This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 update failed, then said it was finished

Kubuntu 9.10 update had one error during the install(some lib file) then after all was finished at the very very end, it said Install failed, will run recovery. It did not visually run a recovery and my window closed after clicking on the affirmative, and telling me that the install finished with errors.

I know it was probably stupid but I restarted the computer using the regular restart(no hard boot or anything)

now it loads to the splash screen then switches to a terminal view of various checks. Then after checking for battery it says "done" then stops doing anything. No sounds, no nothing..

Although it does still seem to know to cut the video feed to the monitor after a time, or at least black it out(the mouse wakes it up)

Commands don't seem to work. Typed LS to no avail, and as a, test typed a few expletives with no response(usually it would say "command not found")

it is odd, and I don't know that much about OS's in general. I have booted to W7 and burned an install disk but I would like to know if there is a better solution.

Danke
    &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 update failed, then said it was finished

What happens when you boot into the recovery mode?

Comment

just did, or a little while ago after backing stuff up with a live cd. anyway it booted to a small menu, from which i selected the DPKG option. It seemed to finish my install, except it still says nvidia (185.18.36)... ... Fail!

but at least in recovery mode I can get to a terminal. In regular mode it still says the same thing as before:

udev[2605]: inotify_add_watch(6, (null), 10) failed: Bad address

fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16
      /dev/sdb1: clean, 194804/60309504 files, 27155861/241221991 blocks
      * preparing restricted drivers...
      * Starting apparmor profiles
      * setting sensor limits
      * running DKMS auto installation service for kernel 2.6.27-11-generic
      * nvidia (185.18.36)...
      ...fail!
      * starting disk temperature monitoring daemon hddtemp:
      * starting kernel Oops catching service kerneloops
      * starting Samba daemons
      * starting sensor deamon sensord
      * starting the winbind daemon winbind
      * starting Common Unix Printing System: cupsd
      * Enabling additional executable binary formats binfmt-support
      * checking battery state...
      ...done.

then it does nothing else.. for as long as this took to type(slow typer)
      &quot;Your doctrines are grandiose but useless, that is why no one accepts them.&quot; Hui Tzu<br />____________ __ __ __ __ __ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ <br />AMD Phenom II x4 940 Denab 3.708Ghz Black Edition<br />XFX NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT 710MHz<br />G.SKILL 2x2GB DDR2<br />Kubuntu 9.10....&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; ....oh and w7 for games

Comment

I guess it was just the nvidia driver was bad. After reinstall I could not apply the nvidia 185 driver untill this morning. All fixed.

Comment

Working...
        X