Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Partially SOLVED] Edit GRUB Menu (acpi=off + reboot=bios)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Partially SOLVED] Edit GRUB Menu (acpi=off + reboot=bios)?

Hello

I got an old laptop for a friend of mine (Dell Inspiron 2500), he used to use Ubuntu 8.04.

He wanted to try Xubuntu 9.04 but it wouldn't boot.
    After a while I discovered that I had to add "acpi=off" in the kernel boot command.

I thought a BIOS upgrade would fix it. Using the old Ubuntu I was able to use the "dellBiosUpdate" to update the bios.

The PCMCIA doesn't work anymore for some reason, I'm thinking to downgrade again. The problem is when it restarts the bios doesn't update/downgrade (using the new Ubuntu).

I followed the advice there:
    http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php...dellBiosUpdate

Doing a warm reboot doesn't work, Ubuntu 8.10, 9.04 & 9.10 when using "reboot=bios" in the kernel boot command.

My problems are as follows:

#1 How to warm reboot Ubuntu 9.10 (knowing reboot=bios doesn't enable bios updating)
    #2 How to edit the new GRUB's menu so I would add the "acpi=off" permanently.
    Note: /boot/grub/menu.lst doesn't exist (using GRUB beta, installed by default with Ubuntu 9.10 installer).

Re: Edit GRUB Menu (acpi=off + reboot=bios)?

#2 How to edit the new GRUB's menu so I would add the "acpi=off" permanently.

Kernel options are kept in a file /etc/default/grub.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: Edit GRUB Menu (acpi=off + reboot=bios)?

Thanks Qqmike .. You're replies are always appreciated.

It wasn't straight forward though but done it

I had to:
      Code:
      sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
      Then add the line pointed to by arrow:
      "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off""

Code:
      # If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
      # /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
      #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
      GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
      GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
      GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
      GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi=off" <----------

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
      #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
      # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
      # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
      #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
      #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entrys
      #GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_RECOVERY="true"
      Then you have to update grub:
      Code:
      sudo update grub
      This would generate the "/boot/grub/grub.cfg"
      Which I was trying to edit even with root privileges but couldn't
      http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
      Manual Editing of grub.cfg (Not encouraged)
      Manual editing of /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not encouraged. Think of grub.cfg as a result, not as an initiator. The files that should be edited are contained in the /etc/grub.d folders and the /etc/default/grub file.

In order to discourage its editing, grub.cfg is read-only. Even attempting to open, edit and save this file using root privileges cannot be done until the 'read-only' status is changed.
      Thanks again ; )

The 1st problem remains, the warm reboot.

Comment

Re: [Partially SOLVED] Edit GRUB Menu (acpi=off + reboot=bios)?

Nice work, thanks for feedback.
        grub.cfg -- yes, read only; you gotta flip the write bit on it first; problem is, after editing it, and after an update, grub.cfg will go back to how it was before your edit (unless you have edited /etc/default/grub, as you have done).
        GRUB 2 A Guide for Users

Sorry, I don't know about the warm boot issue. I have seen the kernel option called noprompt used in similar situations but that involved "booting from iso." You could try it, wouldn't hurt, and then delete it if it didn't help.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks

ummm I think I've broke the machine.

I've added the lines to "/etc/default/grub":
          Code:
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noprompt" 
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=bios"
          Then :
          Code:
          sudo update grub
          When I reboot the system freezes, even in the recovery mode & even when I delete what I've added.

Note that adding the previous commands in grub prior booting i.e using "e" to edit the boot command & add "reboot=bios" & "noprompt" then press "Ctrl + x" to boot, continues without trouble.

I really do not know what did the grub update change in the list, since it automatically updates it, but since removing what seems to have been added doesn't resolve it, it seems there is a problem there in grub I guess.

Since it's a fresh install I'm reinstalling again. But it would be a problem from people testing the command that works in manual editing while grub update causes system to freeze if it changes other attributes.

Unless what I did was wrong.

Note that I did add:
          Code:
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noprompt" 
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="reboot=bios"
          But in the kernel's boot command I only found "noprompt"

Just thought I'd give a feedback.

Comment

Instead of re-install, maybe you could just re-install GRUB 2 from a live CD, or use Super Grub Disk to boot into Kubuntu and re-install GRUB 2 from there.
            Section 3:
            GRUB 2 A Guide for Users

Comment

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks again Qqmike.

I've been troubleshooting this laptop for about 2 weeks now, just fed up with all the troubleshooting : P

At last the owner told me he wants Xubuntu, mostly cause the machine is old Pentuim III - 256 MB of RAM.

The new installation is going to happen there is no escape.

Still having trouble downgrading the BIOS - as I've said after BIOS update the PCMCIA stopped working & there is no built in wireless nor Ethernet port. So either be able to downgrade & hopefully it would work (to use the PCMCIA wireless card he got) or use a USB wireless stick.

Got off topic a bit there, but thanks again.

; )

Comment

Hi 0x00FE, OK, good, case closed with a new install of a new OS Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                X