This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 but can't go to 9.10

Hello all. I've upgraded from Kubuntu 8.10 to 9.04 and that went fine. But I'm running into problems upgrading from 9.04 to 9.10. First I tried with just the upgrade option in the bottom right corner by the clock. It runs through some things and starts downloading the files necessary (takes forever) and then begins the upgrade process after I tell it to go ahead and it doesn't get anywhere - it doesn't install any files. Instead I get an error message which I don't have right now.

The reason I don't have that error message is because I came to the boards and found the upgrade info if I want to use a CD instead. I tried that and I got the following after it went through Preparing, Setting channels, getting packages, and then Installing:

Could not install upgrades: The upgrade is now aborted. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a). There's a report bug button and when I click on it I get the following in terminal (I used terminal to launch the upgrade from the CD):

jon@kubuntu:~$ kdesudo sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade

adept_manager: no process killed
    adept_updater: no process killed
    gpgv: Signature made Tue 27 Oct 2009 01:28:21 PM EDT using DSA key ID FBB75451
    gpgv: Good signature from "Ubuntu CD Image Automatic Signing Key <cdimage@ubuntu.com>"
    * Starting automatic crash report generation: apport
    ...done.
    konqueror(5139) FixHostUriFilter::filterUri: FixHostUriFilter::filterUri: KUrl("https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...ager/+filebug")
    konqueror(5139) KonqViewManager::setCurrentProfile: "webbrowsing" localPath= "/root/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/webbrowsing"
    konqueror(5139) KToolInvocation::klauncher: klauncher not running... launching kdeinit
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/klauncher
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kded4
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/bin/kbuildsycoca4
    kbuildsycoca4 running...
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kconf_update
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch
    kdeinit4: preparing to launch /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/kio_http_cache_cleaner
    kded(5156) Solid::Control::ManagerBasePrivate::loadBackend: Backend loaded: "NetworkManager 0.7"
    kded(5156) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() successful for "networkstatus"
    kded(5156) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() successful for "kcookiejar"
    kded(5156) KDEDModule::setModuleName: registerObject() successful for "favicons"
    konqueror(5139): The kwalletd service has been disabled
    QObject::connect: Cannot connect (null)::walletOpened(bool) to KHTMLWalletQueue::walletOpened(bool)

Any ideas what's keeping me from upgrading? I really don't want to do a clean install because I'm a newbie and it takes me days, if not weeks to get everything configured all over again.

Re: Upgraded from 8.10 to 9.04 but can't go to 9.10

I would boot off the live desktop CD, backup your Home folder using Tar and then do a fresh install and then restore your home folder.

If your laptop uses the ATI Radeon Mobility 7500 or M6 graphics card, then don't bother with 9.10 as there is a bug in the display driver.

Comment

Working...
    X