This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean install fails to install grub [Solved]

I spent most of yesterday trying to get karmic running.
    I ended up having to recreate the partition table before the installer could use my volume.

The install fails at the end from the live installer.
    It completes from the alternate ok, but fails to install grub.
    I have tried the live disc, alternate disc, and even the ubuntu server disc, all to no avail.
    Supergrub disc laughs at me as well when I try to use it to boot the installation.

I have installed jaunty onto another partition and can access the volumes, but it's grub install didn't add the karmic install as an option.
    So now I have a nice clean install of karmic that I cannot boot into.

I am installing onto a RAID volume created with the main board utilities.
    The board is an asus m3a with the amd chipset. This has been a good board to me but I am wondering if the amd chipset is not playing nice with grub2.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can get this bad karma to boot so that I can repair grub?
    You don't need a license to drive a sandwich.

Re: Clean install fails to install grub

Originally posted by Pillage Idiot

I am installing onto a RAID volume created with the main board utilities.
    This is undoubtedly the source of all your problems. I think you're facing a choice here:

1. For some reason the OS really does need to be on a RAID array >> go do the research on mdadm, dmraid, google "linux fakeraid" and make yourself an expert on that topic, or ...

2. The OS really doesn't need to be on a RAID array -- find a partition on one of the drives where Kubuntu can be installed, and it should proceed straight through to completion.

Reference: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...3735#msg193735

Comment

RAID, Intel Matrix FakeRAID, installing with GRUB 2, user case (by abigsky, Reply #9):
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...seen#msg201558
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I have been using the main board RAID since 7.10 without any issues.
        Jaunty installs and runs fine on it, dual boot with XP and Win 7RC.
        However, I can't say that I am a fan of the amd chipset.
        I have looked at your provided links and it would appear that grub2 is a little problematic at this stage of it's life.
        I am going to use uck to build a disc using grub1 and see how that goes.

Comment

Yes, somehow build GRUB Legacy into it. I don't know anything about RAID except its definition, but you do + GRUB, so hopefully you can make it go. Good luck. And maybe someone else can pitch in here, too. Let us know.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If someone can help me to boot this volume directly without the bootloader installed that would be appreciated.

Comment

If you can access the GRUB Legacy image files (maybe using a live CD to your Jaunty), you could manually build /boot/grub, then use stndard methods to "re-install" GRUB Legacy.

Image files are located in
              /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc

Methods:
              How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
              http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
              SECTION 3: Re-installing GRUB: the cure for many problems.

=> which you can do from a live CD (see the how-to).
              Note the use of the important geometry command to identify your drives:
              grub>geometry (hdx,y)

Would be nice if SGD could somehow get you into Jaunty. I guess you tried all options on it.

Comment

Re: Clean install fails to install grub [Solved, sort of]

Thanks for your input guys.
                I ended up installing on a simple volume and changing to AHCI.
                The installer still said that it failed to install grub and offered the legacy version.
                That failed too.

But, low and behold, when I reboot I get a grub menu and boot list!
                So it is now running, but the changes to cups mean that I am now having issues getting my network printers working.

I think that for now I will head back to old faithful jaunty while the bleeding edge gets a bit of time to heal and stabilise.
                Bugger.

Comment

Re: Clean install fails to install grub [Solved, sort of]

Well, if given the choice between a printer problem and a boot problem, I'll take the boot problem every time (and solve it so I can get into my Kubuntu!). That said, printer problems are often more difficult to solve than boot problems imo! Glad you got a temporary solution you can live with as you take time to look at it more.

Comment

Re: Clean install fails to install grub [Solved]

Just an update, the workaround that I have settled on is to do a clean install to my RAID volume of the 9.04 base system and upgrade from that.
                    This retains grub 1 but brings in all of the new goodness.
                    From there I install all of the other apps, repos, etc.

UCK does not work on Karmic of any flavour at the moment, so that option has been ruled out for now.

The printer issues required a couple of extra binaries from the repos to get working, although my ink jet printer has some calibration issues.
                    I will get to that and beat it too, but not today.

All in all I am very pleased with the improvements in Karmic, although it is difficult to put a finger on specifics.
                    Overall Karmic has a more polished feel to it than Jaunty, which is only really noticeable when going back to Jaunty.
                    KDE4 just keeps improving in leaps and bounds too, I could not bear to use 4.2 again even though I was very impressed with it at the time it was released.

Big hugs go out to all the guys who put their time and effort into bringing Kubuntu and KDE to the unwashed masses.
                    You guys too for all the support that you provide to the community.

Comment

Re: Clean install fails to install grub [Solved]

Glad you got it, and many thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                      X