This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Intel GMA915 - Disappointing

OK. I've had short convos with some here about KK and Intel Graphics. I couldn't make comments until upgrading this laptop. The drivers for this GMA card doesn't even appear to load. No 3d capabilities at all. I have to agree with Snowhog and that this really is very disappointing, especially knowing it has always worked in earlier releases. So I have to ask, especially on an older machine, WHY? Don't get me wrong here. KK is running very nicely here, it just makes no sense regardless of some issues recently with Intel. This card worked before. No reason it shouldn't now. Does any one have a clue where I should start?

Re: Intel GMA915 - Disappointing

Have also found that it no longer resumes from "Sleep" mode properly. Just get a black screen now. Have to CTRL ALT DEL out which actually seems to work that way. I fairly sure this is related to the graphics issue. Also, trying to reconfigure X the old traditional way doesn't seem to work at all either. I'd hate to go backwards in releases, but I might if these issues aren't/can't be resolved soon.

Comment

I thought the intel drivers in 9.10 were supposed to be much better than 9.04? My laptop uses intel graphics but wasn't upgraded since 8.10.

Comment

Couldn't tell you if that is true as I can't get it to use the correct driver. It keeps wanting to use the VESA driver. The correct Intel Driver from the repos is installed, but I can find no way to get the system to use it. At least at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
          I thought the intel drivers in 9.10 were supposed to be much better than 9.04?
          They are new and should bring improvements (like KMS), but obviously there are issues (at least with some chips/setups)

Originally posted by MoonRise
          Have also found that it no longer resumes from "Sleep" mode properly.
          Which suspend method do you use? If you use kernel suspend, I'd recommend trying out userspace suspend (uswsusp).

You can check which suspend module is in use by checking /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module

If you wish to try out uswsusp, follow these steps:
          1. install package uswsusp
          2. check configuration file /etc/uswsusp.conf, key 'resume device =' should point to your swap partition.
          3. You can test whether suspend/hibernate works by running 'sudo s2both' (suspend) and 'sudo s2disk' (hibernate)
          4. if they work, edit /etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module, and change the sleep module to uswsusp.

s2both will save the image to both memory and disk, so if you run out of power while sleeping, you can still resume from disk.

(more info is available with 'man s2disk' and 'man uswsusp.conf'...once uswsusp is installed)

Comment

OK. Some progress on the Sleep Mode. That file you referenced wasn't even set. Once setting it I can now resume from sleep with a black screen still, but this time around if I do CTRL ALT F12 and then back to CTRL ALT F7, I get my picture back. So I'm still leaning to a graphics driver issue. Now if I can figure out how to force the Intel Driver to load, I think I'll be set.

Comment

That file you referenced wasn't even set.
              You mean it didn't exist?
              (it's in pm-utils package)

EDIT: Ah...you probably mean /etc/uswsusp.conf

Comment

No, the setting in "/etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module"was commented out. I removed the "#". I have found that xorg.conf is finally parsed correctly. I had some old xorg.conf files I saved as "emergency" files when X wasn't so automated. Unfortunately using what drivers were mentioned in there either gave LARGE text syndrome or just the prompt. So if I can figure out which "Driver" needs to be listed in the xorg.conf, I might get what I want.

Comment

Ah...re-read your post Kubicle. Forgot step "1. install package uswsusp". Duh! Step 1.!!! Hello! First thing to do and I skip it. Now Sleep to RAM works great! Now for the dang driver issue.

Comment

No, the setting in "/etc/pm/config.d/00sleep_module"was commented out. I removed the "#".
                    Ah, well..."kernel" is the default that is used if the line is commented out, so there should be no difference if you only removed the "#"...go figure. Did you give uswsusp a go?

EDIT:
                    Right then, all working suspend wise.

Comment

Yes, suspend all well and I did switch it to uswsusp. Still working on the Driver issue. I think it is being purposefully blocked. Could be wrong. I am often.

Comment

Still working on the Driver issue. I think it is being purposefully blocked. Could be wrong. I am often.
                        I think this is correct. I read earlier (some where - Ubuntuforums?) that in Karmic, 'some/all?' Intel drivers are blacklisted because of a 'memory' (?) issue. Something along those lines anyway. But, still, I agree with you. The same Intel GPU worked flawlessly with Jaunty and earlier releases. Why did they have to 'break' it in Karmic!? Very disappointing.
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Where is the blacklist on the system? Do you know? I'd like to take a look at it.

Comment

Ubuntu 9.04 and Intel graphics

Deals with Jaunty, but it does address the why of it all. I still hope that this gets resolved, and soon, in Karmic, else, I will dump it from my system and probably reinstall Jaunty.
                            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I hate to say it but the same here as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X