This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [SOLVED] Intel GMA915 - Disappointing

Thanks Q! I'll look at that link. Good info to know. I'd hate to see how I'd react after it acts up after such an update and I didn't know why. What is odd is this was a fresh install and it generated the xorg.conf file with vesa driver originally. The only thing I can think could have done that is I was in safe graphics mode. The only way I could get the Live CD to run. I'm still disappointed in Intel.

Yea, I've been eyeing the Full Moon since yesterday. This December is Blue Moon. Two full moons in the month. Happens, well, every blue moon.

Comment

The only thing I can think could have done that is I was in safe graphics mode. The only way I could get the Live CD to run.
      that would do it .......the best I can tell a live cd install will try to match the runing sys. or thats the way it has seamd to me at times.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Well, I've been waiting and haven't seen anything coming down the pike for fixing this issue. I've tried all sorts of things and nothing will correct the GMA915 to how it did under 9.04. I mean, most everything works, but not the greatest. I've seen it do WAY better. Kind of disappointing. I love KK on this machine. It runs better than it ever has. It's just that one nagging issue that has me perplexed as to why.

Comment

Hi

I found one very interesting thing. By running ksystemlog I have found that there is an xorg log tab which conveys a whole load of information. From this I learned that whatever was put in my xorg.conf file, it was being ignored. I don't know whether it helps but it also indicates warnings so it might give a clue as to what's up with yours?

Comment

@Moon, this is a bit of a stretch, but on sidux forum there was a fellow having a problem with a GMA915, on kernel 2.6.32, and it appears to have been fixed with a boot option of

i915.modeset=0

So, you need to rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else, reboot and use "e" on the boot menu to add that option to the kernel boot line, and boot it, and chant a prayer to the little monkey-god.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
              @Moon, this is a bit of a stretch, but on sidux forum there was a fellow having a problem with a GMA915, on kernel 2.6.32, and it appears to have been fixed with a boot option of

i915.modeset=0

So, you need to rename /etc/X11/xorg.conf to something else, reboot and use "e" on the boot menu to add that option to the kernel boot line, and boot it, and chant a prayer to the little monkey-god.
              Yep, that is how I was able to obtain reasonable graphics, but it still no where the way it was. I'm only using the xorg.conf when experimenting with why it's broken. I always go back to the modeset boot option and no xorg.conf. As I said, it's OK and works, for the most part, but still not what I'm used to.

Comment

Working...
              X