get to the install. The last file was downloaded, ticker at 99%, kbps readout disappears, 1247 of 1247 files downloaded, and it just stops. No CPU usage, no net usage, nothing new in the three logs in /var/log/dist-upgrade/... I think next time I'm going to try the package update first, and then do a dist upgrade... unless anyone has any brainstorms...

Thanks,
      -c

Comment

Well, before trying the regular-update-before-distribution update path, I killed the update window and started it again to see if it would remember the downloaded packages, which it did, thankfully, so I tried the upgrade. Same segfault happened. This time, I monitored the file referred to by the above errors as the update proceeded. I believe it was around when the update log reported:

Preparing to replace python-kde4 4:4.3.1-0ubuntu1~jaunty1 (using .../python-kde4_4%3a4.3.2-0ubuntu4_i386.deb) ...
        Unpacking replacement python-kde4 ...

...that the file disappeared. (It's a link to a file in the /usr/lib/python area...) So perhaps this missing file is triggering a bug that is otherwise not triggered. I'm thus hopeful that doing the update first might help... when i get another several hours of free time i'll try again, and as usual i welcome any ideas.

Thanks,
        -c

Comment

I may be wrong but I thought that the release notes suggested that you complete a full update before you attempt the upgrade...

I know that it shouldn't make a real difference, but maybe it does for some reason.

Try the regular-update-before-distribution update thing and see how it goes.

FWIW - I did a full update before the upgrade and it certainly didn't help me!!! Will get there though...

Comment

Huh, i always miss the memo, i tell you. I just re-read the KDE and 9.10 release pages and don't see anything about that, but it makes sense that it might help. Download in progress... I'll report back... -c

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] 9.04 -&gt; 9.10, KDESudo Segfault during install...

What is KDE means ?Is it Kentucky Department of Education .,I want to know it ,.I am little confused about this .,I do really want to know.,

Comment

Working...
              X